Anybody else get an emergency message on their smartphone?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
There were reports (maybe last week?) of T-Mobile testing this with their users, and some people mistakenly got them. Testing some sort of new national emergency system alerts through the carriers I guess... that's what this sounds like.

sharkerbaby

Reaction score
yep, there is a nationwide emergency alert system test tomorrow at 2 pm est. 1st nationwide one ever! it's goal is to test all the related services throughout the system. we've all been exposed to local tests in various forms. outdoor alert systems are frequently tested the 1st tues of the month at 10 am local time, you've probably heard /seen the alert system on the radio and tv and by 2013 (?) all mobile phones need to be equipped with a special receiver that will allow you to receive free emergency alerts based upon your current location - you'll be able to opt out of all except presidential alerts.

during pre-testing, t-mobile inadvertently sent an alert to some of their users last week

for more info see the US governments website related to the test...

Emergency Alert System Nationwide Test | FCC.gov

Lenagainster

Reaction score
I got mine as well as the BH yesterday. Option to opt out of various notifications except for the presidential mandated one.
RMT is what it's called. Confusing with RTM (Remember The Milk) app.
I wonder if they will do a study about the surge in car crashes at the exact time that an RMT warning is sent out to all cell phones.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Every aspect of tele-media will be receiving this message. TV, Radio, etc etc.

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
nothing new for Hawaii. we always get tsunami warnings besides monthly testings. earthquakes daily although majority are never felt, so says the geologists