Anyone else think they are making phones too thin?

Pologuy

Reaction score
It seems as though thin is the in thing - and has been.

To me, it seems as though these new cell phones are becoming almost too thin.

They are harder to hold, etc...

Anyone else?

:)

24c

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID TURBO
I have the Tech21 case on mine and for me it is fine. The Otterbox Commuter case isn't bad either.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
It seems as though thin is the in thing - and has been.

To me, it seems as though these new cell phones are becoming almost too thin.

They are harder to hold, etc...

Anyone else?

:)
I tell my Wife the same thing, "Honey if I get TOO Thin you simply will not be able to hold me. I'll slip right out of your hands!"
So far she is letting me eat so......

But yes, as with most things If More is better than TOO much must be even better same in reverse, If LESS is better they won't stop until it's not there and we'll all be staring at non-existent phones and trying to buy them.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I tend to agree, but that's just the way things trend. I remember when Moto had the Startac or whatever that little flip phone was called. It wasn't so much about being thin back in those days as it was for the whole package to be small.

When you figure how big the original cell phones were (a la Saved By the Bell), it's kinda easy to see how people would like the more compact form factor and competition drove the size down.

Along the same lines, if you look at how thick the first (especially android) smartphones were, the G1, the OG Droid, they featured slide out qwerty keyboards and were quite thick, so once we stopped relying on those physical keyboards, they trended thinner and people bought them.

However, I FULLY agree that we're getting to a point where enough is enough for my tastes.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I agree. I actually like the feel that a case provides today's phones with better "holdability". (Yes, that is a word.....now)

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's actually been an easy transition for me because of that fact. I never really kept a case on a device until the s4 & that was mostly because of the slick back, but it was weird using it without the case at first, which I ended up doing for the last 6 months or so before upgrading & now the Note 4 has been nestled in one since the case arrived.

Sent from my Note 4

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I don't mind thin phones because I like using cases which adds just enough bulk depending on the case.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Until I got a Note2 every digital phone I'd ever, including my star tac, I had extended batteries on so they wouldn't be too small in my hand. The Note2 I put a Defender on because it was too thin. I don't have a Defender on this G2 because the ergonomics just fit my hand even though it's thin. The curves on the back fit right at my first knuckle on every finger but my pinkie, taking the pressure off of trying to grip it with my thumb and squeeze it with my fingers. The G3 I'd need a Defender on because I'd need more girth so my palm would touch the back since it's too wide for my joints at their bend point.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
The only thing that has kept me from griping about thin phones is removable batteries.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Like this one?

battery_auto_i-line.jpg

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I almost went with the 10,000 mAH zerolemon battery on the Note 3 and then came to my senses. Ordered two regular sized backup batteries instead.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The thinner phones are hit and miss. My next phone will have to be kept in my front pocket instead of the back.

It has been tough breaking old habits, but I have almost achieved it with my i6. I've caught myself a few times almost sitting on it.