Anybody willing to test DailyRoads Voyager?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by DailyRoads, Jan 23, 2010.

1. DailyRoads

DailyRoads New Member

Hello all,

A user reported that our app has some issues with video recording and playback, but haven't received any more specific details. Is there any kind soul (or enthusiast car driver) who has some time for a test?

The issues known so far are listed here:
    http://dailyroads.com/voyager/issues

Here is the application with debug info turned on:
    http://dailyroads.com/voyager/debug/dailyroads.apk

Would like to fix these issues for the next version, as Droid users are drilling holes in their car mounts to allow recording videos while on the road.

Thanks and regards,
    Robert
  2. BeaverPuncher

BeaverPuncher New Member

I will

My family owns a livery service and I'm on the road most of the day plus I ride my motorcycle about 15,000+ miles a year.
  3. Kdubbjr

Kdubbjr New Member

I'm willing to test it too.
  4. DailyRoads

DailyRoads New Member

Thank you both for your offer! Here is the sequence I'd like to be tested:

1. Go to Menu -> Settings -> Video

2. The "Video encoder" option should be set to H.264, when the application is first started. Is it H.264?

3. Change the "Video resolution" option to 176x144 (QCIF)

4. Go back tot the main screen, press the Video button. The button text should turn into "Recording Videos".

5. Leave the main screen, e.g. by pressing the Files button. The idea is to put video recording in the background. You should see a red REC text in the top notification bar, while recording in the background. Also, you should hear 2 sounds, as recording stopped, then restarted right before entering into the background. Do you see REC and hear the 2 sounds?

6. Leave to record for about 10-15 seconds, and watch if REC stays there.

7. Go back to the main screen by pressing the phone's Back button.You should hear 2 sounds as the background video recording stopped, then restarted in the foreground.

8. Repeat steps 1-7, changing the video resolution in step 3 to the next (e.g. from QCIF to QVGA, then CIF, HVGA, VGA and D1).

These steps are meant to determine if the Droid supports video recording in the background with increasing resolutions.Then please test if the videos you recorded in the background can be played back within the application. To do so, press the Files button (in the main screen), navigate to the videos and click on them individually.

Alternatively, you can click just on the older one, and let the videos run automatically in sequence. Keep in mind though, that you will also have videos recorded in the foreground, mixed in with the ones recorded in the background.

So far, we only tested with the H.264 encoder. I'd also like to know what the above steps generate when using the MPEG4 video encoder (H.263 doesn't work on the Droid). But, maybe all these steps are too much for one person to test. If it is, then we can split the testing among you two.

BeaverPuncher, can you test with H.264? And Kdubbjr with MPEG4? Of course you can test with both encoders, but I don't want to abuse your time.

Thanks again,
    Robert
  5. BeaverPuncher

BeaverPuncher New Member

I went through each resolution and let record in the background and each one went to the background recording easily. I also noticed that you have the length in seconds for file length which is kinda a pain to adjust for timing.

I am hoping once I find a correct mount for the bike keeping the phone in a up and down position I will be able to use this on the track, instead of spending 250 on a gopro hero hd.
  6. DailyRoads

DailyRoads New Member

Thanks for the report :) Have you tried with the H.264 encoder? Are the files playing well within the application? Could you send me the videos you recorded in the background? Email is voyager@dailyroads.com

As for the video length, I decided to use seconds (60 seconds default), because of how the app is designed to record and recycle storage space. Most of the time, you record common road events, which are not worth keeping. Only when something interesting happens, you hit the Video button to stop recording and rescue the last 1-3 video files. Then, to view that interesting event, you only need to watch the preceding few seconds (up to a minute), instead of enduring minutes of dull video sequences. This is especially true, if you decide to upload such videos to various sites - you can upload without shortening the video files manually.

This functionality makes Voyager different from various cameras (e.g. the Gopro Hero), and most camera applications. If you keep them recording continuously, the storage space quickly fills up with boring details... unless of course you decided beforehand to record some interesting events you expect to happen.

Robert
  7. BeaverPuncher

BeaverPuncher New Member

i'll get them out to you, I'm going to try some new ones before I send them but have been busy with work.
  8. runningbea6

runningbea6 New Member

I have a Dorid Bionic using android 2.3.4 and also use daily road voyager on my phone. I use it each time I leave out of the driveway no matter where I go and in the last 2 months I have not had any problem with the video record or playback. I have v2.0 of daily roads voyager.
Search tags for this page
anybody willing to test dailyroads voyager
best daily road voyager for motorola razr
bionic voyager

daily road voyager

daily road voyager how does it work
dailyroad
dailyroads forum
dailyroads how to upload video
dailyroads playback
dailyroads s4 problem
dailyroads voyager android app what does it mean to upload