Any problems with playing games?

akhi216

Reaction score
Does the Razr have any problems playing games? I was wondering because I'm considering getting a Razr and I'm worried about the aging GPU.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry. The SGX 540 GPU is plenty powerful, and it should have excellent ICS support, as the GNex also uses the OMAP4 chipset and had the same SGX 540 GPU.

I wouldn't call it an aging GPU considering Google's flagship device uses it.

EDIT: Actually, it should perform pretty much on par with your Droid 3 as far as gaming goes. So you should already have a pretty good idea. A Razr and a Droid 3 run on the same platform, the Razr just adds 200MHz CPU speed and a LTE radio while omitting the keyboard and GSM capabilities.

Last edited:
OP
A

akhi216

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry. The SGX 540 GPU is plenty powerful, and it should have excellent ICS support, as the GNex also uses the OMAP4 chipset and had the same SGX 540 GPU.

I wouldn't call it an aging GPU considering Google's flagship device uses it.

EDIT: Actually, it should perform pretty much on par with your Droid 3 as far as gaming goes. So you should already have a pretty good idea. A Razr and a Droid 3 run on the same platform, the Razr just adds 200MHz CPU speed and a LTE radio while omitting the keyboard and GSM capabilities.

On the aging GPU, Google's formula for Nexus phones isn't cutting edge technology.

I was actually wondering does the 200 MHz increase in CPU speed or the extra 512 MB of RAM (or both) make a difference when playing intense games. Everytime I play those games on my Droid 3 they render the phone unusable requiring a battery pull after playing for more than twenty minutes.

tuffD1

Reaction score
If your gonna play a game like "OverKill", you should be fine. My D1 bricked during the load screen. lmao!

Sent from my ProjElite Droid¹

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
On the aging GPU, Google's formula for Nexus phones isn't cutting edge technology.

I was actually wondering does the 200 MHz increase in CPU speed or the extra 512 MB of RAM (or both) make a difference when playing intense games. Everytime I play those games on my Droid 3 they render the phone unusable requiring a battery pull after playing for more than twenty minutes.

Well, the 200MHz CPU speed won't make a whole lot of difference. But depending on the game, and the RAM useage, the additional 512MB could make a big difference; and sometimes even mean the difference between a game working and not working. I apologize, as I had forgotten that the D3 has 1/2 the RAM of the Razr/Bionic.