anybody else experience very small hiccups in the audio?

jasonb

Reaction score
pretty much anytime i am in my car i have my phone in the car dock and have the phone plugged into my stereo in my car. when using the music player(playing music off of the SD card) i get random little hiccups. i don't know the best way to describe it, but it's just very minor very very very short little pauses or skips in the audio. it's like the phone has to much going on in the background and its struggling. it only does this when using the music player playing music from the SD card. doesn't do it with Pandora, doesn't do it with Droidlive, just the music player. it has done with from day one.

i have played music files of different formats, (mp3, HE-AAC) all will do it. it did it with the stock player, mixzing, 3, the 2.1 music player, i've tried pretty much every player out there. it did it before i rooted, and it still does it now that i am rooted and overclocked at 800mhz. it seems like it maybe doing it slightly less now that i am rooted and overclocked but it still does it enough to annoy me. it did it back when i used a task killer and it still does it now that i decided a task killer was a waste of time.

i also use it at home hooked to my stereo at home and it will still do the same thing but nowhere near as frequently as it does in the car.

i really have no idea why it is doing this and what the solution would be. does anybody else experience this or have any idea what the problem is?

my dad who works for IBM and was a big part of developing java (so he knows his programming) says it's just linux handling applications in the background and simply not doing it seamlessly enough.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
my dad who works for IBM and was a big part of developing java (so he knows his programming) says it's just linux handling applications in the background and simply not doing it seamlessly enough.

Listen to your father. And then consider how much the Droid has going on when you're in your car that it's called on to manage.

Itamar

Reaction score
I noticed it too. It's been happening a lot less often since I hacked to 600 MHz though.

OP
jasonb

jasonb

Reaction score

Listen to your father. And then consider how much the Droid has going on when you're in your car that it's called on to manage.

what more will be going on simply because it's in the car? it's simply sitting in the windshield mount playing music. that's the only task i have it doing.

also why does it only do it when playing music off of the SD card? it doesn't do it when streaming music.

OP
jasonb

jasonb

Reaction score
I noticed it too. It's been happening a lot less often since I hacked to 600 MHz though.

yea, it's happening less now that i am up to 800mhz. it still annoys me though. i guess that's the price we pay when we are allowed to multi task.

Jeremy556

Reaction score
Mine does it whether it is playing from the SD card, Pandora, Last.FM, or DroidLive Lite. Doesn't seem to matter if it is the only thing going or not, and it has done this on 2.0, 2.01, 2.1, and every 2.01 ROM I have tried, even with overclocking at 600, 800, 950, and 1000MHz.:rolleyes:

Sleeve

Reaction score
I don't want to hijack, hopefully this doesn't, but I get about a 1-2 second gap at the beginning of each song. It sort of stutters in. Once it gets over that, then the music's clean. At first, I thought it was because last.fm installs with scrobbling on by default, so I shut that off. I can't think of anything that would cause the tracks to skip at the beginning. Seems like the shuffle function doesn't pick its next track until the current track finishes playing and doesn't buffer the track. Wondering if possibly a higher speed class SD card would help my situation or the OP's.

Jeremy556

Reaction score
I don't want to hijack, hopefully this doesn't, but I get about a 1-2 second gap at the beginning of each song. It sort of stutters in. Once it gets over that, then the music's clean. At first, I thought it was because last.fm installs with scrobbling on by default, so I shut that off. I can't think of anything that would cause the tracks to skip at the beginning. Seems like the shuffle function doesn't pick its next track until the current track finishes playing and doesn't buffer the track. Wondering if possibly a higher speed class SD card would help my situation or the OP's.

I have noticed the same thing. A faster SD card would probably help. A decent media player application would probably help a lot more. I mean, how hard is it to cross fade tracks?

deputc26

Reaction score
I have observed this when internet is acquired and lost. connect?

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've had a few songs that were playing do this.....the small little hiccups, it's only happened maybe 4 or 5 times total I would say...but another weird thing, is that it only happened on on the same couple songs...and it wasn't a "skip" like on a CD, it was like it would cut out for a split second and would continue to do it more and more the rest of that song, and whenever I changed the song, it wouldn't do it anymore

wil318466

Reaction score
pretty much anytime i am in my car i have my phone in the car dock and have the phone plugged into my stereo in my car. when using the music player(playing music off of the SD card) i get random little hiccups. i don't know the best way to describe it, but it's just very minor very very very short little pauses or skips in the audio. it's like the phone has to much going on in the background and its struggling. it only does this when using the music player playing music from the SD card. doesn't do it with Pandora, doesn't do it with Droidlive, just the music player. it has done with from day one.

i have played music files of different formats, (mp3, HE-AAC) all will do it. it did it with the stock player, mixzing, 3, the 2.1 music player, i've tried pretty much every player out there. it did it before i rooted, and it still does it now that i am rooted and overclocked at 800mhz. it seems like it maybe doing it slightly less now that i am rooted and overclocked but it still does it enough to annoy me. it did it back when i used a task killer and it still does it now that i decided a task killer was a waste of time.

i also use it at home hooked to my stereo at home and it will still do the same thing but nowhere near as frequently as it does in the car.

i really have no idea why it is doing this and what the solution would be. does anybody else experience this or have any idea what the problem is?

I listen to music ALL the time in the car and I can honestly say I've never had this issue when I was overclocked or not.

it must be something else...

-Wil