Anybody else notice Handcent sms' new update is laggy?

knighthonor

Reaction score
Anybody else notice Handcent sms' new update causes a lot of lag?

I have a droid x, and have noticed since the update to the app, my phone lags or crashes when I get a text message pop up in the middle of another app in use. Sometimes the pop up will also crash my phone at the homescreen.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Lenagainster

Reaction score
Not trying to steal your thread, but in the absence of a quick reply, one solution might be to try another messaging app. I used Handcent for a while and one thing I wanted to do (not critically important) was to back up my text messages. Handcent would sent them to an account online, and I could be wrong, but it seemed like there was a fee involved to maintain an online account. So I looked into GOSMS, and immediately liked it. I could back up to the phone's memory card as well as send a backup email to my gmail account. Just recently, GOSMS made the PRO version free and suggested all users upgrade. Very nice app, ad-free.
I'd suggest trying GOSMS PRO so you don't have to struggle with a laggy app.
Otherwise, try "aCCleaner", a cache cleaner, and then restart you phone, and see if that speeds things up.

PhilD

Reaction score
i am running 3.82 and i haven't had any crashes on my Droid X. the lag in 3.82 is exactly the same as 3.81 as far as i can tell. i have had occasional issues when upgrading Handcent in the past, but an uninstall/reinstall always seems to fix the problem.

Last edited:

Smittys

Reaction score
I've noticed that its laggy to. Its slow when opening a "thread". haven't crashed to home yet though

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

dorlisa

Reaction score
I have used Handcent for the last year and half and loved it.. but here lately, it is slow, messages wont send, MMS wont come through.. I deleted it and reinstalled it.. same thing... I have alot of personalized stuff so I hated to lose it but ... thanks to previous poster, I downloaded gosms pro and LOVE it!! So far so good.... I didnt think I would ever change from Handcent though.. it is awesome but lately.. just wouldnt work right.

bullswife98

Reaction score
I am a long time user of handcent as well,but I decided to give go SMS pro a shot and I don't like it as much. Seems like I can't personalize it like I can handcent. I try to set a background and nothing changes,or even try t apply a theme for it and still nothing. So I think I will uninstall this and stick to handcent,at least I can theme it and it seems much easier to use.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

FATRAY

Reaction score
I noticed that too, I thought it was my phone untill I uninstalled it. Using the stock app eveything was back to normal.

bullswife98

Reaction score
Yeah,I just use my handcent. Like how I can customize it and enable my signature and all that. The other seemed a little confusing to me and way more steps than I have time for. Fan of the k.i.s.s theroy (keep it simply stupid) lol

vonfink13

Reaction score
yup...mine is laggy too..and i just got it all tweaked the way i like it...i am hoping for another update to fix the lag....soon...

JLB09

Reaction score
My problem is now after using Handcent for months and months it has logged me out and I do not seem able to log back in. I wondered if anyone has had this problem. I noticed lag too but really like its layout and hated to try something new.

lookEVO

Reaction score
Its sucked for months. i deleted, used something else and came back and it still sucks.