Any other car holders better?

DroidXer

Reaction score
I don't want the moto dock. I just want the DX to not sit in my center console. I already have a car charger. I was thinking about something that would attach to the right side of my console, if that makes sense...to the right of my shifter on the plastic or something.

Droid X Case

Reaction score
I don't want the moto dock. I just want the DX to not sit in my center console. I already have a car charger. I was thinking about something that would attach to the right side of my console, if that makes sense...to the right of my shifter on the plastic or something.

Hum, well I'll tell you why that may not be such a great idea, or atleast from a manufacturing point of view... Most people who use their phones for GPS want the display near their view of the road, this makes it alot easier to navigate. The reason behind that is that since the screen is already in your field of view your eyes dont have to hunt for the screen of the phone which adds valuable time that your eyes are off the road. Also if its on the dash your eyes can passively scan the road while looking at the device making it much more safer then looking down. Since most consumers like the dash mounts manufacturers have focused on that instead.

However since I was making my own stand I researched hundreds of ideas and patents for this device. Some of note is Belkin's cigarette lighter stand which has a bendy arm that can move to whatever position you'd like, and a couple cup holder stands, even one thats from an infomercial.

Any particular reason you want the phone stashed in the dash?

OP
D

DroidXer

Reaction score
I don't use it whatsoever for navigation, I have built in navigation in my car. and the moto dock gets crap reviews to boot. furthermore, in super hot climates like where I live, suction cups NEVER stay attached to the glass, especially in the summer. The heat is so heavy here it will actually melt or weaken plastic attached to the windshield, which means I'd have to put it up and take it down every day.

If I attach it to the side of my console, I can actually attach it with either double sided tape or screw it in with tiny screws that would be nearly unnoticiable if I decided to sell it.

I just want a place to put the phone when I'm driving that's not in my pocket. The phone is too tall for the cup holders as it jiggles around, and under my radio but behind the shifter is difficult to get to because the shifter is in the way. Plus my view of the phone is partially obscured (if I was to get a call or something).

I just want to be able to plug the phone into the charger (another issue with putting it in the cup holders and other places is the location of the charging cable hookup) and then set it in a cradle or something just to the right of my shifter.

Droid X Case

Reaction score
Ah, another benefit to my car dock is discovered! NO SUCTION CUPS! Anyway, have you thought of a universal vent holder?

OP
D

DroidXer

Reaction score
Not even remotely interested. Even on a regular phone those things flop around, let alone a bigger Droid X. Plus most of my vents are odd shaped circular vents.

liferefugee

Reaction score
Check out the thread in general for a mount that may work for you. Another option, that I use is one that uses a beanbag base...may work for you as well.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk