Any word yet?

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
Still keeping my eye out for a GB leak or a time frame for VZW update. Seriously considering ditching D2G for lack of support.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I don't care. My D2G is the first Android phone/device I've ever had and I agree with Androidgeek. Seriously considering ditching D2G for lack of support. Both from Moto and the community. I've had my phone since it was released in November, and I've only seen ONE ROM that was released for it by the community.

And apparently people jump all over your **** here, I'm not bashing the community. It's obviously just the lack of adoption. I only bought the D2G so I could use it when I traveled, but that's also the same thing that killed it. They should just drop the D2G (they will soon) and stop wasting people's time.

Obviously you bought the WRONG phone and made an uneducated guess!

You paid more for your phone to get features you were never going to use!
Why did you Buy a GLOBAL phone if you never intend to leave the country?

Most intelligent people bought the D2 and DX because they were smart enough not to spend MORE money on a feature that not only they will never use but KNEW it would make it 10 times harder to develop for and customize due to the schizophrenic nature of the radio hardware!

Why do other CDMA units geta ton of support and options? Because one CDMA Rom is pretty similar to another CDMA rom. All that needs to be changed is a few drivers in the system to make it work.
A ROM that is made for a CDMA ONLY phone of one brand can pretty easily be ported to work on another because the radio is essentially the same is controlled the same and has everything needed because it was MEANT TO WORK on a CDMA Phone?

Why do the GSM folks have options and support? READ ABOVE and do a find/replace of CDMA with GSM!

All the folks who have AT&T GSM service are using ROMS from other CDMA units and porting them.
All the folks with VZW or Sprint CDMA service are doing the same.

Ther are only two phones currently that have Hybrid radio systems. The D2G and the Droid Pro!
There are no other units that do it that we can steal rom files from, They haven't been invented yet!

Why did the thunderbolt get such quick support?
Well it is a ONE SYSTEM radio! 4G to be precise! If it had the multiple radios we have in the D2G it would be as unsupported as we are!

4G is a STANDARD
CDMA is a STANDARD
GSM is a STANDARD
What the D2G is anything but STANDARD!

SO you can't just use standard equipment to modify and change it!

If your prepared to dump the D2G over lack of support then the truth is you bought the wrong phone in the first place!
You went and got a formula one when all you needed was a CHEVY!

Everyone has a Chevy and can do work on one. Most Chevy parts work in any other Chevy! Can't put Chevy parts in a Formula One!
You have to be really good and know what your doing to modify a formula one!

Thats why you aren't getting or seeing as many ROMS for D2G as you do for D2/DX and any other SINGLE RADIO STANDARD unit that has been released!

And if you don't realize this or didn't expect this when you bought the unit then you probably have no business flashing ROMS in the first place because it will be obvious your clueless and will brick it before the warranty is up!

I think you basically hit the nail on the head :icon_censored:

Asphyx

Reaction score
People keep in mind our community developers develop these roms for free. they are not getting paid to them. They are doing out of love of their work. Like others said. Not many developers have the DG2. Why would they get that phone since it was released not too long after the Droid2. Regarding motorola, I think the phone is not that old. Thats why they are not making the DG2 update a priority over the droid X and Droid2. Just have some patience and eventually the update will come out.

It's not even that...
These complainers are just Flash Junkies that haven't figured out you don't need to flash a ROM a week like they did with WinMo because for one all the features in Android are pretty much in the base system and...
Two...Android official releases are actually made (Unlike WinMo) and when the base keeps changing it takes that much longer for developers to figure out what to change and how to change it!

Most of these guy are used to the old WinMo. It NEVER had an update and the only way it could be modified was when a new phone came out we would put those files onto our phone and make an update ourselves to the newest system.

They got addicted to flashing and now that a REAL OS with Inventor support is there they don't understand why it isn't needed anymore.

Fission works flawlessly!
And we are going to get Gingerbread soon enough.
I don't know what they think they are getting by flashing a rom but it sure isn't any better stability! Especially not if they are flashing a rom a week!

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
To be fair about the wrong phone, vzw started forcing the d2g on people. I only wanted a d2 but when I said that to the vzw rep at the local I was told they aren't carried anymore and it was a d2g or something without a keyboard. The keyboard was a must for me so I was left without much choice. Im sure im not the only one that's happened to.....

@asphyx that was a really good post lol

sent from a D2G with Liberty 2

Asphyx

Reaction score
The problem is the guys who are complaining are probably not even smart enough to understand what I said!

All they know is they want to flash something!

bikedude880

Reaction score
And when Moto is doing everything and more to keep us form easily using core features (radios, anyone?), the work becomes a lot harder :soapbox:

Asphyx

Reaction score
To be fair about the wrong phone, vzw started forcing the d2g on people. I only wanted a d2 but when I said that to the vzw rep at the local I was told they aren't carried anymore and it was a d2g or something without a keyboard. The keyboard was a must for me so I was left without much choice. Im sure im not the only one that's happened to.....

LOL 13th and thanks for the Props.

But you of all people should know better than to listen to someone at a local store! LOL

All they know is they want you to buy a phone and if they know it isn't in stock they will push something else on you.

You should hear some of my conversations when dealing with the local salesfolk at VZW.

