Anybody ran the Droid Moto battery to dead?

windstrings

Reaction score
I got a warning at 15% and then the red light flashes and now I"m at 5%....

Will it just go blank if I continue, gracefully shut down or what?

If so, at what percentage does it gracefully bow out and close down?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I've done it several times...Not on purpose but just to lazy to plug it in..

5% is lowest that I have seen....Then the Darkness came...:icon_eek:

Diordna

Reaction score
Well it actually says to charge it cause your battery is at 15% or LESS so it could of been that low anyways.
But I ran the battery until it died, it was around the 5% mark and then I charged it to 100%. Just shuts off like any phone, then when you put the charger on it's reboot.

It helps the battery to run it all the way down then charge it to 100%, so I've read on this forum a couple times

zeiroe

Reaction score
@ 5% I wasn't able to make phone calls but I was still able to txt and receive data.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
It helps the battery to run it all the way down then charge it to 100%, so I've read on this forum a couple times

Common misconception, L-ion batteries do not need to be completely discharged. They do not need conditioned...

vuskee

Reaction score
the phone tells you to charge your battery at 15%. i like to run it down till it turns off and do a complete charge. helps the battery last longer in the long run.

EDIT*

Common misconception, L-ion batteries do not need to be completely discharged. They do not need conditioned...

really? so if i charge it halfway it wont ruin the battery?

Last edited:

ViciousCircle

Android Addict
Premium Member
Reaction score
So far, I just plug mine in every night when I go to bed... if I waited till it ran down, I'd have to wake up at 3 or 4am sometimes just to plug it in. Haven't noticed any bad effects so far, and I'm with backnblack... from what I understand, L-ion's don't need conditioning.

Diordna

Reaction score
I heard on this forum that it's best to once a month run it down then do a full recharge to condition it. Like the instructions say when you first get the phone and also heard on this forum, to charge for 24 hours before using it. Of course you don't need to but just saying to help increase capacity.

TheOldFart

Reaction score

Quote from the Motorola Tips and Tricks document for the Droid:

"Train your battery

Train the battery by fully charging it and draining the battery until it shuts off.

1 With the device turned off, fully charge the battery until the LED no longer flashes and remains on.

2 Let the battery charge for an additional TWO hours.

3 Repeat the process again (perform twice in a row) and you should experience improved battery life."

You decide who you want to listen to.

mikes

Reaction score
Yes, they do, but not for the reason you drain Ni-Cds. Only by draining it fully does the smart "fuel gauge" built into the battery learn its actual capacity. You should drain it once when you first get a new battery, and again about every 30 days.

Ni-Cds and NiMH are usually batteries (1=cell, multiple cells=battery; one cell provides ~1.3 V, so multiple cells are used in a battery to provide sufficient voltage for the device), and discharging them provides a leveling function, so the cells stay in balance and are able to provide full power. Li "batteries" (at least in cell phones) aren't actually batteries, they're single cells, since they provide ~3.7 V, enough to run a phone.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I see what your saying, just going by personal experience and from the following link..

How to prolong lithium-based batteries

I can see doing it every 300-500 discharges, but not like most people are doing.

OP
windstrings

windstrings

Reaction score

Quote from the Motorola Tips and Tricks document for the Droid:

"Train your battery

Train the battery by fully charging it and draining the battery until it shuts off.

1 With the device turned off, fully charge the battery until the LED no longer flashes and remains on.

2 Let the battery charge for an additional TWO hours.

3 Repeat the process again (perform twice in a row) and you should experience improved battery life."

You decide who you want to listen to.

I wonder how long that bullitin has been out... it may not be updated.

Its common knowledge that Lithium and Lithium Poly has no memory... hence the reason they say to leave it on the charger as much as you like.

When they use the term "condition" they may not be using it as the same term it used to mean.
Once upon a time.. that mean't to drain it down to help remove memory effects with the old NiCad technology and first generation NiMh, whereas now they may be saying that to help equalize the cells... especially the part about charging it a good long time.

I can also see how stronger cells could get charged and provide enough resistance that the charger backs off amperage leaving the weaker cells to take much longer to reach a full charge, hence a full drain would let them all start off at the same place and come up together.

Over time "a month or so" the differences in those stronger cells verses the weak could again become apparent whereas another full drain and recharge may again help them all come up equalized together again.

I plan on leaving mine on the charger when I'm sleeping or in my car and once a month or so.. make a point to drain to 5 - 10%.

I have about 20 items that use Lithium technology.... none of which have memory issues.

jasonb

Reaction score
i think i have killed it completely twice.

mine also sits on the charging dock all night and sometimes during the day when i'm home. from what i hear l-ions are pretty fool proof.