Anyone else notice AT&T's ability to "amplify" the facts?

gsdreams

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone else has noticed things like this:

""We’ve invested $75 billion in our wireless and wired networks over the last four years — more capital invested in the U.S. than any company in any industry. "

They quote both "Wired" and wireless. Where as all other carriers show seperately how much they spend on there networks for "Wireless" alone.

And I am curious, I don't remember AT&T ever doing anything in the time frame they give. Could this be a first with there new LTE network?

Just looking for opinions. :)

cobjones

Reaction score
I left those cheats when they bought up me from Cingular... went to Sprint (they lie about how much cheaper they are... only $5 more a month now) and couldn't keep a signal outside of the city or interstate...

Now I am with Verizon and just waiting for the Bionic... best customer service from about any company that I have delt with.

Sent from my DROID2

apl3

Reaction score
I have been with verizon since before they became Verizon EXCELLENT customer service. ATT has horrible tech/service we dumped our Uverse because of that. I told them I would never consider an AT&T phone after their horrid customer service.

cutiedroid

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone else has noticed things like this:

""We’ve invested $75 billion in our wireless and wired networks over the last four years — more capital invested in the U.S. than any company in any industry. "

They quote both "Wired" and wireless. Where as all other carriers show seperately how much they spend on there networks for "Wireless" alone.

And I am curious, I don't remember AT&T ever doing anything in the time frame they give. Could this be a first with there new LTE network?

Just looking for opinions. :)

Anyone remember the Xmas commercial where AT&T's iPhone landed on the island of misfit toys because of AT&T's poor wireless coverage? (I thot I'd never stop laughing at that one.) It really hurt AT&T's feelings and they rushed to get their coverage commercials on TV. As I was buying my droid I asked the Verizon rep about the network wars and who really won. Of course she'd say Verizon, but she also said to make their network more extensive AT&T included their wired along with their wireless service.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums using SlideIT

Big Ry

Reaction score
How about...

"AT&T: getting faster with 4G"

What a crock of shiz that is. Cleary they are avoiding any wording that implies that they currently have 4G. And even despite the fact that no current carrier's 4G network technically meets the definition of "4G", AT&T literally did NOTHING but slap a 4G sticker on their 3G technology. They literally changed nothing. My buddy and i compaired speeds a few weeks ago. His Atrix in AT&T 4G vs. my D2 on VZW 3G...i smoked his atrix. My DL was 4-5 times faster, and my UL was 10 times faster. AT&T's 3G is even supposed to be faster than VZWs, but clearly thats not the case.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

DaWolf85

Reaction score
What I really hate are their commercials stating they have "the nation's fastest mobile broadband network".
Has anybody else noticed that statement is complete and utter bull? It would be arguable if they referred only to 3G, but they don't. One could reasonably interpret their statements as asserting their network is faster than LTE. I think there may even be grounds for a false advertising claim there.

UNC

Reaction score
How about...

What a crock of shiz that is. Cleary they are avoiding any wording that implies that they currently have 4G. And even despite the fact that no current carrier's 4G network technically meets the definition of "4G", AT&T literally did NOTHING but slap a 4G sticker on their 3G technology. They literally changed nothing. My buddy and i compaired speeds a few weeks ago. His Atrix in AT&T 4G vs. my D2 on VZW 3G...i smoked his atrix. My DL was 4-5 times faster, and my UL was 10 times faster. AT&T's 3G is even supposed to be faster than VZWs, but clearly thats not the case.

Your DL was 4-5 times faster with Verizon 3g? I find that hard to believe. When I had iPhone 3gs I would regularly get DLs in the 2-3mbp/s on Verizon 3g I get 1-1.4mbp/s....

And by the way, Verizon LTE DOES in fact meet the definition of 4g as the International body that decides such things has stated.

Big Ry

Reaction score
How about...

Your DL was 4-5 times faster with Verizon 3g? I find that hard to believe. When I had iPhone 3gs I would regularly get DLs in the 2-3mbp/s on Verizon 3g I get 1-1.4mbp/s....

And by the way, Verizon LTE DOES in fact meet the definition of 4g as the International body that decides such things has stated.

Yup that much faster. But you also need to consider the loadng on their network at that point...it could have been high. We only tested one time, so i cant really state that the speed is always that slow.

If you look up the definition of 4G, there are some outlandish speed requirements that no carrier is anywhere close to meeting. This may have changed though since i last looked. I know the whole thing has been a bit rocky since the inception of 4G, so the definition may have been revised.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Obviously before the "4G" was turned on for the Atrix. Even then, as pointed out, AT&T is generally faster. It was widely reported that VZW network for the IPhones was about 30% slower (call it 1.2mbps vs. 1.8).

UNC is lucky, I average more like 700kbps down.

