Any news on the apparent botched 2.2 OTA update?

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
So our Droid Xs have had the official 2.2 OTA for 2 weeks now.
I've read alot of mixed reviews from complete satisfaction to horror stories involving the infamous bootloop (regardless of being rooted or not).
I've been searching around the web for any news about Motorola/VZW doing another round of updates but have come up relatively empty.
I've read about the messaging fix that is known by Moto, but is there any other news about fixing any other issues?
Not sure if the OTA was pulled because of the problems?!?! Or has everyone received the update now? Or?

Just curious.
My update was rather successful, but I do still have several of the bugs noted by many others.
Wondering if anyone has heard/read of anything thats being dealt with regarding our phones.

stryguy

Reaction score
I'm beginning to feel like our phones are the forgotten about redheaded stepchild of moto.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let me tell you what my understanding is. The problem was in distribution, and the phones getting locked in boot loop. Verizon did recognize this issue and said a fix would be applied. I don't think anymore Droid X's are now experiencing the boot loop upon receipt of the OTA, I could be wrong.

Now for the other "issues." The majority of people did not have problems with the update. It only looks bad because people who do have issues are vocal. Not to many people jump on the internet and say, "Got my update, love it." There are a few but that's very rare. So you see a lot of complaints.

IMHO most of the complaints are quite simple. User error, or not understanding what to do if you do have an issue with an update. For example all these people complaining about their phone running slow, the update was sucking up their battery, a simple factory data reset would clear that up for 90% of the people having issues with it.

My numbers are not scientifically based, they are rounded out to what I believe I see here in this forum. Now I'm not saying everybody fell into the category of "user error/lack of knowledge," some had genuine issues that could not be figured out.

I have said this many times before there are different stages we all go through when an update occurs. 1. Anticpation. 2. Joy of receiving the update followed quickly by 3. Complaints about the update. Every update I've seen come out over the last two years in dealing with smart phones has the same characteristics.

Right now we are all settling into the "acceptance" stage (#4). Complaints are winding down and most people are moving on to other topics in the forum. When Gingerbread hits, we will all go through this again.

If you look at the amount of complaints there were on 2.1 you'd see what I was getting at. You would have thought everybody hated it but that just wasn't so. Same thing when we went for 2.0 to 2.0.1. And they both went through the same cycle. This applies especially to the D1, but the X is coming around.

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Let me tell you what my understanding is. The problem was in distribution, and the phones getting locked in boot loop. Verizon did recognize this issue and said a fix would be applied. I don't think anymore Droid X's are now experiencing the boot loop upon receipt of the OTA, I could be wrong.

Now for the other "issues." The majority of people did not have problems with the update. It only looks bad because people who do have issues are vocal. Not to many people jump on the internet and say, "Got my update, love it." There are a few but that's very rare. So you see a lot of complaints.

IMHO most of the complaints are quite simple. User error, or not understanding what to do if you do have an issue with an update. For example all these people complaining about their phone running slow, the update was sucking up their battery, a simple factory data reset would clear that up for 90% of the people having issues with it.

My numbers are not scientifically based, they are rounded out to what I believe I see here in this forum. Now I'm not saying everybody fell into the category of "user error/lack of knowledge," some had genuine issues that could not be figured out.

I have said this many times before there are different stages we all go through when an update occurs. 1. Anticpation. 2. Joy of receiving the update followed quickly by 3. Complaints about the update. Every update I've seen come out over the last two years in dealing with smart phones has the same characteristics.

Right now we are all settling into the "acceptance" stage (#4). Complaints are winding down and most people are moving on to other topics in the forum. When Gingerbread hits, we will all go through this again.

If you look at the amount of complaints there were on 2.1 you'd see what I was getting at. You would have thought everybody hated it but that just wasn't so. Same thing when we went for 2.0 to 2.0.1. And they both went through the same cycle. This applies especially to the D1, but the X is coming around.

Normally I would agree with you... however; I'm not a noob or an idiot and to be honest, the OTA is full of bugs. Ive tried every solution to work around the issues I'm having and still haven't solved them. See the list below.

1. Music Player - Its broken. Loses Media, Once you switch orientation a few times, it will completely bug out, freeze the phone, and loop audio. Requires a battery pull.

