anybody experiencing what they feel is less battery on 2.1??(yes another thread)

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
let me get to my situation first before I complain before I babble on again. Just to get this out of the way, my battery life on my droid was nevers spectacular. I've always kept my wifi gps and brightness on the lowest unless needed. I've tried on an off using task killers. its probably been asked 10000 times. I manually upgraded to 2.1 and its hard to say but(read title) so..recently without having any atk type app or juice defender app Id simply..try to use my phone moderately, then after getting maybe almost a day, then using till the power goes out completely. then ill wait a few minutes, than charge it till its 100 percent and leave it for a few minutes. then ill unplug and turn it off till the next day. if I use it then for the next 20 minutes to browse it might go down to 80 percent. sometimes ill use maybe for even just 5 minutes and it it will go down to 80. How HOW THE HELL DO PEOPLE GO FOR A HALF AN HOUR WHEN ITS ON AND STILL SAY THEY HAVE 90 PERCENT BATTERY?? AND HOW CAN YOU POSSIBKY GO FOR TWO DAYS WITH MEDIUM USAGE??? I'm lucky if I can even get 8 hours under heavy usage. I don't get how like almost everybody in the review market says that the take managers/killers save a lot of battery because I'd love to know the secret....how much battery do you guys get. And I'm sorry but I lied about the babbling.

Last edited:
OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
btw at the time of this second post my battery reads a little over 5 hours of usage and its at 40 percent, maybe 30 by the time I exit the phone browser. and I've had my phone in sleep mode all day during school except during lunch and coming home.

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
My battery life has always been a bit of an issue with the Droid. I got in the habbit of charging it every night while I sleep. I will tell you that I am not rooted and I do not have a task killer or any power saver app on my phone. I am up every morning and unplugging my phone around 6:30. I usually immediately check emails and facebook. I talk to my mother every morning on my drive into the office for about 30 mins. Then I use my phone sparingly throughout the day with calls and text msgs. Then when I am off work at 5:30 through the evening I will use it to check emails and again facebook or text. By the time I plug the phone up at night (10:00 ish) I usually have about 40-50%. I have read here in the forums that we are not suppose to let the batteries on the Droid drain completely. I have noticed that depending on my usage, my remaining battery maybe lower or almost gone by the time I go to bed. But I have never been able to go to the next day without charging.

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
thanks for yout input id appreciate it. id appreciate if some other people have any other thought on this as well??? maybe also if they think their browser is a bit slower, especially on forum sites like this one??(I know that's a different topic) I feel I've been obsessing with my phone's battery more than just enjoying it but I'm just so obsessed with it!! I don't know why the battery percentage has to go by tens! lol why can't we have 93 percent instead of seeing 80 percent in five minutes? when are they going invent a super battery or some **** idk..haha

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
My battery life has always been a bit of an issue with the Droid. I got in the habbit of charging it every night while I sleep. I will tell you that I am not rooted and I do not have a task killer or any power saver app on my phone. I am up every morning and unplugging my phone around 6:30. I usually immediately check emails and facebook. I talk to my mother every morning on my drive into the office for about 30 mins. Then I use my phone sparingly throughout the day with calls and text msgs. Then when I am off work at 5:30 through the evening I will use it to check emails and again facebook or text. By the time I plug the phone up at night (10:00 ish) I usually have about 40-50%. I have read here in the forums that we are not suppose to let the batteries on the Droid drain completely. I have noticed that depending on my usage, my remaining battery maybe lower or almost gone by the time I go to bed. But I have never been able to go to the next day without charging.
also from reading your post you don't really use the internet browser that much? I'm always on the freakin thing whcih might be the answer to my question but I'm just never satisfied.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you're "always on the browser" then that explains your battery life. Not necessarily why you perceive it to be less with 2.1 (not my own experience with it) but regarding battery life in general.

jwlk

Reaction score
let me get to my situation first before I complain before I babble on again. Just to get this out of the way, my battery life on my droid was nevers spectacular. I've always kept my wifi gps and brightness on the lowest unless needed. I've tried on an off using task killers. its probably been asked 10000 times. I manually upgraded to 2.1 and its hard to say but(read title) so..recently without having any atk type app or juice defender app Id simply..try to use my phone moderately, then after getting maybe almost a day, then using till the power goes out completely. then ill wait a few minutes, than charge it till its 100 percent and leave it for a few minutes. then ill unplug and turn it off till the next day. if I use it then for the next 20 minutes to browse it might go down to 80 percent. sometimes ill use maybe for even just 5 minutes and it it will go down to 80. How HOW THE HELL DO PEOPLE GO FOR A HALF AN HOUR WHEN ITS ON AND STILL SAY THEY HAVE 90 PERCENT BATTERY?? AND HOW CAN YOU POSSIBKY GO FOR TWO DAYS WITH MEDIUM USAGE??? I'm lucky if I can even get 8 hours under heavy usage. I don't get how like almost everybody in the review market says that the take managers/killers save a lot of battery because I'd love to know the secret....how much battery do you guys get. And I'm sorry but I lied about the babbling.

