Any talk about a Droid 5 coming out?

RaceRev

Reaction score
My D4 is having issues, if they don't introduce the D5 soon I will revert back to a simple flip phone. Motorola has a bad case of cranial anal inversion, by not responding to the multi-request of people for a top of the line, great processor, good camera, fast OS, with a slider keyboard. HELLO out there. We want a D5. Get you head out.

Carol_in_FL

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I just wanted to share this post I found on phonearena.com under "Is this the Motorola Droid 5?". It kind of gives a new perspective to all those new features that are coming out on the new phones and makes me feel better about buying a new battery for my D3 (so I can hopefully wait out the new D5 with specs like the Droid Maxx). -- 48. Simprocity 26 Aug 2013, 21:39 posted on 0 Posts: 1; Member since: 26 Aug 2013

Unfortunately, some of you have some sort of addiction or affliction to the latest gadget someone tells you is cool. However cool the gadget is, it doesn't make you cool! Some of you feel that if you don't have the latest fad device, you'll be left in some Purgatory of loneliness until your contract dictates you can leave and go to fad Heaven.

Others have a purpose for the phones they choose that diverts from the latest and greatest fad. It's called functionality.

In my case I chose a DROID 4 a couple years ago because of the keyboard and other important features. For example:

Usable screen real estate. Your Samsung GS4 may have a larger screen, but the on screen keyboard consumes a substantial amount. When performing remote control functions, the pop up on screen keyboard is annoying. If you are drafting business text and emails, you definately don't want to use an on screen keyboard or swype unless you want embarrasing unprofessional results.

Reception: I personally have had the opportunity to try many many makes and models of phones. Motorola reception is always best in bad areas. Nokia in my experience is second. Casio seems to do pretty well. The Samsung models are always bad. The GS3 is awful and the GS4 is improved, but not as good as those I have mentioned. iPhones, well, sorry Apple.

Voice quality: All Samsung GS have terrible voice quality. The GS4, again, is better than the 3, but not great. Speakerphones always seem to be best on PTT phones. Motorola makes PTT phones and always has good voice quality and speakerphones.

Build quality: Motorola makes tough phones. I have seen more broken Samsung GS3/4s. Can anyone say cheap plastic? Come on Samsung!

Battery life: Motorola has great battery life when comparing to other phones released in the same time period. After all, what good is a wireless phone that is dead or tethered to a charger.

If you want to get work done, try a DROID with a keyboard. If you have time in your life to NFC playlists, you probably could use a job, some exercise or could help someone by donating time to the charity of your choice. If you are worried you might miss out on a feature you won't use, get the loaded GS4 (and be sure to buy a protective case or insurance). If you are/were a C or lower student, save yourself all the Android complexity (power) and buy an iPhone.

shanook

Reaction score
Well fellas. Looks like I'm making the jump. It's between the Droid Maxx or the Moto X for me. I've been using my D4 exclusively with the touch screen to see if I can deal. It's definitely not as nice as the KB but it's not horrible. And going from the D4 screen to my wife's razr M was better still.

It's kind of liberating in a way. You don't feel like you're on an arctic outpost and you've just heard they're not going to get food anymore until the spring. Maybe a bit dramatic but it sure seems like the physical KB users are on an island while everyone else is partying at the pool.

My question is which one? I was pretty sure I was going Moto X but then started thinking Droid Maxx and that's where I'm leaning now. The hardware is super nice and the google influence on the software is a major step in the right direction - very transparent iteration of android and the touchless stuff is pretty slick indeed, if not a little too Siri-ish.

What would ya'll do if you ever were to make the jump?

That's weird. You must go to some strange parties. My droid 4 gets a lot of attention and it's always hands on. I've converted a lot of iphone users to the android world. And I usually tell them to get a galaxy s4 because the droid 4 is already 2 years old. But for a 2 year old phone, this thing is still top of the line. I feel like it still out performs the iphone 5. Unless my friends phones suck.

But I'm definitely not on my own island. You need to get out more bro.

jmagi

Reaction score
d4 is rare and definitely has everyone asking 'what kind of phone is that' when they see it. i myself converted quite a few iphone users. pretty much the entire company i work for lol.

as far as alternatives, im down to just get some more d4s and store them for when this one starts going. if i ever have to change fones ill most definitely go with something that i can use the bluetooth keyboard cases with. meantime im monitoring china. hoping to see some qwerty sliders coming out of china, which id be very.. very interested in.