2. Orientation - I calibrated the compass 3 times and its still fubar'd. I take my phone out of my pocket, unlock it, and its upside down. I have to jiggle the phone around to fix it. Its a minor annoyance, but an annoyance non the less.

3. Battery Manager - It works when it wants to, shouldn't have to power cycle my phone every time I want to check power consumption.

4. Performance - Froyo runs exactly the same for me as 2.1 did. I'm deodexed, debloated, themed, etc. all the same stuff I did on 2.1, yet I dont see any of this speed improvement. Actually, if anything, it might be slightly slower.

5. Sound issues - Half the time I get a text, I have no notification sounds. Tried everything to fix it, used default tones, zedge tones, turned vibrate on/off, set notification volume separate, etc.

Those are the major issues I'm having. The only real benefits I got out of Froyo are Flash support, Battery life, and the ability to say I'm on Froyo lol.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Normally I would agree with you... however; I'm not a noob or an idiot and to be honest, the OTA is full of bugs. Ive tried every solution to work around the issues I'm having and still haven't solved them. See the list below.

1. Music Player - Its broken. Loses Media, Once you switch orientation a few times, it will completely bug out, freeze the phone, and loop audio. Requires a battery pull.

2. Orientation - I calibrated the compass 3 times and its still fubar'd. I take my phone out of my pocket, unlock it, and its upside down. I have to jiggle the phone around to fix it. Its a minor annoyance, but an annoyance non the less.

3. Battery Manager - It works when it wants to, shouldn't have to power cycle my phone every time I want to check power consumption.

4. Performance - Froyo runs exactly the same for me as 2.1 did. I'm deodexed, debloated, themed, etc. all the same stuff I did on 2.1, yet I dont see any of this speed improvement. Actually, if anything, it might be slightly slower.

5. Sound issues - Half the time I get a text, I have no notification sounds. Tried everything to fix it, used default tones, zedge tones, turned vibrate on/off, set notification volume separate, etc.

Those are the major issues I'm having. The only real benefits I got out of Froyo are Flash support, Battery life, and the ability to say I'm on Froyo lol.

If I were having these issues I'd unroot, do a factory hard reset. If that did not solve the problems (and it probably won't as you've probably already done a reset), I'd then take it to Verizon to have the 2.2 reflashed. Froyo is running, and running much faster and smoother, than 2.1 on millions of phones. If yours isn't then you should force Verizon to fix it or replace it.

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com

If I were having these issues I'd unroot, do a factory hard reset. If that did not solve the problems (and it probably won't as you've probably already done a reset), I'd then take it to Verizon to have the 2.2 reflashed. Froyo is running, and running much faster and smoother, than 2.1 on millions of phones. If yours isn't then you should force Verizon to fix it or replace it.

Ya, I think I'm gonna have to do that. I was waiting for word on Verizon techs getting the real 2.2 sbf. Haven t heard much about it. Also, I tried 2 factory resets, still no change. Seems like a lot of people have the SMS/Music issues though. The reset I'm not so sure of.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
im pretty sure they have the 2.2 sbf at VZW so if you really want u could take it in and have them do the fresh install or just call and tell them youre having problems and a factory reset didnt work and what your options are.

i did a factory reset on my OTA and it seemed to clear up a lot of issues for me. granted i still have some issues with the stock music player (i just use a diff one) and sometimes the ringtones, but its really not that big of a deal. No problems with DoubleTwist freezing up when playing music so far so maybe thats worth trying out..

If ANYONE is still having the texting problems; ie, texts are out of order or showing the wrong time, download chompsms. i used handcent FOREVER and i made the switch since chomp seemed to fix what the stock one couldnt. didnt even have to change any settings.

Im still seeing people having problems upgrading to 2.2 with it getting stuck at the M logo or what not, but a lot of the time theres some user error involved in this. Not saying always, but it definitely plays a part with the issues.

UNROOT before taking the 2.2 if you want to reroot! its such a mess trying to figure out what was left and what was erased by the OTA update that itd just be a whole hell of a lot simpler to unroot when on 2.1. Ughh

garath

Reaction score
im pretty sure they have the 2.2 sbf at VZW so if you really want u could take it in and have them do the fresh install or just call and tell them youre having problems and a factory reset didnt work and what your options are.

i did a factory reset on my OTA and it seemed to clear up a lot of issues for me. granted i still have some issues with the stock music player (i just use a diff one) and sometimes the ringtones, but its really not that big of a deal. No problems with DoubleTwist freezing up when playing music so far so maybe thats worth trying out..

