Any way to force phone to use one radio over another?

Ducky77

Reaction score
My house is in an area where the 3G/4G signal is very low strength. The GSM signal is much better (0-1 bar vs 3ish bars. Haven't yet taken the time to measure relative dB levels). My problem is that every time my Galaxy S4 gets a whiff of this very marginal signal, it tries to use it and drops the GSM. Sometimes the signal is so marginal that someone can call me and I will never receive the call. Just some random time later (when it finally gets a better signal) all of a sudden I have a voicemail notification plus two or three texts. Not to mention that all of the radio hunting drains my battery faster than normal. (Thank goodness the battery life on this thing is great). I've tried digging around through the menus for quite some time, and haven't been able to find any options for 'preferring' one radio over another or 'forcing' use of one radio. Anyone want to fill me in on which rabbit hole I failed to go down to make this setting? Or did Samsung think we're too dumb to make the decision for ourselves, and make this functionality not available for modification? Thanks in advance for your help!

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

Different versions of the S4, (from different carriers) have different options. From what I've seen it can be changed on the Verizon S4 but the same settings aren't available on the AT&T version.