It looks like I use my phone pretty much the same as you, but my battery lasts about two days (not 48 hours, but about 25). I switch between using my phone moderately, and heavily, but when i am using my phone, i am always texting and on the browser. I have 2.1 update btw. If you have insurance, you can go to Verizon and they will give you a free battery, no charge if you tell them the battery is draining to fast (i've done it before, on my blackberry)
Goodluck

EDIT:
Also, i've never heard about how your not supposed to let the battery drain completely, but i am pretty new so i'm trying to learn all i can, and am surprised by how much i never knew (i got it about 3 months ago). When is a good time to charge it? and sorry for asking a question on your thread, but does it overcharge? if i leave it in for whole night. even when its charged?
thanks

Last edited:

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
An extra OEM battery for the Droid is between $10 and $15 on Amazon. For God's sake, buy one! A standalone battery charger is likewise $15 on Amazon. Get one. Keep a fully charged battery and change the batteries once in awhile.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can get from 18 to 30 hours, depending on where I am and what I'm doing with the phone. I just ordered the extended battery.

hiimjered

Reaction score
My battery life improved when I upgraded to 2.1. With moderate usage (about 2 hours of surfing and maybe another hour of calls) I can just make it through a day without charging. Any more use and I have to charge sometime during the day.

I used to have to charge early every day under 2.0.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
What does Battery Usage say is using your battery life? The display is usually a big culprit. I keep mine on the lowest possible setting unless I am in bright sunlight. Then I switch it to Auto. I charge my phone every other day, but don't use it as much as most on here.

thebizguy

Reaction score
My battery is terrible after 2.1 Koush 5.0.6.1

Previously I was rooted 2.01. I have recently upgraded to Koush 5.0.6.1 and my battery is going to about 30% in 8 hours, whereas before it was maybe 80%. It appears most of the usage is cell standby. I have tried the airplane mode and it does not appear to resolve the issue. I have run Bekit 7 slot 1000 SV and Bekit stock and even a couple P3 kernels. Any thoughts?

Darkseider

Reaction score
From what I have noticed myself with battery life it is dependent on usage. With that said from your example it sounds like either a bad battery, run away program/process or lastly bad phone. The first thing you should do is get the battery replaced and then charge it for a FULL 24 hours. I know it sounds a bit steep but it really does make a difference. Then go through the standard BS of using it until it hits the 5% and turns off the first time and then plug it in and leave it alone until the next morning. From there on use as usual and charge at night.

If that makes no difference the next question is what do you have installed? Widgets running and constantly updating? Poorly written program hammering the system even when sleeping, etc... Lastly if none of those are the case your last means of recourse is to get the phone replaced.

thebizguy

Reaction score
Bad phone or Battery?

Thanks for your response. But honestly I fail to see how it could be the phone or battery. yes perhaps the phone or battery went bad at the precise time I upgraded to 2.1. However I would highly doubt it. I have looked at what used the battery a few times before but did not really focus on it much. Now I am paying attention since it is draining quickly. If I simply just take the phone off the charger and let it set for the day. Cell standby consumes almost all of the battery, probably 70+%. This drain, was immediately following the upgrade to 2.1, not a week later, but the next day I noticed it. If you still fill strongly it is the phone or battery, I guess I could downgrade to 2.01 to verify.

qat

Reaction score
I just yesterday got a new Motorola Droid, and have noticed a significant difference in battery life. I had my phone in sleep mode for a good 6 hours, and it used about 10% battery. At the time, I was using a task killer, and made sure to clean out processes when I was done. Now, i'm not using a task killer. I left my phone in stand by for 8 hours and it used a better portion of 60%. I don't know if this is because of the extra background processes or what, but it's one of the reasons I am writing as many of my own apps as possible!

In the mean time, a spare Droid battery doesn't seem like too much of an expense.