Any reason to get a different DROID phone over the DROID X ???

dietche

Reaction score
The best way for us to help you is if you could specify what you want to do with your phone.

What features, activities, and apps are most important to you? From there, it's a simple matter to guide you.

Also, what budget do you have, and what provider will you be using?

Do you want a contract or own the phone outright?

How important is video, and what format video do you wish? Some phones come with DIVX support built in, and others can't do it at all, for example.

Do you want to take pictures or videos?
Do you want to display them on a bigscreen?

Do you want to game? 3d or 2d? Puzzles or action? Ex. some phones have awesome 3d chips but suck completely for crossword puzzles. Maybe a bad example but you get my meaning I'm sure.

Do you want to have a lot of social features? Twitter, Myspace, texting, blogging, etc... need one kinda phone and like for myself, I'd hate those kinda phones (e.g. Blur) since I do entirely different things and wouldn't want to have to hack my phone just to remove that junk.

Planning on hacking it? Some have locked bootloaders which makes true customzation a hit/miss proposition right now.

Size? Want to carry in a pocket or planning on using a beltclip? Watching videos on youtube would require one size device, but hiking or jogging would require another, smaller, ruggedized type.

As you may guess by now, there are sooooooo many options. This is a very good thing as we aren't bound to a couple models that can't be personalized to our individual tastes (I'm looking at you iNotPhone! I'd like to see a standard iPhone make it through a day with my stepdad working on cranes, HAH!)

Be well, hope this helps. I have to go and may not be able to reply back to this post again for several days, so please answer the above questions so my fellow Droidites can help you better.
--Dietche

donerico

Reaction score
Anymore opinions on the fascinate?

I don't like it. Lots bloat-ware, bing, plastic. Nice hardware specs but not that much better than the X or D2 in that respect. I would go with one of the motorolas depending on whether I rather have a bigger screen or a keyboard.
You need to see them all and then decide, it is a pretty personal choice, maybe you do like the Incredible or Fascinate more than the motos.

tommyz

Reaction score
I would go with the X. I have the Droid 1 and the only time I used the keyboard was when I first got the phone. I have Swype on the phone and that is the only keyboard I use now.

To me the physical keyboard just adds weight and make it a little more bulky.

xliderider

Reaction score
Droid X is best!

No real keyboard

I purchased the original Droid because I "needed" a physical keyboard. Coming from Blackberry, I believed this to be true. However, after using the virtual keyboard on the Droid, I found myself using the slide out physical keyboard less and less, until I never use it now.

The X has a large form factor with the big screen, but it is also very thin because it doesn't have a physical keyboard like the Droid 2.

Try the Droid X and the Samsung Fascinate in the store tonight.

You will find the Fascinate to be very nice as far as form factor and the way it just feels right in your hand. It is made of plastic, but it doesn't feel cheap at all. It is very thin, and the 4 inch screen size is right between the 3.7 inch screen of the Droid Incredible/Droid 2 and the 4.3 inch screen of the Droid X.

The X feels more industrial due to the sharp angles and metal construction, but again, it is pretty thin and light for the screen size.

The top 2 devices on Verizon now are the X and Fascinate. Both are good devices, but the edge goes to the Fascinate for hardware specifications (Processor, GPU for gaming, handles more video file formats, excellent audio out through headphone jack). If you are in to customizing your devices, the clear edge goes to the Fascinate because it does not have a locked bootloader like the Moto Droid X/Droid 2.

I would go with the X. I have the Droid 1 and the only time I used the keyboard was when I first got the phone. I have Swype on the phone and that is the only keyboard I use now.

For me, this is how I feel as I don't use the physical keyboard on my Droid 1. I am completely OK with having an all touch device now.

OP
M

Mfusick

Reaction score

what is Swype ??

Is that come with phone or aftermarket?

an accessory or program?

OP
M

Mfusick

Reaction score
is the facinate really as good as the droid X?

xliderider

Reaction score

what is Swype ??

Is that come with phone or aftermarket?

an accessory or program?

It is the default keyboard on the X and Fascinate. Search YouTube for videos of Swype in action. You can also switch to the Android keyboard if you prefer not to use Swype.

OP
M

Mfusick

Reaction score
Thanks..

now I gotta check out facsinate now... since this is new to me.

wondering if it is better than the X or not?

xliderider

Reaction score

In many ways it is better. ;)

I had a Fascinate for about a week, but I exchanged it for a Droid X (still waiting for it).

If I had a chance, I think I would have held off on my decision to exchange the Fascinate for the X, until it was closer to the 30 day mark. I mistakenly thought the Fascinate wasn't getting good reception because of the way Samsung has the signal strength reported on the Fascinate. The Fascinate in real world use though does fine and is not dropping calls. However, the X has one of, if not the best, radios for cellular reception, of any current Verizon phone. If you live or work in areas with low signal, the X may be the device for you.

OP
M

Mfusick

Reaction score

In many ways it is better. ;)

I had a Fascinate for about a week, but I exchanged it for a Droid X (still waiting for it).

If I had a chance, I think I would have held off on my decision to exchange the Fascinate for the X, until it was closer to the 30 day mark. I mistakenly thought the Fascinate wasn't getting good reception because of the way Samsung has the signal strength reported on the Fascinate. The Fascinate in real world use though does fine and is not dropping calls. However, the X has one of, if not the best, radios for cellular reception, of any current Verizon phone. If you live or work in areas with low signal, the X may be the device for you.

so why the switch if it was so good?