One insisted on me giving him my TP so he could transfer contacts and I had to argue with him for a half hour before he relented as he claimed I wouldn't be able to get my contacts into the phone without BA (My TP was flashed no BA!LOL). Then he activated the phone I entered my Google info for him then showed him my contact list fully populated!
He asked me how did you do that and I told him if he gave me another phone for nothing I would tell him...

He refused of course! I love playing with those guys!

kptphalkon

Reaction score
@13th, yeah that same thing happened to me. On the bright side, I got my 2 global for 50 bucks less than the advertised price.

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
@13th, yeah that same thing happened to me. On the bright side, I got my 2 global for 50 bucks less than the advertised price.

I got mine through asurion. A Brand new replacement for my OG Droid. I kinda got sick of flashing so I decided to accept their replacement and settle down. Have more family time dancedroid

Asphyx

Reaction score
And when Moto is doing everything and more to keep us form easily using core features (radios, anyone?), the work becomes a lot harder :soapbox:

It also leaves out all the folks who are building AOSP from creating for us as well. Personally My ***** about the device is all aimed at Moto and the locked bootloader. If they fixed that then custom roms would flow like water off a mountain! But then we would probably all be running CyanogenMod and not really care if there was anything else! LOL

I got mine through asurion. A Brand new replacement for my OG Droid. I kinda got sick of flashing so I decided to accept their replacement and settle down. Have more family time dancedroid

I got mine free when VZW had a Buy one Get one sale otherwise I would have waited for a 4G phone. LOL

You support WOULD be nice but since Fission does everything well it's not like I am really hating what I have!
It works and I bought the phone to work not show off to my friends so I can be cool that I did something they couldn't! LOL

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

LOL 13th and thanks for the Props.

But you of all people should know better than to listen to someone at a local store! LOL

All they know is they want you to buy a phone and if they know it isn't in stock they will push something else on you.

You should hear some of my conversations when dealing with the local salesfolk at VZW.

My mom dealt with it while I was looking at other phones lol. Otherwise I would have just waited. Also, this is my first smart phone. I had no clue about rooting/roms etc at that point. To be honest, I had no clue of the differences until I started really getting into the android os and how it works.

Asphyx

Reaction score
Well as they say....

You've come a long way Baby! LOL
Right now you are probably one of the most popular devs the D2G has!

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
That doesn't take much when theirs only Team Defuse and us at GRD lol. There's someone else working on one too but it isn't really close to being released yet. Im personally just starting to get into dev'ing. Unfortunately I accidentally screwed up my ubuntu install and have to start from scratch =/

I jumped in and learned everything I could, otherwise I wouldn't be near where I am with this. Software interests me, always has. I'm one of those type of people that just has to know how something works or it bugs me. I kinda wish there were more people like that on here, then I wouldn't have to explain stuff so much lol.

CertifiedGeeker2020

Reaction score
Chose this phone with high hopes for a great keyboard. It came through. Working on getting better with dev and eventually being able to spark my own ideas on here. I am disappointed about the boot loader. For the most part, I am satisfied with the phone. Battery life initially gave me trouble, and had some issues after root.but all in all it is a reliable phone, played with gingerbread and fell in love. Anxiously awaiting that update. For now, I just have a gingerbread theme installed to give me the look. I have a feeling though, that this phone will be placed on the backburner, from what I understand it wasn't the most sought after device, and with 4G phones hitting the market the need for the global future will probably become more and more obsolete within the next year. It is a small market for these types of phones, and an even smaller one for developers to support it.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

OP
A

androidgeek

Reaction score
Honestly I set up 2 PC's to start the endeavor of compiling ROM's. I spent weeks reading, researching, reading and then reading some more. I had to get warm and fuzzy with linux first, that was the time consumer. But in the end I'm really just turned off by the idea now. I was spending far too much time in front of the PC at night. I quit flashing around 3 months ago. The android world still has me excited and I still love to read and follow up on its improvement. If its done anything it's really opened my eyes to open-source. I flip through several other forums and follow them all pretty frequently. I have to say this site is the worst for people though. It's getting deleted from bookmarks. I'll come back every once in a while for reference but thats about it. This site is has a lot of good information but as for asking questions and conversation, forget it. I've had better conversations with hippies.

cricketson007

Reaction score
Honestly I set up 2 PC's to start the endeavor of compiling ROM's. I spent weeks reading, researching, reading and then reading some more. I had to get warm and fuzzy with linux first, that was the time consumer. But in the end I'm really just turned off by the idea now. I was spending far too much time in front of the PC at night. I quit flashing around 3 months ago. The android world still has me excited and I still love to read and follow up on its improvement. If its done anything it's really opened my eyes to open-source. I flip through several other forums and follow them all pretty frequently. I have to say this site is the worst for people though. It's getting deleted from bookmarks. I'll come back every once in a while for reference but thats about it. This site is has a lot of good information but as for asking questions and conversation, forget it. I've had better conversations with hippies.

I agree with you about the people on here. Just because you know more than most about these phones doesn't give you the right to make other people feel stupid for not knowing something or for asking a question. People use these forums for getting help, not to be ridiculed for not knowing.

Sent from DROID2 GLOBAL