Anyone else love this phone?

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
I know it's kinda disappointing that the Droid 4 is coming soon, but this phone does everything I need it too.
4GLTE would be nice, but the only times I really need the extra speed, I am around Wifi that makes up for it.

And there are lots of ROMs to choose from too.

doogald

Reaction score
I really like the phone as well. Of course there are things that I would improve (for example, get rid of the ridiculous Droid sound that plays at boot; a better camera sensor; a control to launch the camera from the lockscreen; the ability to remove unwanted, pre-installed apps), but these are all minor tweaks and the phone does everything I need it to do. And having had a Bionic for 10 days, with a series of random data drops that could only be fixed with an airplane mode toggle and a nationwide LTE outage that prevented 3G data as well, I'm not longing for an LTE phone anytime soon. I figure that by the time I am ready to upgrade they will have the LTE kinks worked out for sure.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I totally love the D3. Its the best 3G phone out there IMO.
That being said it will be my last slide phone. The new larger screened phones make it hard to justify the need for a keyboard. By time my upgrade rolls around LTE should be sorted out. This will be just as good a 2yr span as I had with my D1. So no regrets with choosing the D3.

"Stay classy Interwebz"

Shimmy549

Reaction score
I really like the phone as well. Of course there are things that I would improve (for example, get rid of the ridiculous Droid sound that plays at boot;

If you're rooted, you can.

The "Droid" sound file is in (I think) /system/media. The boot graphic and that sound file are in there, along with one other file. Moving the sound file out of that location shouldn't hurt anything.

I keep meaning to try it out just to make sure, but I'd be surprised if moving it caused any problems. I try not to be definitive until I have first-hand knowledge.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

doogald

Reaction score

Yes, I know that I can, if I was rooted. I am not, though.

I rooted my last phone - because it was not stable enough to run unrooted - and decided that I would apply to same standard to this phone. At this point, I see nothing on the D3 that requires me to root it. It's fast, responsive, does what I need it to do when I want it done. Nothing is broken. The boot sound I hear maybe once a week or two weeks. It's not nearly enough of an issue to make me root the phone.

At this point I think that at some point I'll end up rooting the phone, but I want to see where Moto and Verizon take this with stock OTA updates. Probably when I am out of warranty (so, when the phone is a year old) I'll see about rooting. Or, of course, if like my last phone an OTA updates leads to a build that has major problems with stock software.

shinobi13

Reaction score
:happy3: with my D3. My D1 still gets used on the reg. It now plays as a mini tablet. I agree with those above, once my next upgrade comes up 4G LTE will be GTG. No real need for 4G for me at the moment.

Sal R.

Reaction score
I love my D3, despite not being an LTE device.

Had my D1 came out like this, I probably wouldn't have jumped around to the DInc, DX, D2G, etc.

Everything that I wanted in a phone.

TyrantII

Reaction score
Love my D3. It's been a great replacement for my OG and does everything I ask of it, better than my last phone. Not a fan of the RzR and D4 integrated battery design. Hope they're dudes and that keeps them out of future moto designs.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hey, cool thread. Finally some D3 love. I have a happy story:

I live in a hilly area -- tower's not far away, but with the D1 we could barely get 1 bar, call's were a no-go. 3G data? Nonexistent. So since we have decent broadband, I decided to plunk down $100 and get a network extender. And for two years, everything worked. Data on the phone worked through wifi, and calls through the handy-dandy network extender.

Fast forward to October 2011. Upgrade to the D3. Take it home, love it and take good care of it. Then last night, on some kind of a random whim, I decided to TURN OFF WIFI (now remember, data doesn't work over the network extender, only voice) and I GET 2Mbps down on my D3!!! I was so happy I almost peed in my pants.

I still don't understand what's up. Maybe there's a new tower, maybe the old one is broadcasting better -- maybe the D3 just has a better antenna and radio than the D1. The dumb thing is I don't need 3G data in my house, but it's so cool that I have a decent data connection anyway.

It's not a big deal, but it's made me that much more satisfied to be a D3 owner.

-Matt

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I really like the phone as well. Of course there are things that I would improve (for example, get rid of the ridiculous Droid sound that plays at boot;

The "Droid" sound file is in (I think) /system/media. The boot graphic and that sound file are in there, along with one other file. Moving the sound file out of that location shouldn't hurt anything.

I keep meaning to try it out just to make sure, but I'd be surprised if moving it caused any problems. I try not to be definitive until I have first-hand knowledge.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
Well, FWIW I dropped down into /system/media and renamed droid.ogg to droid.ogg.bak, and no "DRRROOIDDD!" on the reboot. :)

Ooops, sorry, check that. Just as it finished booting it happened. :(

But then I noticed I have another copy in /system/media/audio/notifications. Not really willing to rename that one, as I'm sure it's the one I use for gmail and other legitimate notifications.

Sorry guys...not sure if deleting it would matter, but I suspect that's not the "droid" we want.

EDIT: FOUND IT!!! In /system/media/bootanimation.zip, open up desc.txt (basically this is the "script" that arranges the startup animation) and the person who wrote the script COMMENTED IT VERY WELL. Basically, head down to:

Code:
# droid
p 1 7 01_droid
s Droid.ogg

and the comments explain that the "s defines a sound for a part; sounds will be loaded from /system/media; oggs with loop points will loop automatically; only one sound will play at a time; timing is driven by the part, not the sounds; IF YOU WANT NO SOUND, LEAVE BLANK"

Oh, what a pain -- looks like in order to edit desc.txt you need to extract it first, then reinsert it in the zip. Ah, not worth the trouble for me, but commenting out the "s Droid.ogg" line in file should do the trick!

-Matt

patfactorx

Reaction score
I love this hardware! The stock software is mediocore but my Maverick Rom has been a champ. Very happy.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

REMilk

Reaction score
I really like the phone as well. Of course there are things that I would improve (for example, get rid of the ridiculous Droid sound that plays at boot; .

When the 'Droid' sound was removed from the OG Droid, many folks, including myself complained. I am glad it returned. You can change it; search the forums for instructions.

Bob

doogald

Reaction score
When the 'Droid' sound was removed from the OG Droid, many folks, including myself complained. I am glad it returned. You can change it; search the forums for instructions.

Instructions without rooting the phone? This is a minor annoyance that is not worth rooting. Frankly, I think that all boot animations should be silent, if they cannot be turned off. If you really like the Droid sound, you can always add it as a notification ringtone. Since the phone does occasionally spontaneously restart - it has happened to me once - the boot animation sound can be heard at unplanned times. But, like I said - minor annoyance. If this is the worst thing about this phone, that says a lot.

Droid3Guy

Reaction score
If I have to reboot my phone for any reason, I just set my ringtone to vibrate and you don't get the droid sound when rebooting, just vibration. Of course, this doesn't help if your phone reboots on its own, but I've only actually had that happen to me once in the 3 months I've owned this phone.