Anyone else getting Random Reboots

Dreamin

Reaction score
I'm up to 3 reboots today. Tried reseating the battery, no help. Guess I'll go back to the VZ store and get it swapped.

pspringer

Reaction score
Thunderbolt Random Reboots

I'm having the same problem with the random reboots. It didn't start happening until the issue around data connectivity with Verizon occurred today. My phone would just be sitting doing nothing and then, bam, the HTC screen / fastboot. No rhyme or reason but I think it tanks when it can't get a stable data connection after trying, or bouncing between them, for some time. More than likely an issue with how the software handles the hand off of the connections; possibly a memory leak of some type but that's just my opinion. I'm trying a factory reset now but will probably just try to get a replacement.

mom133d

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with the random reboots. It didn't start happening until the issue around data connectivity with Verizon occurred today. My phone would just be sitting doing nothing and then, bam, the HTC screen / fastboot. No rhyme or reason but I think it tanks when it can't get a stable data connection after trying, or bouncing between them, for some time. More than likely an issue with how the software handles the hand off of the connections; possibly a memory leak of some type but that's just my opinion. I'm trying a factory reset now but will probably just try to get a replacement.
Just got my first random reboot (that I'm aware of) a few minutes ago. Your theory makes a bit of sense for me, here in my office at work, voice is always fine, but data is sometimes sketchy. This is true for my old Droid, Kindle and Nook. I just got my TB on Friday after much trial and tribulations at the Verizon store.

BIslander

Reaction score
My phone has rebooted spontaneously once or twice a day since I got it on March 15. A factory reset made it worse. So, with the 14 day clock counting down, I swapped out the phone today. So far, so good. But, it's only been a few hours.

Dreamin

Reaction score
My phone has rebooted spontaneously once or twice a day since I got it on March 15. A factory reset made it worse. So, with the 14 day clock counting down, I swapped out the phone today. So far, so good. But, it's only been a few hours.
How were you able to 'swap out the phone' ?

When I went to the VZ store... with the exact same problem... they said they had to reproduce the problem in the store, otherwise they cannot exchange it. I said I cannot stand here for 3-4 hours waiting for the phone to reboot. No matter what I suggested... can I cancel my account and get a 'new' thunderbolt? NO. Can I swap to a iphone 4? NO.

I ended up returning the phone and going back to AT&T. Sad part is I was really happy with the phone... except the reboots.

BIslander

Reaction score

When I went to the VZ store... with the exact same problem... they said they had to reproduce the problem in the store, otherwise they cannot exchange it. I said I cannot stand here for 3-4 hours waiting for the phone to reboot. No matter what I suggested... can I cancel my account and get a 'new' thunderbolt? NO. Can I swap to a iphone 4? NO.

I ended up returning the phone and going back to AT&T. Sad part is I was really happy with the phone... except the reboots.

How unfortunate. I bought my phone by calling Verizon and having them send it to me overnight. I didn't get it at a store.

When the phone kept rebooting, I called Technical Support and they had me go through a factory reset. Support said if that didn't work, I could take the phone to any company store (not a franchise) to be swapped out. The reset didn't work and I took it into the store this morning. They did the exchange with no questions asked.

Last edited:

blitzburgh39

Reaction score

Little extreme? You should have raised all kindz of hell. They have never turned me down when ive had a problem.

tiwags

Reaction score
my phone is stock and since I've had my phone it's had 4 reboots.. in 3g and 4g. I called the tech support and they told me to go back into the store and exchange it for a new phone- they noted my account. I think it is a hardware issue.. just happy i can get a new one and not a reconditioned.

Dreamin

Reaction score
Little extreme? You should have raised all kindz of hell. They have never turned me down when ive had a problem.

