Any way to get 54Mbps on WifiTether?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Newton122189, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Newton122189

Newton122189 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    right now all i get is 11Mbps and that is all i have ever gotten, someone over at alldroid however claimed to be getting 54Mbps, im wondering is there anything specifically you can do that will increase it to 54Mbps, like a setting or a specific kernel or something, any advice?

edit: 3rd post on first page by hughesjr

http://alldroid.org/viewtopic.php?f=263&t=1679&start=0

and i tried that particular method of installation and i still had 11Mbps

***As a warning the method from alldroid that i linked to conflicts with chevyno1's patcher so dont do it if you have chevy's right now, i had to completely remove all traces of chevy's to get that one to work, but still 11Mbps***

#1 Newton122189, Jan 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  2. SwordOfWar

SwordOfWar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Speed, latency etc is all based on your location (coverage). Some areas are totaly crap, some are "okay" and some are excellent.

I think your only solution is to physically move to a better area.

3. Newton122189

Newton122189 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i know that is a factor but the type of signal the wifi tether is putting out could be causing it to be lower than the actual 3G signal, for example wireless b outputs 11Mbps, wireless g outputs 54Mbps, and wireless n outputs 100Mbps, so just like a router limits your speeds the wifi tether could be doing the same thing, im just wondering if there is a way to possibly improve the speeds

4. SwordOfWar

SwordOfWar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, I see what your getting at now. Well you have to understand that the WiFi Tether program only uses the WiFi for the connection between your phone and the PC or whatever is leeching from the phone. I'm guessing it uses a different chip or technology for the 3G/EVDO network.

The Phone to cell tower connection is probably different and I doubt you could change that, at least easily.

5. Newton122189

Newton122189 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, maybe i will test it in some different places and see if i can get it to give me 54Mbps if thats the case then its just based on location

6. prochobo

prochobo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What does it matter? You probably even don't top 2 mbps on Verizon EVDO.

7. Newton122189

Newton122189 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    lol, i didnt even think about it, your absolutely right, i only get like 2Mbps through 3G, talk about a brain fart

8. luisdroid

luisdroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I got 3mb today. But I don't see speeds getting much higher than that. But I've been surprised before! For example, overclock, and the ability to tether wirelessly in the first place! Interesting topic

9. Acid7711

Acid7711 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    In the end, it's not going to matter. Probably a good 75% of the internet US residents won't see "true consistent" download speeds of anything higher than 2mbps, regardless of 11 or 54. The internet will NEVER be as fast as your lan, so it doesn't matter.

Even on very very very large and long file transfers, maxing your bandwidth still is likely being throttled by your ISP, I know because I used to work for one, and I know how the connections are shared. Depending on your ISP, and how they split bandwidth, regardless of what speedtest.net or whatever tells you, you're not going to ever pull your maximum consistently.

Now at my office, where we had 3 fiber lines coming directly in straight from Chicago, we could NEVER max that SOB out, and we tried......realllllllllllllllly hard lol....pulling insane speeds, after we got done playing with it for a couple days, this was divied up to the customers, who of course, would never see these kinds of speeds either, I'm talking dealing with thousands of simultaneous connections.

Moral of my post, if you're connected to your router through wifi, and pulling a decent solid connection, it's likely going to be as good as you're going to get on anything, even if you were directly somehow to convert your usb to an ethernet port on your phone and write browser software to use it :)

#9 Acid7711, Jan 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  10. sockmess

sockmess Member

Ratings:
    +0
    2 mbps?! Damn I can bearly get 1? And I'm using usb...

11. crdnilfan

crdnilfan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My Wi-Fi Tether is indeed 54 Mbps. Though I get 1 Mbps through Verizon so it's worthless. In fact, being in 802.11G uses more battery power/creates more heat than B.

Search tags for this page
android wifi hownto reach 54mbps

verizon 54mbps

wifi tether speed only 11mb