Sent from my DROID4 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Carol_in_FL

Reaction score
Carol in FL
Thank you for your post, getting discouraged about no news, your post offers some logical sound advice for waiting.http://www.droidforums.net/forum/images/smilies/dancingDroid.gif
Yes, I'm waiting TOO, somewhat impatiently, especially with all the new phones coming out. If you want to get a quick picture out of what's out there, phonearena.com does have a section on "New Phones" where there are specs, hands-on videos, head-to-head comparisons, and most interestingly forum-like comments. No "Droid 5" yet, but I keep looking! Also, when looking at the hands-on video for the new Note 3 they had taken the back off and bent it and it looks like really flimsy plastic -- not anywhere as sturdy as the back on my Droid 3. I even wonder if the Note 3 would break just with me just throwing it in my pocketbook. I don't know, it seems like they almost want it to break! Come on Motorola, get your act together and give us a high end Droid 5 with a removable battery, SD slot, a bigger screen would be nice, 13 MP camera, fast quad processor AND A SLIDER KEYBOARD! And, get it on the market by say November 15th so it can compete with the big "Black Friday" and "Christmas" electronics sales. i.e., It has to be competitive with the Samsung Galaxy SG4 and Note 3 and the new phone expected from Sony, etc., etc., but WITH THE KEYBOARD IT WILL BE BETTER!! This would make it attractive to all former Droid 1 - 4 owners and also to a lot of business customers.

audinutt

Reaction score
i am about to give up on the droid 5, i have had every moto droid except the 3, droid 1 (og), 2global, d4 and seriously looking at the note 2 now..

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

RaceRev

Reaction score
I really don't like the on screen excuse for a keyboard, they taunt a larger screen but it's half gone when you open the keyboard. For people with less than perfect eyesight, it becomes almost impossible to see what you are doing. My fingers do not operate a screen keyboard well but works perfect with my slide out keyboard that has more functions without switching screens for a full keyboard. Come on Motorola and Verizon get your act together and give the people what they want and not what you want to give them. Your getting too Obama Like and remember the lessons from Ayn Rand in Atlas Shrugged, how about being a "Producer" not a milk toast follower.

shanook

Reaction score
I really don't like the on screen excuse for a keyboard, they taunt a larger screen but it's half gone when you open the keyboard. For people with less than perfect eyesight, it becomes almost impossible to see what you are doing. My fingers do not operate a screen keyboard well but works perfect with my slide out keyboard that has more functions without switching screens for a full keyboard. Come on Motorola and Verizon get your act together and give the people what they want and not what you want to give them. Your getting too Obama Like and remember the lessons from Ayn Rand in Atlas Shrugged, how about being a "Producer" not a milk toast follower.

What the f..... let's keep politics out of this.

But seriously qwerty keyboard is way more functional in every way possible

Shelly79

Reaction score
Motorola has the perfect focus group with all of us. I can already see the commercial, since they have a lot of things we hate about the full touch screen. Half of the screen gets covered, so many typos means slow touch typing, etc etc...its the perfect sales pitch and no one has put all of this on their commercials. I know so many people who like their iphones because they are what everyone has, but hate the touch screens... Im sure many would go come back to slider phones if they made them with better specs. These companies just have no idea and just want to copy each other! I need my sliders back!!!

NOVICE

Reaction score
I know that touch screens aren't for everybody. I formerly thought that as well. But after adapting to SwiftKey I found that the self-correcting/predictive text capabilities permit an inferior typist such as myself to work pretty fast.

RaceRev

Reaction score
Shelly79 - Amen, but do they listen? My wife has another brand with a slider keyboard and uses the touch screen (because she doesn't have time to slide it out???) however she complains alot about the small screen that she can't see what she is doing, and that corrections are so hard to make, I will take her phone, slide out the keyboard, turn it sideways and walla she can see and use back arrows to make corrections. she says, "I guess that is better, I just get in a hurry". But is being in a hurry worth the frustration of a screen keyboard, when it takes less than one second to slide out the keyboard? To each their own, however I want my slider keyboard and a phone with great spec's.

Carol_in_FL

Reaction score
I can't believe it! I just went over to the Dark Side and ordered a Galaxy Note 3 from Verizon's website. I just went to the upgrade area to see what it would cost and I was able to pre-order one for $299 +30 upgrade but I got to keep my existing unlimited data plan so I went for it. Hope I'm able to type on the virtual keyboard -- but I think it'll be good because of the screen size and the stylus. Wish me luck! I really wanted to wait for the Droid 5, but with the Note 3 specs, this deal was too good to pass up.

audinutt

Reaction score
I gave up waiting for Motorola to get their act together and release another keyboard phone. .. bought a note 2 outright and kept my unlimited data

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4