Any update?

debrad0307

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this has been posted before but I'm curious... is there any kind of time frame on the gingerbread OTA update for Verizon? Verizon is going to have a lot of PO'ed customers if they keep them waiting too long...

Tappin' away on my DROIDX

Beka27

Reaction score
This has been discussed ad nauseum. Going back 2-3 pages in this sub-forum, there are probably a dozen threads devoted to this topic.

We don't know. Rumor is/was May 26th, the official release date for the DX2... BUT the DX2 is no longer being released with GB.
So this begs the question: why would the "old" Droid X get the update before the new Droid X?
Seem counter-productive when all they REALLY want to do is sell NEW phones, NOT update what's already been bought and paid for.

So the answer is... as soon as today... or as far away as... never.

Best bet: root and snag a copy for yourself.

OP
debrad0307

debrad0307

Reaction score
Oh I'm on liberty GB I was just wondering..... well there goes my hopes on getting the Dx2. I won't even bother if its still on 2.2.

Beka27

Reaction score
Oh I'm on liberty GB I was just wondering..... well there goes my hopes on getting the Dx2. I won't even bother if its still on 2.2.

Oh yeah, then I wouldn't even worry about the OTA. Pretty much the only folks concerned about it are those who don't want to root for whatever reason.

As far as the DX2, lack of GB is just one reason to pass... IMO it's not enough of an upgrade over what we already have. Wait for something better.

I adore my DX. My next phone will have to literally BLOW MY SOCKS off my feet... Having an amazing phone has only made me pickier...

TC_Mits

Reaction score
So, I went back and looked at those old posts...

Glad I did, 'cuz I had in mind to wait for the GB OTA before rooting!
I'm getting a used stock DX this w/e.

IF and when the OTA arrives how would it affect my ability to root my stock DX?
Does the OTA for GB normally install automatically to a stock phone?
If so, can I do anything short of rooting to stop the OTA upgrade? I will root, but I'm a noob so I don't want to rush it.
Is there a simple root procedure (1 click or similar) that will work from a post OTA stock GB DX?

Oh yeah, then I wouldn't even worry about the OTA. Pretty much the only folks concerned about it are those who don't want to root for whatever reason.
So I found this site reviewing the droid x for some reason after all this time...

Motorola Droid X has rave reviews, Android OS, killer specs, and is free for new customers and upgrades | Video Gaming Pros

It mentions that the droid x is in india and that it has 2.3 available ota and that it will be available worldwide in a few days...
Hopefully this is true cuz I'm really eager to get GB.... But idk.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

If rumors are true, you will want the leaked one, not the OTA. OTA might not be able to be rooted, and if they change the boot loader so that you can never go back to stock, after rooting or installing a ROM, then you won't be able to roll back.

Frankly, the Droid X is obsolete, and isn't likely to see any more updates anyway, so the latest leaked and this OTA are probably the last significant update this phone will ever get as it is retired very shortly.

So why install an OTA, that will never be upgraded, and that may prevent you from ever rooting, ROMing or otherwise tweaking your phone, and that you won't be able to roll back and try the leaked version if you change your mind?

Go with the leaked, IMHO.

The phone is a year old, it's about to be replaced.
I'm getting a used stock DX this w/e.

IF and when the OTA arrives how would it affect my ability to root my stock DX?
Does the OTA for GB normally install automatically to a stock phone?
If so, can I do anything short of rooting to stop the OTA upgrade? I will root, but I'm a noob so I don't want to rush it.
Is there a simple root procedure (1 click or similar) that will work from a post OTA stock GB DX?

OP
debrad0307

debrad0307

Reaction score
Please stop making new threads about this already.

I clearly stated that there may have already been a post similar to mine. I apologize if you are tired of reading about the OTA update. You know what I do when I stumble upon multiple posts? I just go right down to the next post. Why even bother throwing on your remarks? I clearly made a mistake and posted something that has already been discussed. Trust me, I am not the first person to do it. I can assure you that you will find multiple posts in here everyday.

thinman72069

Reaction score
Don't sweat it. At least 80% of all posts are re-treads.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Draken

Reaction score
Yeah dont post comments that are useless... If you dont have anything to post relevant to the OP then dont.. AND i did learn something new in this thread, i didnt know that Droid X2 wasnt getting GB shipped.. So i have NO idea when GB is coming out now sadly... i hope soon..