Any rooted, non-rom users showing battery life improvements?

Staveandor

Reaction score
Im wanting to root, getting up the nerve to attempt it. I rooted my OG Droid and used set cpu profiles and drastically improved battery life with profiles and a cool running kernel.

I'm wondering if rooting this early in the game is worth it, just for underclocking profiles to attempt to increase battery life?

hogowner

Reaction score
Im wanting to root, getting up the nerve to attempt it. I rooted my OG Droid and used set cpu profiles and drastically improved battery life with profiles and a cool running kernel.

I'm wondering if rooting this early in the game is worth it, just for underclocking profiles to attempt to increase battery life?

I am rooted....do not have a custom rom....and ANYTIME is always good to root your phone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_ banana:

jskyler91

Reaction score

I have the stock rom rooted and I am getting 23 + hours of battery life. I have my rom underclocked to 368 when the screen if off and at 1024 when on. I also turn off the data when I am not using it or in a meeting /class (student at UC berkeley). This works greatly for me seeing as how I can't check my messages in class/ meetings anyways. I just flashed the 1500 mghz kernal and it flys. I underclock it the same when the screen is off and I still get good battery life(going on 8 hrs at 50% right now). I still need more time to test this however and I have been using the browser more now because I love the speed.

NOTE: If you do use the 1.5 ghz kernal only overclock it to 1497 or else your phone will reboot after phone calls. No idea why because it runs smooth the rest of the time even when multitasking and playing games, but ya.

Last edited:

jason6g

Reaction score
removing all the bloatware and using setcpu to underclock it when the screen is off has given me a noticably longer day outta my phone. did not quantify it, but i normally had to charge around 3pm, now im making it all the way to bed time and still having 60% battery left

rooting it isint that hard either... i HIGHLY recommend it!!!

moosez3

Reaction score
Alright that does it, I guess Im going to have to root it this weekend...

usicus

Reaction score
Why wait? Lol

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

moosez3

Reaction score
Why wait? Lol

If this is directed at me, I have everything set up perfectly on my phone all my fb contacts and google contacts are synced, all of my widgets and everything is perfect, which literally took a week. The idea of doing that all over again seems daunting. Although Rooting is worth it… º–º

givmedew

Reaction score
I am rooted and also running perfect storm rom 1.0

I feel the rom enhanced my battery life however thats not for sure.

I know that set cpu increased my battery life by setting it to have the lowest CPU frequency while the screen was off.

Now one thing that I should note. I think it may be possible that sometimes but not often this causes music skipping issues while streaming high quality (pandora, lastfm, slacker, etc) and using nav at the same exact time but I'm not sure. To me that sounds like a lot of work for a less than droid eris clock speed however the eris was capable of doing those 2 things together LOL. It could just be handoff issues with the 3g 4g while driving.

Anyways I would highly recommend that trick for now. HTC has to fix whatever is causing that because doing that will NOT increase the battery life on my Re-Engineered Rom Incredible.

Reaction score
im running ondemand at 1401/368 with the 2750 battery and am officially done worrying about making it through a day...i had to leave it on for a little bit more than 2 full days to get down past 10% with wifi on most of the time...streaming pandora non-stop on 3g still gives me 10-12+ hours of battery life and i never stream it constantly for that long anyway...

mikezq8ss

Reaction score
*snip*
I know that set cpu increased my battery life by setting it to have the lowest CPU frequency while the screen was off.

Now one thing that I should note. I think it may be possible that sometimes but not often this causes music skipping issues while streaming high quality (pandora, lastfm, slacker, etc) and using nav at the same exact time but I'm not sure. To me that sounds like a lot of work for a less than droid eris clock speed however the eris was capable of doing those 2 things together LOL.
*snip*

this was my one question about rooting and then underclocking when the screen is off, if you turn the speed down when the screen is off, would satellite radio or Pandora type music streaming suffer?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

nateccnn

Reaction score
Why wait? Lol

If this is directed at me, I have everything set up perfectly on my phone all my fb contacts and google contacts are synced, all of my widgets and everything is perfect, which literally took a week. The idea of doing that all over again seems daunting. Although Rooting is worth it… º–º

Ha! I've rooted and installed so many roms and kernels I can now set my phone settings with my eyes shut in about 15 minutes. But I get what you're saying. It's a hassle.

Nate

sent from my thunderbolt using touch input do prone to typing errors.

moosez3

Reaction score
*snip*

Now one thing that I should note. I think it may be possible that sometimes but not often this causes music skipping issues while streaming high quality (pandora, lastfm, slacker, etc) and using nav at the same exact time but I'm not sure. To me that sounds like a lot of work for a less than droid eris clock speed however the eris was capable of doing those 2 things together LOL.
*snip*

this was my one question about rooting and then underclocking when the screen is off, if you turn the speed down when the screen is off, would satellite radio or Pandora type music streaming suffer?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Yeah that is a concern, b/c I do not have these problems now, and I did not have these problems with my OC'd Droid :/

Why wait? Lol

Ha! I've rooted and installed so many roms and kernels I can now set my phone settings with my eyes shut in about 15 minutes. But I get what you're saying. It's a hassle.

Nate

sent from my thunderbolt using touch input do prone to typing errors.

Yeah with my droid using backup programs such as Ti, miui, lp backup helped, but starting from scratch is annoying especially since I am too ADD to just sit there for 30 mins to get everything set up the way I want... the real motivation will be when "HotSpot" is no longer free lol!

Leviathan205

Reaction score
Battery has been much better today after I rooted it. Beforehand, I had to charge the d*mn thing 3 times a day to make it through.

After rooting, I have had it unplugged for almost 12 hours and used moderately...1 hour of music, 30 minutes of streaming video, intermittent checking of messages, and about 30 minutes of browsing...battery is currently at 10%. I am in an LTE area, FYI.

krusty46

Reaction score
I might be the exception but battery life is actually worse after rooting. I was maybe 10-12 hours before and about 8-10 now.

Everything is set up exactly the same. Not saying I regret rooting because their are other benefits, but I'm back to having it on the charger atleast once at some point in the day.
Still using stock ROM and I do use SetCPU and removed all bloatware.