Any tips to get the most out of Google Now?

prowler85

Reaction score
Installed Jelly Belly yesterday, and absolutely loving the buttery smoothness of JB right now. Played a little with Google Now, but doesn't seem like it does much unless I ask it questions. Are there any tips on getting the most out of Google Now? I set my work and home locations in Maps as a starter, but just wondering if anyone out there has any additional tips.

TIA

ntrddragn

Reaction score
i was wondering the same thing yesterday. LOL I was like, so whats the big deal? I have to ask it question and it up? Where is the widget? haha...i guess i should watch the video.

edit: just watch the video and im not that impress same as siri. asking question. I guess i have to play with more so it can automatically tells me traffic and weather and recommend food and cook for me. :D

Last edited:
OP
prowler85

prowler85

Reaction score
That's more or less my question. The video was impressive, and I've massively impressed my boss and co-workers.....but not really what I was trying to figure out. My understanding of it is that it provides info without being asked. So I was wondering if anyone had any tips to assist that process. Any way to let it know the things you are interested in so that it will provide them without being asked.

But thanks for the video!! I didn't know it was that impressive.

StupidGenius

Reaction score
My understanding is that it learns and will deliver more targeted information the more you use it. This is why it'll be more powerful than Siri because it won't have to be prompted for information it'll be readily available or inform you without asking. So over time it essentially becomes smarter.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
StupidGenius said:
My understanding is that it learns and will deliver more targeted information the more you use it. This is why it'll be more powerful than Siri because it won't have to be prompted for information it'll be readily available or inform you without asking. So over time it essentially becomes smarter.

How would it learn by me keep asking question? I was under the impression that it would constantly run like a widget and tells me the traffic etc...I guess I'm not using right. :/

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Yeah Google Now leaves me with questions sometimes as well. I haven't completely figured it out.

I can't figure out the sports cards for example. I was able to get it to display an MLS team, but MLB is a no go for me. I search for "when do the Washington Nationals play again", "what the score of the Nats last game", "set up a *censored* Washington Nationals card you silly Google Now"...nothing. I mean I get the results I was looking for, excluding the last one of course, but no card or notification (although they have been on break for a the past few days due to all star festivities, I did try back when they were still playing). I search for DC United once, and I have a DC United card, which figures cause I don't really follow soccer haha.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Just some advice, unless you have a backup app like SeekDroid, I wouldn't recommend putting your actual home location. I personally use the local mall as my "home" location.

As for getting most the most out of Google Now well I'm still figuring it out myself. That video posted Tradge is a good start though. I personally use mine to set reminders and all that.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
Just some advice, unless you have a backup app like SeekDroid, I wouldn't recommend putting your actual home location. I personally use the local mall as my "home" location.

it is because just in case i lose my phone and someone wont be able to know where i live? lucky i live in a condo complex and i didnt put the unit # down. :D but if i were to lose my phone, that would be my last concern. if someone wants to meet either my rifle, shotgun or 9mm they are more then welcome to. :biggrin: but i would be more concern about my gmail and other apps if some how they manage to unlock it.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
i started asking more question...i asked where is the nearest Italian restaurant it gave 'calling dominos pizza' LOL

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
You guys having issues with certain things not working (i.e. sports cards not showing), make sure you've got your history turned on within your google settings.

To do this, go to the google homepage and click your icon in the top right corner. Then select privacy then scroll down and select dashboard. Once in your dashboard, scroll all the way down to web history and make sure it's turned on.

Once you do this your sports cards will start working. Also, places that you search for on your browser will automatically show up in Google Now as navigation cards. For example, I just google searched (on my computer browser) the closest post office to me. I opened Google Now and it's showing me a map, with the eta and a nav button. Pretty cool.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Anyone else having trouble signing into Dashboard?

Mine just keeps saying "unavailable at this time" on every category. On Google Chrome, it does give me the option to "stop sync and delete data from Google"

edit: And yes I did try logging out and back in.

Last edited:

revelated

Reaction score

As for getting most the most out of Google Now well I'm still figuring it out myself. That video posted Tradge is a good start though. I personally use mine to set reminders and all that.

I don't get this.

My level of paranoia is such that I cannot sleep in a room with the door open or for which the door cannot be locked. Even if it is locked, I put something behind it that causes noise. I have door and window sensors that send alerts. I can't have a ground floor bedroom.

And through all of this, the LAST thing I'm worried about is some joker finding my phone and, of all things, using it to come to my house. First off, if they found the phone they'd probably be trying to sell it and second, my phone never leaves my sight anyway. But let's assume that it were left somewhere. If they managed to get past the PIN, they might very well use the location to find me to return the phone. As someone else said I'd be more concerned with them flipping through my email than anything else.

To the OP:

I use the feature daily. It not only learns from your search behaviors, but it will act based on how much you choose to give it in terms of data. The #1 piece of data that helps it is the full location setting. This gives you (and you can control this):
  • Commute times to and from work as well as the ability to one-touch navigate
  • Bus schedule information for bus stops near your current location, keyed into times that you would normally be commuting to or from a place
  • Restaurants near to your current location (this seems to trigger only after it sees that you have moved a certain distance from a stationary location)
  • Weather forecast data for your current location
For the most part it is a basic search system and nothing more. It just uses GPS to enhance the results and deliver them to you before you ask for them, and it does a pretty good job at that.

But it can also set alarms (and good ones, too), play artists' tracks (I found this lacking somewhat), compose text messages, and place calls.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I don't get this.

My level of paranoia is such that I cannot sleep in a room with the door open or for which the door cannot be locked. Even if it is locked, I put something behind it that causes noise. I have door and window sensors that send alerts. I can't have a ground floor bedroom.

And through all of this, the LAST thing I'm worried about is some joker finding my phone and, of all things, using it to come to my house. First off, if they found the phone they'd probably be trying to sell it and second, my phone never leaves my sight anyway. But let's assume that it were left somewhere. If they managed to get past the PIN, they might very well use the location to find me to return the phone. As someone else said I'd be more concerned with them flipping through my email than anything else.
Maybe you never heard of someone getting their house tracked back to through their phone, I've seen it happen to a friend. Yes phones are more valuable and sought after now and an easy resale, but you never know what information they'll grab before they flip it. If you don't feel the need to designate your home location to somewhere else then you don't have to, I'm just handing out some advice. As it has happened to someone I know, I definitely don't want to go through what they went. They took their phone, some things at home after staking it out and figuring out their schedule, and more importantly their peace of mind. Yes they had their phone deactivated and everything as soon as they found out they lost it, but it was too late by then, and this was all within a half hour span from the loss of the phone to reporting it lost. Also, many people don't use a PIN to protect their phone, I don't use one myself. For people who use their phone as much as I do, it's cumbersome to have to keep entering a 4-digit number just to check some quick things, a simple swipe to unlock is far easier for myself and many others.

Yes I'm concerned about them flipping through my e-mails, but I rather have them flip through my e-mail than go through ever single drawer or cabinet in my home.

I'm not trying to get into an argument with anyone, just handing out some advice. Whether anyone here decides to take that advice is up to them. I'd also recommend getting an app, such as SeekDroid, where you are given full control over your phone through your internet browser or text message (from another phone of course).