Anyone else keep accidentally searching for stuff?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was hitting it all the time until I got the Verizon combo case/holster. Any case with a raised lip the entire way around will prevent you from accidentally hitting the search button. That would include cases like the Verizon combo case/holster, the Verizon silicone case, the Body Glove case and the Seidio case.

Bingo. I've encountered the problem less frequently since I installed my Seidio case. As for "holding the phone differently," the problem largely disappears (I've found) if I grasp the phone slightly higher on the body or holding the Droid in my left hand. (Being a southpaw that's difficult for me since I use my left hand for the swype keyboard, but I suspect others may find it solves the problem.)

astokes

Reaction score
Same here, since I got my new Seidio case I accidentally hit the buttons a lot less, But I still wish there was a way to be able to configure or disable those buttons, maybe use them to launch commonly used apps or something.

thrashtrash

Reaction score
Same here, since I got my new Seidio case I accidentally hit the buttons a lot less, But I still wish there was a way to be able to configure or disable those buttons, maybe use them to launch commonly used apps or something.

thats all well and good and i have tried a few cases but i cant find one i like enough to use it regularly, i would love to find a way to resolve the issue without spending any extra money on a case i hate just to not press that stupid button

cookiemomster

Reaction score
I have had to learn to pick up my phone differently to avoid this. I grab the phone in the space between the sliders on the bottom.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Okay, so it's not just me. Guess I'll have to work on holding the phone differently so I don't keep hitting the search button accidentally which happens at least several times a day. But I think Slugger393 is right, there must be a way to disable that button or make it where it is isn't so sensitive. This is a very advanced phone and someone must have a way around this. Please let me know if anyone finds a hack for this.

rjsurfer

Reaction score
Could something be placed over the search button area to desensitize it a bit?

Ron W.

jjbard

Reaction score
BUMP!

Man, I would love to disable this thing as well... Learning to hold the phone differently is unacceptable IMO. I hold the phone the way I do because it's what is most comfortable for me, not to mention that EVERY time I hand the phone to someone to say, look at a picture, etc... they hit the damn key as well and end up just handing the thing back "Oh no, I don't know what I just did". :mad:

I have to say this is my only gripe with my Droid,... Well, apart from the battery cover.

Silver Member
Reaction score
ok, i just tried to hold the phone in a manner where any part of my hand touches the search icon and i don't get it. my hand is far enough away from the button that i don't even come close.

i rest the phone on my pinky and support the back with my fingers and can use my thumb freely all over the phone.

i think the problem here is capacitive vs. physical. if the buttons were physical buttons, this wouldn't be an issue for most.

Rettocs

Reaction score
The way I hold my phone is different than anyone I've ever seen, and as such, it allows me to not ever accidentally hit the screen or any buttons, and it gives my thumb better dexterity to hit what I want to tap.

jjbard

Reaction score
Ok, sure...I could hold the phone differently if I stopped and thought about it but I'm not one to compromise. I don't want to have to think about it like I'm handling a sensitive little baby (insert your favorite forest creature here). Besides, it still doesn't help in the case where you're showing it to someone, which is highly frustrating.
I certainly don't have the know-how to get it done, but with all the useless apps out there, I just think it's silly that this hasn't been hacked yet.

Mamaperk

Reaction score
add me to the list ... i have used the search button on purpose only a few times but hit it thousands of times by mistake ... would love an app to redirect it or even disable it but have no experience in that arena.

rjsurfer

Reaction score
Add me to the group also.

Next time I get a chance I'm going to purchase some screen shield and cut out a small piece or two and place it over the search button area. Maybe a single layer will work, if not I'll double it up.

Ron W.

Silver Member
Reaction score
could one of you post a pic of how you're holding the phone? i just don't get it. i literally have to rest my entire thumb on the device to touch those buttons.