I did raise hell... I was in the store for over an hour... talked to a sales guys, a tech person, and then the store manager. But once she dug in her heels... there was no convincing her of how unreasonable she was being - or the bizzare, catch-22 situation she was putting me in. She was completely unwilling to help... no matter what option I brought up. At the end I was so upset I was yelling at her (not like a crazy person, but she and the customers around me got the point)... "So you're telling me my only option to get this defective phone fixed is to disconnect and go back to AT&T..." She again said, she cannot take a device back without seeing the problem.

I was so upset and disappointed at the horrible customer serivce and how easily they were willing to lose a customer *during the 14-day period*... I was done.

Plus my 14-days were running out... I didn't have time to call VZ tech support, convince them, have them send me another phone, etc.

Finally, when I called AT&T - just to explore going back to them - they said the had a "win-back" offer for me: they would refund my ETF, waive activation fee, reinstate my roll-over minutes, and put me back on my old (grandfathered) unlimited data plan.

Kinda hard to say no... given the contrast in customer service...

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
Im surprised they would lose a customer for not replacing the phone. I guess they are back to their arrogant habbits. Back in the days they would say tuff luck, if you cancel u get hit with a ETF fee.

mom133d

Reaction score
Wow. Many moons ago I was with a local wireless company. The phone I had some oddity, I can't remember what exactly now. I lucked out when I went to the store because the lady at the tech desk was in charge of the company's tech support. She was happy to see my phone because others had reported problems and returned their phones but she had been unable to get a defective phone to test. She even let me upgrade to a nicer phone and get a replacment case. The store manager was pissed but hey, its headquarters telling you to do this. :)

As an update to my TBolt problems, I performed the workaround that puts the phone on the towers the other phones use. I haven't had any issues including random reboots since.

PaintDrinkingPete

Reaction score

This is ridiculous. For what it's worth, I've found that just calling the CS number is usually a lot less of a headache than dealing with taking it in to the store (I probably haven't set foot in a VZW store in over 5 years). It kills me that some of these people act like you're trying to trick them out of their money or something...

If that had been me, I would have probably said, "fine...let's wait", and then insisted that the rep wait with me so that they could see the reboot and confirm that it happened. I bet if it was close to 5PM (or closing time) they wouldn't have been so rigid about it...

Quiltaday

Reaction score
I have noticed the issue maybe a total of three times ... I say noticed because when it reboots itself I never hear the crackle start-up of thunder; I simply happen to see the "HTC " screen and then start-up. The phone has been AWESOME:heart: since I exchanged it a couple of days ago - can anyone tell me if the reboots will cause any damage? I am out of the 14-day exchange.

Stock (I swear the 'Rev B' is important), no task killer running, no major apps running, 15+ hour battery life with typical use.

kcautodoc

Reaction score
Same Issues

Bought the Thunderbolt and had to return the first one because of random reboots that I wouldn't have noticed had I not had the phone sitting on the desk in front of me during the day. Who knows how often it restarts in my pocket.

The first one was returned within the 14 days period and the second one started acting up within a few days. I assume it happens more often than I see. The last time I was in the middle of a conversation with an AT&T iPhone user who was saying, "I just don't know what your beef is against the iPhone, it just works..." and then the line dropped. I thought it was because we were both driving and one of us lost signal. I didn't even look at my phone to check. But then the HTC bright as hell white screen came up and lit the whole car up and I figured out it was this freaking reboot deal.

I'm certainly frustrated with it now. Great phone otherwise but seriously...

(Well, I don't like that the speaker is BEHIND the stand either)

1android

Reaction score
Are any of you using Launcher pro or a replacement home app? I was told from both developers that some phones have issues with the rotation ability on the homescreen. It messes with the core of the phone and sends it into a power cycle. I got rid of Launcher pro tried ADW and immediately had the same problem. got rid of both and ran a stock motoblur home. Then ADW got an update that included a choice of locking your screen into verticle or horizontal views. Did that, still running ADW with no power cycles since. This may not be the issue that some of you are experiencing but it sounds exactly what I went through.