Anyone else having a hard time explaining WHY the Gnex is so great?

vanvalks

Reaction score
I picked up my Gnex bright and early on launch day and have absolutely no regrets about the phone. I came from a DX on CM7. IMO it is hands down the best phone on the market right now. Needless to say I've been excited about the phone pre- and post-launch so I've been telling a lot of my less tech-savy friends about the phone and why it is so great.

Anytime someone asks me what is so great about the phone I usually start with the basics: 1.2 Ghz dual-core processor, 4G LTE, 1GB RAM, HD screen, etc...as I'm saying this I realize these specs really aren't any different or that much better than say the RAZR, Bionic, Rezound, Droid 3, RAZR (in white), or even the upcoming Droid 4.

So then I usually start into the more techy points (which really are the points that make the phone so great) like Ice Cream Sandwich (huh?), the unlocked bootloader (what is that?), lack of a manufacturer skin like Blur (nope not understanding that either), more timely updates from google (hopefully), and just that overall it is "a developer" device so you can do so much more with the device. Usually somewhere in this train of features I realize my friend is staring at me with glossy eyes and has no idea what I am talking about...so at that point I usually of fade into silence and follow it with some sort of "just trust me its freaking awesome" comment to end the conversation.

Anyone else experiencing this same thing? Thank goodness I have the forums to get my geeky fix :)

droid_mike

Reaction score
There's a simpler way to do it. Tell the other person to take out their phone, especially if it's an iPhone. Put your phone next to theirs and say this:

"Ohhh... look at the little baby iPhone. It's screen is sooooo small!! How cute!! Such a cute little baby phone!"

And that's all you need to do! :icon_ lala:

scdown

Reaction score
I took my boss's Windows 6.5 phone, laid it atop my phone, and said, "Look, your little toy phone fits on my screen!"

shaggykid

Reaction score
Or just show them the awesome custimaztion features that their baby iphone lacks

Sent from your mom's house using my Galaxy Nexus... is what my signature would say if I could save the money to buy a Galaxy Nexus.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think one of the "wow" features is to show how you can flip thru the youtube highlight snips on the widget. Scrollable gmail or email widgets (or calendar) is another big sell point for widgets, IMO.

The weather forecast widget is pretty cool, too. Auto-updates the 4-day outlook every hour and changes based on my location.

I simply can't imagine having a smartphone without these - to me a necessity for the convenience and functionality that would seem to be the justification for a smartphone in the first place.

As for vs. other Android phones, you need to realize most people wouldn't take the time to root/flash and do all the other customizations even if they cared. What's so much better about the GNex vs. other top-end Android phones for most people? Really nothing (aside form getting updates faster).

Last edited:

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
I picked up my Gnex bright and early on launch day and have absolutely no regrets about the phone. I came from a DX on CM7. IMO it is hands down the best phone on the market right now. Needless to say I've been excited about the phone pre- and post-launch so I've been telling a lot of my less tech-savy friends about the phone and why it is so great.

Anytime someone asks me what is so great about the phone I usually start with the basics: 1.2 Ghz dual-core processor, 4G LTE, 1GB RAM, HD screen, etc...as I'm saying this I realize these specs really aren't any different or that much better than say the RAZR, Bionic, Rezound, Droid 3, RAZR (in white), or even the upcoming Droid 4.

So then I usually start into the more techy points (which really are the points that make the phone so great) like Ice Cream Sandwich (huh?), the unlocked bootloader (what is that?), lack of a manufacturer skin like Blur (nope not understanding that either), more timely updates from google (hopefully), and just that overall it is "a developer" device so you can do so much more with the device. Usually somewhere in this train of features I realize my friend is staring at me with glossy eyes and has no idea what I am talking about...so at that point I usually of fade into silence and follow it with some sort of "just trust me its freaking awesome" comment to end the conversation.

Anyone else experiencing this same thing? Thank goodness I have the forums to get my geeky fix :)

Haha, pretty much every conversation I had about this phone with my non-tech savvy friends.

thejacked1

Reaction score
Nothing I can't do on the bionic :)

I think one of the "wow" features is to show how you can flip thru the youtube highlight snips on the widget. Scrollable gmail or email widgets (or calendar) is another big sell point for widgets, IMO.

The weather forecast widget is pretty cool, too. Auto-updates the 4-day outlook every hour and changes based on my location.

I simply can't imagine having a smartphone without these - to me a necessity for the convenience and functionality that would seem to be the justification for a smartphone in the first place.

As for vs. other Android phones, you need to realize most people wouldn't take the time to root/flash and do all the other customizations even if they cared. What's so much better about the GNex vs. other top-end Android phones for most people? Really nothing (aside form getting updates faster).

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah but you have to look through the screen door on the Bionic, which is rough.

;)

ex0rcist

Reaction score
Yeah but you have to look through the screen door on the Bionic, which is rough.

;)

Psh. I dont see it.. ...is what you'll be saying standing outside. ;)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

jcardona1

Reaction score
I like putting it this way. Tell them it's a phone for Android enthusiasts. Kinda like why some people would buy an BMW M3 vs a regular 3-series. They make look the same on the outside, but it's what's going on inside that counts :)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Not everyone is as sensitive or really even notices the "screen door". So for many that would mean the best value is, in fact, the Bionic.

ex0rcist

Reaction score
I like putting it this way. Tell them it's a phone for Android enthusiasts. Kinda like why some people would buy an BMW M3 vs a regular 3-series. They make look the same on the outside, but it's what's going on inside that counts :)

Except an m3 has a different motor..brakes.. exhaust. Rims. Gearbox than say a base 328i. ...the gnex has what different than rzr or bionic? 4430 and 4460 same exact chipset..same powervr chipset. No sd card..same ram..... :p

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk