Any way to tether using Bluetooth?

truckbutt

Reaction score
I am using an unrooted Droid, OS 2.2, and EasyTether to connect my netbook to the Internet via a USB cable. Is there anyway to do this via Bluetooth instead of the USB cable?

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
PDANet has bluetooth tethering, they have a free and paid version. I believe the free version will visit any site except Secure sites i.e. HTTPS sites. Although some free users have reported being able to visit those sites as well.

OP
T

truckbutt

Reaction score
Thanks. I have that but haven't tried it yet. Will the drivers from EasyTether interfere?

naknak95

Reaction score
Thanks. I have that but haven't tried it yet. Will the drivers from EasyTether interfere?

They shouldn't. I had both installed and PdaNet worked fine. Try this.

1.) Download PDANet to your phone. After that make sure your bluetooth is turned on.

2.) Pair your phone with your laptop.

3.) Start PDAnet on your phone, if it says it wants to make it discoverable, click "No". (Clicking yes doesn't work for me for some reason.)

4. You don't need to install PDANet to your laptop for BT. Just go to dial-up settings in Internet Explorer and set up a new broadband connection. Do "Standand Modem over Bluetooth Link # ". then for the number it wants to dial out, put #333.

5.) Leave Username and Password blank, then it should work.

Any problems, message me back.

OP
T

truckbutt

Reaction score
I have PDAnet installed on my phone and my netbook with Win 7. When using Bluetooth, I find that if I start PDAnet before I open IE, I get an error message. If I start IE first, wait for it to load and say that it has no connection and then start PDAnet, it runs perfectly. This doesn't happen with PDAnet in tether mode. Will what you have suggested above take care of that?

naknak95

Reaction score
I have PDAnet installed on my phone and my netbook with Win 7. When using Bluetooth, I find that if I start PDAnet before I open IE, I get an error message. If I start IE first, wait for it to load and say that it has no connection and then start PDAnet, it runs perfectly. This doesn't happen with PDAnet in tether mode. Will what you have suggested above take care of that?

Yes it shouldn't have any connection errors as long as you folllow the directions.

OP
T

truckbutt

Reaction score
Will try it and let you know what happens.
Thanks,
Scott

OP
T

truckbutt

Reaction score

They shouldn't. I had both installed and PdaNet worked fine. Try this.

1.) Download PDANet to your phone. After that make sure your bluetooth is turned on.

2.) Pair your phone with your laptop.

3.) Start PDAnet on your phone, if it says it wants to make it discoverable, click "No". (Clicking yes doesn't work for me for some reason.)

4. You don't need to install PDANet to your laptop for BT. Just go to dial-up settings in Internet Explorer and set up a new broadband connection. Do "Standand Modem over Bluetooth Link # ". then for the number it wants to dial out, put #333.

5.) Leave Username and Password blank, then it should work.

Any problems, message me back.
The choices you suggest are not available. There is no place to enter a number to dial out. Where do you put "Standard Modem over Bluetooth Link#".

OP
T

truckbutt

Reaction score
I tried whjat you suggested. There is no place to put a #333 for Broadband connection. I keep getting error 651 when I try to connect.

OP
T

truckbutt

Reaction score
After searching the internet I found out that alot of people have had great difficulty getting PDAnet to work in Bluetooh Mode with Windows 7. I pieced together some posts on how to set this up.
1. Go into Internet Options
2. Click on the Connections Tab.
3. Select Add to the right of Dial Up and Virtual Private Network settings.
4. In Windows 7 select Dial Up Connection
5. Ignore User Name and Password.
6. Use 123 as the phone number.
7. Click on the Options Tab.
8. Uncheck all boxes except Display Progress While Connecting.
9. Click on the Conections Tab and select Dial whenever a Network Connection isn't present.
10. Make sure your phone is paired with your computer.
The final step in getting this to work in Windows 7, is that you have to start IE before you connect to PDAnet. If you don't you will get an error message and it won't connect.
Thanks to all the people whose post helped me to figure this out. I hope it's useful here.

Last edited:

HikenGruven

Reaction score
I had no idea that PDA Net could be utilized through Bluetooth. Hopefully it will be an option on Easy Tether in the future.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
T

truckbutt

Reaction score
I had no idea that PDA Net could be utilized through Bluetooth. Hopefully it will be an option on Easy Tether in the future.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
Once you get it working, it works very well. I am no longer looking to get a cellular modem for my netbook.