Any real cons of filling your SD to max?

qwiksilver711

Reaction score
Over the past few days I have been filling up my SD card with a ton of stuff. I have alot of stuff I use on my phone like music, and a few images of my phone with different configurations, but have also been using it as a flash drive. Well now I'm almost at max capacity and have half a gig left.

Is there any downside to putting even more stuff on it? How much room do my apps need to put stuff on it?

Guchi

Reaction score
with the exception of a few games no apps that i know of even use sdcard storage space. the downside would be you dont have room for anything else i guess......

Droidfish

Reaction score
I use mine to browse and download a lot of stuff. mostly .apk files, mm themes, and even full roms as i endlessly tweak my phone so I definitely nneed some room to play.i periodically clean house and generally keep about 5 gigs free and have plenty of music to keep me entertained.

Reaction score
You don't need to sweat about slowing your phone down due to a nearly full SD card. Its not like the HD on a computer.. yes, it is "storage space", but the whole system is different as to how it is able to access your "storage space"..

Think of it like this.. lets say you are doing you own taxes.. You have an assistant who's job it is to find specific reciepts, forms and other items you request. You keep all these things in you "storage space".. You give your assistant the key and a list of "needed items".

Scenario 1, (your computer).. the assistant opens the door to find 1 huge box with everything you have saved in it.. so he starts digging through all that crap just to find a few specific items... that takes a lot of time..

Scenario 2, (your DROID).. same list as before.. this time opens door to find a bunch of little boxes with labels listing all of the contents of that box... Here the job goes much faster and more efficient... and so does your job of doing your taxes..
And that right there is 1 big reason computers are going to "solid state" drives... they are in essence like GIANT SD cards.. much faster to access..
I know that was a " long-winded" answer, but I just couldn't help myself... I haven't worked on computers since October.. and did comp. service and repair + phone support for several years.. just got used to trying to use easy to understand analogies.. but I do hope that helped..

OP
Q

qwiksilver711

Reaction score
Wow man, that really did help explain things to me, I'm doing my best to understand android, but being a windows user i'm so used to inefficient protocols. I am just waiting for dell to put out an Android pc so I can buy that and rid myself of windows completely.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow man, that really did help explain things to me, I'm doing my best to understand android, but being a windows user i'm so used to inefficient protocols. I am just waiting for dell to put out an Android pc so I can buy that and rid myself of windows completely.

Hmmmm...an android platform pc....never thought of that.

OP
Q

qwiksilver711

Reaction score
They're out there hook, a few companies sell em right now, I just wait for dell because I get a decent discount from my work for em, plus they take it out for me pre tax, so its cheaper in the long run to buy a dell

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
It will slow down your phone, yes, but not in the typical fashion. Android checks the SD card for errors every time its mounted, which means on reboot or unmounted from a computer. During that time, its inaccessible, and some widgets like Beautiful Widget get a little....funky until the check is over.

Normally the check is quite quick...until the card starts getting full. Then it takes longer...and longer....and longer....

Im sitting at about 5-7 seconds a check right now. Its annoying.

slinky

Reaction score
Thansk for the explanation adrynalyne - it's happening to me too. Ridiculous.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Im considering a Class 6 card, to see if remedies the problem.