Any tips to get the most out of Google Now?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by prowler85, Jul 12, 2012.

1. prowler85

prowler85 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Installed Jelly Belly yesterday, and absolutely loving the buttery smoothness of JB right now. Played a little with Google Now, but doesn't seem like it does much unless I ask it questions. Are there any tips on getting the most out of Google Now? I set my work and home locations in Maps as a starter, but just wondering if anyone out there has any additional tips.

TIA

2. Tradge

Tradge New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    lol. have fun

3. ntrddragn

ntrddragn Member

Ratings:
    +6
    i was wondering the same thing yesterday. LOL I was like, so whats the big deal? I have to ask it question and it up? Where is the widget? haha...i guess i should watch the video.

edit: just watch the video and im not that impress same as siri. asking question. I guess i have to play with more so it can automatically tells me traffic and weather and recommend food and cook for me. :D

#3 ntrddragn, Jul 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  4. prowler85

prowler85 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    That's more or less my question. The video was impressive, and I've massively impressed my boss and co-workers.....but not really what I was trying to figure out. My understanding of it is that it provides info without being asked. So I was wondering if anyone had any tips to assist that process. Any way to let it know the things you are interested in so that it will provide them without being asked.

But thanks for the video!! I didn't know it was that impressive.

5. StupidGenius

StupidGenius Active Member

Ratings:
    +51
    My understanding is that it learns and will deliver more targeted information the more you use it. This is why it'll be more powerful than Siri because it won't have to be prompted for information it'll be readily available or inform you without asking. So over time it essentially becomes smarter.

6. ntrddragn

ntrddragn Member

Ratings:
    +6
    How would it learn by me keep asking question? I was under the impression that it would constantly run like a widget and tells me the traffic etc...I guess I'm not using right. :/

7. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Yeah Google Now leaves me with questions sometimes as well. I haven't completely figured it out.

I can't figure out the sports cards for example. I was able to get it to display an MLS team, but MLB is a no go for me. I search for "when do the Washington Nationals play again", "what the score of the Nats last game", "set up a *censored* Washington Nationals card you silly Google Now"...nothing. I mean I get the results I was looking for, excluding the last one of course, but no card or notification (although they have been on break for a the past few days due to all star festivities, I did try back when they were still playing). I search for DC United once, and I have a DC United card, which figures cause I don't really follow soccer haha.

8. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,629
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    Just some advice, unless you have a backup app like SeekDroid, I wouldn't recommend putting your actual home location. I personally use the local mall as my "home" location.

As for getting most the most out of Google Now well I'm still figuring it out myself. That video posted Tradge is a good start though. I personally use mine to set reminders and all that.

9. ntrddragn

ntrddragn Member

Ratings:
    +6
    it is because just in case i lose my phone and someone wont be able to know where i live? lucky i live in a condo complex and i didnt put the unit # down. :D but if i were to lose my phone, that would be my last concern. if someone wants to meet either my rifle, shotgun or 9mm they are more then welcome to. :biggrin: but i would be more concern about my gmail and other apps if some how they manage to unlock it.

10. ntrddragn

ntrddragn Member

Ratings:
    +6
    i started asking more question...i asked where is the nearest Italian restaurant it gave 'calling dominos pizza' LOL

11. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,629
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    That's a bit fancier than Olive Garden :D

12. sbenson

sbenson Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61
    You guys having issues with certain things not working (i.e. sports cards not showing), make sure you've got your history turned on within your google settings.

To do this, go to the google homepage and click your icon in the top right corner. Then select privacy then scroll down and select dashboard. Once in your dashboard, scroll all the way down to web history and make sure it's turned on.

Once you do this your sports cards will start working. Also, places that you search for on your browser will automatically show up in Google Now as navigation cards. For example, I just google searched (on my computer browser) the closest post office to me. I opened Google Now and it's showing me a map, with the eta and a nav button. Pretty cool.

Search tags for this page
get the most of google now

get the most out of google now

getting the most from google now

getting the most out of google now

google now faq

google now tips and tricks

google now tips tricks
how to get the most from google now
how to get the most of google now

how to get the most out of google now