Anybody See This??

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Pretty much on target, I'd say. The key fact about the phone market in the US (compared to Europe) is that the linkage between particular phones and individual carriers combined with the subsidization of phone purchases by the carriers undermines the capacity of consumers to make informed decisions.

Google tried to fight that model and lost. It's doubtful that anyone else will try in the short run.

So for those who enjoy having Verizon (or any other carrier) lend you the money to buy your phone, recognize that there's a price in terms of choice you're paying.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Pretty much on target, I'd say. The key fact about the phone market in the US (compared to Europe) is that the linkage between particular phones and individual carriers combined with the subsidization of phone purchases by the carriers undermines the capacity of consumers to make informed decisions.

Google tried to fight that model and lost. It's doubtful that anyone else will try in the short run.

So for those who enjoy having Verizon (or any other carrier) lend you the money to buy your phone, recognize that there's a price in terms of choice you're paying.
+1

There's nothing in there that's surprising to me. Money rules the world, and despite people who still claim that the CEOs and boards of directors are in it for the stockholder, they're in it to maximize numbers on a sheet of paper and fill their own pockets. The way they do that is power, and the power they get from a phone OS as awesome as Android is great indeed.

The only hope we have is that the carriers will be so hungry for Android phones that when Gingerbread or Honeycomb hit Google will be able to rein them in. I see that as a dismal chance at best, but a small ray of hope is still hope. Google is in it for their own reasons, and those reasons are based solely around Google making money. They can't make money if they slam the door on the carriers, but it's they who ultimately choose what phones get on their networks.

Reaction score
Ive been watching as verizon pushes more and more and more onto the phones as far as bloatware. Like the droid started with almost nothing, was rooted for so long its hard to remember, but all i can think of amazon mp3. And its to the point now my D2 has blockbuster, city id, amazon mp3, kindle, quick office, skype mobile, etc