OP
G

gsdreams

Reaction score
How about...

Unfortunately on the 4G Part everyone else is correct. Verizon's current LTE network does not meet the standards. Now, in three years when verizon rolls out LTE+ it will meet the standards.

To be 4G per the international telecomm group (don't remember the name just reading about this) no carriers current or near future meets the 4G requirement of supporting speeds in excess of 100mbps.

Now, the huge difference is Verizon is using true 4th Generation technology, which no other US provider is doing yet. Sprints current 4G isn't cellular technology and besides that it is widely reported sprint is going to move to lte.

Just to add I average 1.5 to 2mbps in a good coverage area.

As for AT&Ts HSPA+ someone on there own forums stated that they found it thag is basically wasn't rolled out yet. Not only was it not discounted by AT&T others backed him up. So whether HSPA+ is out on AT&T or not is still a question.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

UNC

Reaction score
How about...

Unfortunately on the 4G Part everyone else is correct. Verizon's current LTE network does not meet the standards. Now, in three years when verizon rolls out LTE+ it will meet the standards.

To be 4G per the international telecomm group (don't remember the name just reading about this) no carriers current or near future meets the 4G requirement of supporting speeds in excess of 100mbps.

Now, the huge difference is Verizon is using true 4th Generation technology, which no other US provider is doing yet. Sprints current 4G isn't cellular technology and besides that it is widely reported sprint is going to move to lte.

As for AT&Ts HSPA+ someone on there own forums stated that they found it thag is basically wasn't rolled out yet. Not only was it not discounted by AT&T others backed him up. So whether HSPA+ is out on AT&T or not is still a question.

Verizon LTE is 4g..... The International Body that decides these things has declared it as such....

"As the most advanced technologies currently defined for global wireless mobile broadband communications, IMT-Advanced is considered as '4G,'" the press release said, "although it is recognized that this term, while undefined, may also be applied to the forerunners of these technologies, LTE and WiMax, and to other evolved 3G technologies providing a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed."

LINK

OP
G

gsdreams

Reaction score
http://www.itu.int/ITU-R/index.asp?category=information&rlink=imt-advanced&lang=en

"enhanced peak data rates to support advanced services and applications (100 Mbit/s for high and 1 Gbit/s for low mobility were established as targets for research)*."

Now, if you can explain to me how LTE in its current status can meet those specs....

Also, you didn't read your own link:

"Only two systems made the list: LTE-Advanced, an emerging version of Long-Term Evolution technology, and WirelessMAN-Advanced, the next version of WiMax, also called WiMax 2. Neither is commercially available yet."

LTE Advanced isn't launched yet, no one has it. That is why I said in 3 years when verizon decides to upgrade there LTE network we will see "TRUE 4G", but until then nothing meets the standards of 4G.

Please read before you post. :)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
8-12mbps on LTE is plenty fast for me. A lot of websites actually don't seem to even transfer at those speeds.

8mbps is borderline for streaming hi-def Netflix. For a single user, that is pretty much as fast as you need, IMO. Sure, it won't stream hi-def Bluray, but I'm not sure any service streams that right now anyway.

The nice thing about faster networks is it translates to increased capacity. Maybe LTE-advanced will start rolling out plans to compete with home broadband.

UNC

Reaction score
http://www.itu.int/ITU-R/index.asp?category=information&rlink=imt-advanced&lang=en

"enhanced peak data rates to support advanced services and applications (100 Mbit/s for high and 1 Gbit/s for low mobility were established as targets for research)*."

Now, if you can explain to me how LTE in its current status can meet those specs....

Also, you didn't read your own link:

"Only two systems made the list: LTE-Advanced, an emerging version of Long-Term Evolution technology, and WirelessMAN-Advanced, the next version of WiMax, also called WiMax 2. Neither is commercially available yet."

LTE Advanced isn't launched yet, no one has it. That is why I said in 3 years when verizon decides to upgrade there LTE network we will see "TRUE 4G", but until then nothing meets the standards of 4G.

Please read before you post. :)

Verizon LTE is 4g..... The International Body that decides these things has declared it as such....

"As the most advanced technologies currently defined for global wireless mobile broadband communications, IMT-Advanced is considered as '4G,'" the press release said, "although it is recognized that this term, while undefined, may also be applied to the forerunners of these technologies, LTE and WiMax, and to other evolved 3G technologies providing a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed."

LINK

Re-read the part I have highlighted..... Clearly LTE, WiMax and HSPA+ have substantially improved on their levels of performance with respect to the INITIAL third generation systems now deployed..... Right? Then that makes them "4g" per the most recent decision from the ITU. ....

Last edited:
OP
G

gsdreams

Reaction score

LINK

Reread it. It says "the term". It does not say they meet the standards, only that they can use the 4G label.