Any way to boot the droid other than using the power button?

bhawks

Reaction score
Hey everyone I have the original droid 1 and the power button has broke. The warranty is expired and I do not want to spend money on a replacement because I want to hold out for a couple months for the Bionic or other LTE phones.

Right now the only way to power up is to plug the phone into a charger, however this does not help when I am on the road, without a charger, and want to swap batteries. Is there anyway to program, say the camera button to be the power on button instead? Or is there a combination of buttons I can press on the keyboard that powers the phone on?

The droid is amazing and I wouldn't be surprised if this was possible. Thanks a lot!

iamasongnow

Reaction score
Buy a car charger. This happened to me a few months ago. Really sucks your warranty is up.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
chart

costs a buck, i haven't tried it though

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
There are a couple of lockscreen apps which disable the lockscreen and will wake the phone with the volume or camera button. Only downside is it could be easy to bump those in a pocket, and also then you have no way of password locking the phone.

Then you could pair that with a few apps that let you put the phone to sleep with a widget added to your homescreen. Tough one if you need to power up after a battery swap, though. Although, you should be able to do that with a magnet, correct, because that's how the desktop cradle works and was an issue with some holsters?

altimax98

Reaction score
Yeah the phone will come out of sleep with a dock but it wont power off one...

Sent from one of those missing Droids

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I am not sure, but I would think remapping a button via software will only work when the OS is up and running, at least in theory. I am just guessing though, and hope at least for your sake I am wrong.

Maybe getting an inexpensive portable charger to turn it on wouldn't be a bad idea. Amazon.com: Duracell Instant USB Charger with Lithium ion battery / includes universal cable with USB and mini USB,: Electronics or possibly Amazon.com: Motorola P790 Portable Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories and Amazon.com: Motorola Mini-USB to Micro-USB Charger Adapter: Cell Phones & Accessories . I realize this isn't the most ideal solution, but in terms of simplicity, it should work. Also you have a charger, which you could use with other things, and possibly even your next phone if you wanted.