Any updates on Kitkatt for VZW?

RAZRmax

Reaction score
I read they started to roll it out then stopped due to some people's phone locking up.

Any updates and when we may expect VZW to re-release it?

skoutch

Reaction score
I just updated mine to 4.4

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
R

RAZRmax

Reaction score
OK I checked and it started to download it. I canceled because I'd rather do this at home with a full charge rather than on battery (though as we know the Maxx has like a DieHard battery LOL).

Ok, scratch that. The Moto OTA download restarted itself. So I set it to install the update later tonight; I'll charge it up beforehand. Wish me luck.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
My wife installed hers without a problem. Everything is the same as it was in the soak test that was released few weeks ago.

OP
R

RAZRmax

Reaction score
Not much different. I thought the wallpaper was supposed to now fill the status bar at the top?

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
It does when you are on the lock screen, but then it reverts to Jb black notification bar. Verizon wants it that way, don't ask me why.

doogald

Reaction score
Verizon wants it that way, don't ask me why.

My guess: they don't have to update their support documents and online user manuals. Plus I am sure that they think that most of their less sophisticated customers have issues when the look and feel changes. (And yet, their iPhone customers grumble for a few days after iOS7 and then are somehow able to carry on...)

OP
R

RAZRmax

Reaction score
Is the very bottom supposed to show the wallpaper too (where the back, home, etc. buttons are) or is that fixed black?

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I updated to kit katt today and I don't see any changes. What's new for the maxx with it?

OP
R

RAZRmax

Reaction score
Very little apparently. I was hoping for at least new wallpapers and that red kitkatt boot screen, but no. I guess all the wallpapers are burned into firmware?

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
My approtector that checks for my apo lock password every 30 min keeps asking randomely might need an apo update

furbymac

Reaction score
Very little apparently. I was hoping for at least new wallpapers and that red kitkatt boot screen, but no. I guess all the wallpapers are burned into firmware?

Go to about phone in your setting screen and tap where it says android 4.2.2 a bunch of times when the "s" shows up tap/swipe it a few times and enjoy :)

doogald

Reaction score
Is the very bottom supposed to show the wallpaper too (where the back, home, etc. buttons are) or is that fixed black?

That only happens with on-screen buttons, rather than the capacitive buttons on the Maxx. They will always have a black background.

The look was kept the same as Jellybean (as well as the dialer) at the request of Verizon. I assume to make it easier to support the phone. The list of new features is here: http://support.verizonwireless.com/dam/support/pdf/system_update/droid-ultra-maxx.pdf

In addition to that:

- there is a new setting for "home" if you have installed a third party launcher to make it easy to set the default launcher.

- there is a setting under "more" under wireless & networks to set the default SMS client

- if you have turned on NFC, there is a "tap and pay" setting that will enable tap and pay with Google Wallet

- there is a bug with the home key that makes a single tap of home act as a double-tap.

- you can now print from apps that support it, and there is a settings->print

- the camera has improvements. If you have tap to focus turned on, there is a new focus/exposure control that you can move around to set the focus point.

That's the main stuff I've noticed. Personally, I don't care about whether the status bar is transparent or black (black probably uses less power anyway), and the network icons are blue or white. Nothing makes one better than the other.