Anybody else ready to kick their Bionic to the curb?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by nkkojak, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhemke17

dhemke17 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +4
    I had a bionic for about a month. Several things about the phone made me trade it out for an incredible 2.

1. I'm not in a 4G area so that was pretty much worthless to me.
    2. I like to take pictures of my baby girl and trying to capture anything decent with the bionic was impossible.
    3. As a developer, I don't like being tethered to a computer if something went wrong.
    4. When I had it, the deodexed Rom caused root to act funky...this was fixed by doing it manually, but shortly thereafter I had to use the fastboot files over a simple framework edit...

That being said, it was still 100% better than the Droid 2. I will be in the market for another phone since ill be living in a 4G area and am considering going back to the bionic even though the gnex sounds great, I just don't trust Samsung devices.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

2. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    This.

Just read the other forums, it seems like the forum for every 4G LTE device is filled with issues.

Getting a new phone isn't going to help, VZW is still ironing out firmware incompatibilities between its 4G LTE base station equipment and its phones. Part of the leaked changelog for .901 references a fix for Alcatel-Lucent equipment. Obviously, the people experiencing tons of issues with their Bionic happen to live in an area serviced by a tower using equipment that doesn't play nice with their phone. As these incompatibilities are ironed out, I expect connectivity will improve across the board. Right now, it's like the early days of wifi where there are a lot of incompatibilities between equipment.

The people whining about the Bionic's connectivity would probably be best served by a 3G device at the moment.

3. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    I agree with you, man. Actually, if I had the money i'd probably have an iOS device, an Android device, a WebOS device, and a Windows Phone 7 device. Messing with phones is one of my hobbies. Sometimes people seem to forget that we're not all fanboys. I do agree with you 100% about the iPhone 4 "just working", during my time with one I basically never had to think about it. I knew that when I went to unlock it, it would be ready; and not locked up, etc. If there's one thing I can say for my iPhone 4, it's that it was a rock solid phone.

I don't agree that Blur (in its current form) is all that intrusive, though. To me, it just seems like running a custom ROM with a fancy launcher. Actually, it's not even Blur anymore; it's "Motorola Applications Platform"

4. Blackhawk13

Blackhawk13 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have had no problems with the bionic. This will probably be the first phone I keep longer than 2 years. Its like we get a new phone with each update.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

5. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    To be fair, adding on a 4G LTE network based on GSM technology to an existing 3G EV-DO network based on CDMA technology can't be simple. Most of the issues seem to involve the device choosing the wrong network to connect to. For example, if the 4G network is "down", sometimes the fallback to 3G will not happen because the 4G radio can still "see" the network, it just cannot get a connection. So it gets in an infinite retry loop. This is why sometimes the only way to get a 3G connection during a 4G outage is to put the device into CDMA Only mode. They will figure it out, but realistically it will take time. It will be especially hard for them to come up with a solution that works reliably in a fringe area. What do you do when the signal strength advantage is constantly flip/flopping between 3G/4G?

They figured it out easily enough for 2G/3G; but those were both CDMA technologies. This time, it's a bit different.

6. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    If they are in the right format, you can.

7. dlo-htown

dlo-htown Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I've already kicked my Bionic to the curb. I will be receiving a replacement Razr tomorrow from Verizon.

But, after checking out my friend's Nexus in detail... I wish I was getting that now instead, but at least I'm getting rid of the Bionic.

Really feeling good about that!

8. lithoman

lithoman Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Current Phone Model:
    Turbo
    \
    Dont forget to come back and post your problems with the Razr in this thread :D

9. nateohio

nateohio Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I was thinking the exact same thing!!!!!

10. jkliving92

jkliving92 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Try the 901 update before going through the hassle of a new phone OP

11. Blackhawk13

Blackhawk13 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Or just go to the razr thread and read all their complaints on there before you buy it.

12. k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t Senior Member

Ratings:
    +114
    Current Phone Model:
    Z Force
    You're right, I only said movies to get the point across, but really it's TV shows AND movies (only a few), which on one of my cards is about 120 files or something. You're missing the point about the transferring. I fill my 32gb SD card up with music, but I have my top stuff taking about 4 gigs on my internal. So if I need to use my phone for said movies/shows, it's far easier to just pop off the back cover and switch out cards. I don't understand your point about making copies seeing as how the issue isn't moving things over, it's how much space I can use at once with A LOT of stuff I use fairly frequently. If all I had available was internal memory, then just "making copies" would be beyond pointless since I'd still have to delete them to fit other stuff in there...as opposed to just switching out cards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

max sd card for droid bionic