Any Luck Woody?

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
Need a favor from someone, lol..

if someone can use a file browser and navigate to the /system/app directory and copy the following file to their SD Card or internal storage and email to me!

BlurCalendar.apk and Blur Calendar.odex

PLEASE AND THANKS!

woodyman.dc at gmail DOT COM

mrcastillo

Reaction score
Need a favor from someone, lol..

if someone can use a file browser and navigate to the /system/app directory and copy the following file to their SD Card or internal storage and email to me!

BlurCalendar.apk and Blur Calendar.odex

PLEASE AND THANKS!

woodyman.dc at gmail DOT COM
on the way

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'll also do my best to donate once Rooted. Probably not 50.. but 20-30.

Thanks Woody!

JKingDev

Reaction score

Interesting stuff. I wonder if those same vulnerabilities exist in the android build of the linux kernel. One appears pretty easy to use to gain access to read and write any part of kernel memory. I dont know nearly enough on linux to figure out how to exploit this to gain root but it is listed as an exploit that could lead to gaining privileges.

kanundrum

Reaction score

Interesting stuff. I wonder if those same vulnerabilities exist in the android build of the linux kernel. One appears pretty easy to use to gain access to read and write any part of kernel memory. I dont know nearly enough on linux to figure out how to exploit this to gain root but it is listed as an exploit that could lead to gaining privileges.

Yea agreed. I need to setup my environment correctly and check everything out. Not a developer at heart though which is my biggest fail

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think a lot of developing the rooting process is a combination of luck and skill. You throw every trick you have in your bag at something and hope something works or reveals a next step to try. The D1 got rooted when a patch came out and it was realized that a root package of the same size as the update could replace the update. Teamwork comes into play too. You find one little thing and share it hoping someone else can take it further. It never ceases to amaze me that eventually the doors do get unlocked. Maybe the vendors are just hoping that it takes long enough that the device has been replaced with the next one. They must know their devices will be rooted. Why not just leave them open and say, as they do, that if you alter things you get no warranty, don't come calling us.

edit: ps - Woody, you done yet? :)

JKingDev

Reaction score
I think a lot of developing the rooting process is a combination of luck and skill. You throw every trick you have in your bag at something and hope something works or reveals a next step to try. The D1 got rooted when a patch came out and it was realized that a root package of the same size as the update could replace the update. Teamwork comes into play too. You find one little thing and share it hoping someone else can take it further. It never ceases to amaze me that eventually the doors do get unlocked. Maybe the vendors are just hoping that it takes long enough that the device has been replaced with the next one. They must know their devices will be rooted. Why not just leave them open and say, as they do, that if you alter things you get no warranty, don't come calling us.

I would even argue that locking bootloaders is a security problem for all users. Locked bootloaders make legitimate users have to resort to finding exploits and security holes in the OS as the only way to get root. These exploits can then be used by people with more malicious intent to write malware, utilizing these exploits against users. If they would just unlock the bootloaders we wouldnt have to write viruses just to gain access to the devices we purchased.

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
yes indeed, its a lot of luck, skill, and teamwork, me and bird are working on a few things now and trying to figure it out, you guys will know as soon as i do.. :)

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
yes indeed, its a lot of luck, skill, and teamwork, me and bird are working on a few things now and trying to figure it out, you guys will know as soon as i do.. :)

This is why I smile whenever I see the question, "How long do you think it will take?". I think it is a surprise to the devs as much as to the rest of the community as far as which day a device will become unlocked.

Even more amazing is what these devs do and how far they have come in gaining the knowledge they possess. Their thirst for knowledge is what I think keeps some of them going. Some could say its for fame and recognition, but I think for the most part is the love of tinkering, figuring out the puzzle, and helping others.

kanundrum

Reaction score
All i have been able to do is view every single system file

this is fun.

Last edited:

neonerz

Reaction score
I would even argue that locking bootloaders is a security problem for all users. Locked bootloaders make legitimate users have to resort to finding exploits and security holes in the OS as the only way to get root. These exploits can then be used by people with more malicious intent to write malware, utilizing these exploits against users. If they would just unlock the bootloaders we wouldnt have to write viruses just to gain access to the devices we purchased.

Security by obscurity is not the best practice. The bad guys don't find out about these exploits because the good guys are trying to fix them. The bad guys will be trying to crack/hack/exploit regardless, having the good guys doing it to is not a bad thing.

neilrl79

Reaction score
while doing some research, i came across an article on how to root a nexus s on 2.3.4,would that be any help to acheiving root on the Droid 3? i'll admit to not understanding all the processes involved in rooting, just trying to help.

dazoe

Reaction score
while doing some research, i came across an article on how to root a nexus s on 2.3.4,would that be any help to acheiving root on the Droid 3? i'll admit to not understanding all the processes involved in rooting, just trying to help.

How about a link?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums