Anyone else keep accidentally searching for stuff?

slugger393

Reaction score
The bottom of my palm keeps brushing against the magnifying glass on the side of the phone if I'm operating the phone with one hand. Anyone found a workaround to disable this button?

I've never actually wanted to use this button since I have the search widget on one of my home screens, but I keep hitting the darn thing on accident!

catsailr

Reaction score
Thats a problem I have with my Droid - accidentally touching the wrong buttons when I pick it up. I guess it takes some getting used to.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did the same thing when I first got my Droid. Now I'm aware and it doesn't happen very often anymore.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It happens to me all the time too. I've just accepted it I guess.

gloster

Reaction score
Add me to the list -- I've had my Droid since near its release and I still accidentally search

Reaction score
It is now the last biggest gripe with the phone. I have overcome everything else I needed to do business wise etc... but this happens 100x a day :(

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
The bottom of my palm keeps brushing against the magnifying glass on the side of the phone if I'm operating the phone with one hand. Anyone found a workaround to disable this button?

I've never actually wanted to use this button since I have the search widget on one of my home screens, but I keep hitting the darn thing on accident!

I did it all the time the first few days that I had the phone. Now I've learned to avoid it, but I don't try to operate it often with one hand. I'm too afraid of dropping it. :icon_eek:

Using the landscape virtual keyboard makes it easier to avoid accidental searches, and so does using the physical keyboard.

Jaylor

Reaction score
I have this problem to but I'm learning to not do it.. just teach yourself to hold the phone differently.

OP
S

slugger393

Reaction score
I have this problem to but I'm learning to not do it.. just teach yourself to hold the phone differently.

I can listen to Pandora while my phone listens to my voice and recognizes that I'm requesting directions to Mankato, MN, but the solution to always knocking the magnifying glass with my palm and searching for things is to hold the phone differently?

I think the phone's a little more capable than that!

Does anyone know of a way to disable or modify the physical buttons and their properties on the Droid? The 'magnifying glass' button that makes you search every time you hit it is the only thing I want to change on the phone (or at least make it like a 5 second press or something).

OP
S

slugger393

Reaction score
Thanks for any suggestions anyone can provide, in advance.

I'm tired of flying through the 100 tasks the phone can accomplish and having to go search for ....nothing (because I have no intention of doing a search!).

kmkeck

Reaction score
I suppose you could call this accidentally searching...

I frequently clear the cache on my programs, but the other day, I was poking around the browser and I noticed my phone had searched for "how to get pregnant". WTF! Kinda scary since the only other person who used my phone is my girlfriend.

All I can say is that I hope the Droid is becoming self aware and trying to reproduce!

MrTommy

Reaction score
Yikes!

I suppose you could call this accidentally searching...

I frequently clear the cache on my programs, but the other day, I was poking around the browser and I noticed my phone had searched for "how to get pregnant". WTF! Kinda scary since the only other person who used my phone is my girlfriend.

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The 'search' key is a waste IMO. No need for a soft/hard key for search. I understand it's a Google phone (Google is synonymous with 'searching' now) but a 'Phone' button would have been much better suited than the magnifying glass.

thrashtrash

Reaction score
Can someone make an app to disable the search button?

I have big hands and i never use the search button on the front of the phone. any time i am scrolling down a screen or just selecting something on the home screen the ball of my hand ALWAYS hits the damn touch button and opens the search screen interrupting whatever i'm doing! or if anyone knows the adb commands to disable it that would help too.\ Infact i might even prefer the ADB commands if it is possible. i should really get on this whole learning java thing

Last edited: