any need to rename otacert????

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by phreakaj, Dec 21, 2009.

1. phreakaj

phreakaj New Member

Is it really necessary to renamed otacerts since we have a custom recovery img and nandroid backup now???
  2. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

OK, I'll bite. Based on reading and doing most of the root/hacks/threads here, this is what I have gleaned.

The concensus seems to be that any OTA's will not auto-install. There was one poster who said he woke up to a 2.0.1 update without having to do anything. That post is suspicious, but still......

It seems pretty clear that the 2.0.1 OTA update needed to have certain files in their factory condition, or a total trainwreck ensued. One thing is very clear to those of us who are rooted and custom recovered. We have a lot that is not "factory".

As I was one of the ones who never got an OTA before rooting, and this was several days past the 12/11 date, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out whether or not if I got an OTA notification after rooting would the notification hang in my notification bar indefinately. No real answers to that question.

So, imho, if you are rooted, custom recovered and perhaps playing with some of the roms out there, you would need to have your head examined to even consider letting VZW try to do anything to your phone where you do not control each and every step. If they are playing hardball, they could toast your phone. Again, imho, this alternate path looks to me to be an all in situation, and I will do whatever the hive here thinks needs to be done to my phone to eliminate OTA's. Including renaming otacerts.

Craig
  3. tdawg5480

tdawg5480 New Member

yes!!! we do not know if a new ota update will rewrite recovery its safety thing besides we will have the update.zip for manual update before its rolled out full steam like 2.0.1
    You've been warned its not going to kill it but losing root might hurt till a new hole is found for root
    Also if we lose custom recovery we lose nandroid
Search tags for this page

otacert