anybody experiencing what they feel is less battery on 2.1??(yes another thread)

Darkseider

Reaction score
I have a hard time believing it is 2.1 simply because I have been rooted since day one running ESE53 and have never experienced horrible battery life like that. I also upgraded my radio to the latest and have noticed a slight improvement. With that being said I can't rule it out in your case just yet.

EDIT: Something just came to mind. After you unplug and the phone is running try this.

1. Put the phone in airplane mode for 1 minute
2. Take the phone out of airplane mode
3. Monitor battery

The reason I suggest this is that somewhere on these forums I was reading where this happened with some ROMs or kernel or something of the sort. Wondering if the same thing is happening in your case.

nateccnn

Reaction score
let me get to my situation first before I complain before I babble on again. Just to get this out of the way, my battery life on my droid was nevers spectacular. I've always kept my wifi gps and brightness on the lowest unless needed. I've tried on an off using task killers. its probably been asked 10000 times. I manually upgraded to 2.1 and its hard to say but(read title) so..recently without having any atk type app or juice defender app Id simply..try to use my phone moderately, then after getting maybe almost a day, then using till the power goes out completely. then ill wait a few minutes, than charge it till its 100 percent and leave it for a few minutes. then ill unplug and turn it off till the next day. if I use it then for the next 20 minutes to browse it might go down to 80 percent. sometimes ill use maybe for even just 5 minutes and it it will go down to 80. How HOW THE HELL DO PEOPLE GO FOR A HALF AN HOUR WHEN ITS ON AND STILL SAY THEY HAVE 90 PERCENT BATTERY?? AND HOW CAN YOU POSSIBKY GO FOR TWO DAYS WITH MEDIUM USAGE??? I'm lucky if I can even get 8 hours under heavy usage. I don't get how like almost everybody in the review market says that the take managers/killers save a lot of battery because I'd love to know the secret....how much battery do you guys get. And I'm sorry but I lied about the babbling.

When I got 2.1 at first my battery drained quite fast. Later I noticed it got better. What happened?

I was so excited about the browsing experience and pinch to zoom I was using those features more and draining the battery faster. After I got bored with the new features I started using it just likie I was before. That is when I realized it actually has better battery life than before. And when it sits idle it barely uses battery. Before if it sat idle all day I would be at 70% at the end of the day. Now it is at 90%. That's 9 hours of idle sitting doing nothng but polling my exchange server every 15 minutes and whatever all those preloaded apps do when they report all your personal information to the guys in the black helicopters (are they IRS agents?).

So that's my theory...all you people reporting less battery life are just enthusiastically playing with your new features.

Nate

thebizguy

Reaction score
Actually mine is sitting on my desk most of the time during the day without use. Maybe 2-3 text messages. Outside of my work day I might agree with you. With that said.. I am very confident in my statement. It sits here idle most of the day... so battery drain must come from the upgrade 2.1/kernel or the phone/battery went south the exact day I did the upgrade. Previously only rooted 2.01 it would sit on my desk and be about 90% at the end of my work day. Now with 2.1 it is 30-40% at the end of my work day. That is a big difference and I assure you, it is not me using the phone, apps and features..

nateccnn

Reaction score
Actually mine is sitting on my desk most of the time during the day without use. Maybe 2-3 text messages. Outside of my work day I might agree with you. With that said.. I am very confident in my statement. It sits here idle most of the day... so battery drain must come from the upgrade 2.1/kernel or the phone/battery went south the exact day I did the upgrade. Previously only rooted 2.01 it would sit on my desk and be about 90% at the end of my work day. Now with 2.1 it is 30-40% at the end of my work day. That is a big difference and I assure you, it is not me using the phone, apps and features..

Are you on a 3g service when it sits on your desk at work? It might not be the 2.1 kernel...it could be the baseband update. You might be one of the few that saw worse radio connection with the new baseband. But I think Vz has a code you can punch in to make some change to make it work better. Have you tried calling support?

Nate

thebizguy

Reaction score
Yes I have 3G service. I have not done a baseband update, could that be it? I am still at baseband C_01.3E.01P

rgn2000

Reaction score
I have also noticed a big difference in battery life since 2.1. It has gotten worse. From say 7am to 5pm when I leave work it is about 50%. I even did a factory reset on it (recommendation from sticky on 2.1 issues), but there was no improvement. Other things corrected itself, but not the battery. I have had the phone since launch date. I will say that it is true we may be using the phone a little more with 2.1, but to me something else is going on. I charge it every night.

Last edited:
OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
I actually started using screebl pro and I have to say, somehow I think I'm noticing a bit of a difference!! I could use it for a good half hour or so and then still end up with 90% battery left.