Anyone else notice?

Desicrator

Reaction score
Ok before I begin I want to say I understand why devs include ads and I am NOT in anyway ripping on the devs choice to put them in.

Also I wanna say that I have supported my share of devs by buying the licenses and "pro" versions.

But has anyone else noticed that some devs, (not so much the devs within the community, but rather companies). Have used Ads less as a way to generate revenue but rather as a way to punish the free users, 2 apps like this I can think of are Twitdroyd and ChompSMS, Chomp has taken to using full page ads when you send some messages, very disappointing, where before they just had a banner ad, not in the way or anything.

I am not saying they cannot do this, because they made the app, it just is just disappointing that this is starting to happen. I do support the apps that are created by devs that are in the community but am a little more leery to throw $6.00 at a company.

I know I am going to get alot of hate but I just needed to get this off my chest.

lterry913

Reaction score
I agree with you...if you get an app while it was free and it was not add supported I feel you should be grandfathered in to the app the way it started...as the app is more refined they could charge new users or offer add supported to them...on another note handcent is still free in the market and I really prefer it to chomp anyway.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Interesting topic. I disagree.

An application that constantly gets updated, like Chomp, deserves some sort of payment. I think ads, although they may be annoying is a small price to pay for the continued development of an application.

Let's say you downloaded Chomp when Droids were running 2.0.1. You have to build the app for the OS. For this the developer should receive some form of compensation for their time and effort.

If you don't like the fact that there is ads on an app, then it's your peragotive to simply not install the update or uninstall the app.

IMHO we are a bit spoiled here in the Android Market. So much free stuff. Ever been to the iPhone/iPad app store? If you have you realize how lucky we are to have the access to so much free stuff.

Ads are annoying, that I certainly agree. How about you write the developer and ask them to provide a paid alternative? Yes, you pay one time and you own the app and it's updates. This might be a recourse for you. But feeling you are entitled to not pay just because you had the app early on in development is a bit outrageos.

droidman101

Reaction score

An application that constantly gets updated, like Chomp, deserves some sort of payment. I think ads, although they may be annoying is a small price to pay for the continued development of an application.

Let's say you downloaded Chomp when Droids were running 2.0.1. You have to build the app for the OS. For this the developer should receive some form of compensation for their time and effort.

If you don't like the fact that there is ads on an app, then it's your peragotive to simply not install the update or uninstall the app.

IMHO we are a bit spoiled here in the Android Market. So much free stuff. Ever been to the iPhone/iPad app store? If you have you realize how lucky we are to have the access to so much free stuff.

Ads are annoying, that I certainly agree. How about you write the developer and ask them to provide a paid alternative? Yes, you pay one time and you own the app and it's updates. This might be a recourse for you. But feeling you are entitled to not pay just because you had the app early on in development is a bit outrageos.

Its not so much the ads as the fact that they arent just a bar on the bottom anymore, theyre a full page
and I sorta have to agree with not wanting to pay $6 just to remove ads

OP
Desicrator

Desicrator

Reaction score

Yea good point about choosing to download, and that would be a good reason to read more than 10 comments in the market :). Yea they do do a lot of work with chomp, and keeping it updated fast which is very cool. And I get the feeling that that grandfathering thing no matter how awesome would be abused, bad.

I guess It is just more they way that they implement the ads, choosing to do full screen popups versus just banners. But I guess you get more clicks that way no matter how much it was by accident.

and yes we are very very spoiled :) there is an AMAZING community with the Droid.

Its not so much the ads as the fact that they arent just a bar on the bottom anymore, theyre a full page
and I sorta have to agree with not wanting to pay $6 just to remove ads

Yes this is probably my biggest complaint how they are leaving the banner section and now trying to be all sneaky.

PhilD

Reaction score
i don't understand why folks think they are entitled to free apps. it takes a lot of time to build and maintain a high quality app across multiple OS builds and multiple platforms. if the dev wants to charge a fee (via payment or ads), then that is his/her prerogative. similarly, we are free to either use such an app or find an alternative. choice is a wonderful thing.

for apps that i use frequently and rely on, i always buy adfree versions if available, i buy donate versions even when adfree versions are also available, and i donate separately when donate versions are not available. it's my way of saying thanks to the dev for building a quality app and to encourage him/her to continue to maintain the app so i will be able to use it for years to come.

droidman101

Reaction score
i don't understand why folks think they are entitled to free apps. it takes a lot of time to build and maintain a high quality app across multiple OS builds and multiple platforms. if the dev wants to charge a fee (via payment or ads), then that is his/her prerogative. similarly, we are free to either use such an app or find an alternative. choice is a wonderful thing.

for apps that i use frequently and rely on, i always buy adfree versions if available, i buy donate versions even when adfree versions are also available, and i donate separately when donate versions are not available. it's my way of saying thanks to the dev for building a quality app and to encourage him/her to continue to maintain the app so i will be able to use it for years to come.

but $6 for an app just to remove ads is all it is

OP
Desicrator

Desicrator

Reaction score

I Def agree they can put ads if they want to. I also have supported my share of devs. Its just more how they are switching to full screen ads. Oh well.

But I do agree we are not entitled to free apps

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App