If ANYONE is still having the texting problems; ie, texts are out of order or showing the wrong time, download chompsms. i used handcent FOREVER and i made the switch since chomp seemed to fix what the stock one couldnt. didnt even have to change any settings.

Im still seeing people having problems upgrading to 2.2 with it getting stuck at the M logo or what not, but a lot of the time theres some user error involved in this. Not saying always, but it definitely plays a part with the issues.

UNROOT before taking the 2.2 if you want to reroot! its such a mess trying to figure out what was left and what was erased by the OTA update that itd just be a whole hell of a lot simpler to unroot when on 2.1. Ughh

Handcent's latest update also fixed the timestamp issue.

Riddlin

Reaction score
Only problem I am having is FC on batter manager. My HD camera wasnt working for awhile now it works all of a sudden. Odd, but it works and works good.

Reaction score
Only problem I am having is FC on batter manager. My HD camera wasnt working for awhile now it works all of a sudden. Odd, but it works and works good.

You know, something strange recently happened...

I have been using Launcher Pro since I got the phone. I did, however, try ADW once before the 2.2 update, but uninstalled it because it wasn't as nice as LP.

So, yesterday, out of boredom... I installed ADW again. I set it up with a theme, added my widgets and icons (I still hate the dock) and kicked it around some. Just to see what was going on with battery drain, I went into the battery manager and tried to look. Well, it kept crashing on me.

Keep in mind it NEVER crashed when Launcher Pro was installed. It ONLY started happening when I was using ADW.

So, since ADW was the most recent change I made... I uninstalled it (again). I set Launcher Pro up again and then checked the battery manager.

No more crashing.

Just something to check in case you are using ADW.

borge12

Reaction score
I received my warranty replacement with 2.2 on it. I have not had ANY issues. It has been great!

dadarkside

Reaction score

You know, something strange recently happened...

I have been using Launcher Pro since I got the phone. I did, however, try ADW once before the 2.2 update, but uninstalled it because it wasn't as nice as LP.

So, yesterday, out of boredom... I installed ADW again. I set it up with a theme, added my widgets and icons (I still hate the dock) and kicked it around some. Just to see what was going on with battery drain, I went into the battery manager and tried to look. Well, it kept crashing on me.

Keep in mind it NEVER crashed when Launcher Pro was installed. It ONLY started happening when I was using ADW.

So, since ADW was the most recent change I made... I uninstalled it (again). I set Launcher Pro up again and then checked the battery manager.

No more crashing.

Just something to check in case you are using ADW.

Guess i'll shot this down before someone else does. I've been running Launcher Pro since 2.2 update and battery manager f/c 99% of the time. It definitely is not related to the launcher.

OP
carlz28

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

I agree with most of what you said hookbill.
Especially the whole "stages" of an update aspect.
I rooted my D1 a month after I had it back in December of '09. I was a bit leary on doing something like that to an expensive device. I'm glad I took that risk.
I learned quickly most of the inner workings of our phones and OSs.
So when I got my X, I wasn't the least bit hesitant to start hacking away.

I also agree with the nature of more people complaining than those posting satisfactory results.
Fortunately, I've never had any REAL issues other than my own personally created ones.

However, even with that all stated, I still think the manufacturers/carriers have quite a ways to go with their updating process.
Certainly with soooo many variables involved, I can't realistically expect everything to go smoothly for every single user, 100% of the time.
Without including prospective features (cuz you know everybody wishes their phone could do something it can't or included some extra that another phone has, etc) I believe there is still plenty of room for improvement.

Back to my main question in the OP though, I was just curious if anybody has any info/links on these issues and if/when they will be addressed.
Like previously stated, my update went rather well. I just want to know whats in the works.

Guyute

Reaction score
I'm stock 2.2 and it runs much better than 2.1. I don't use the music player so I can't speak for that, but I've had no noticeable issues at all with 2.2. It's faster and much smoother overall. I'd say it's far from a botched OTA.