Any Luck Woody?

colbyb25

Reaction score
I hear Woody was waiting for your post to announce to the dev community that he has root. Glad you helped spur things along by playing your part in all this :)

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

malaka

Reaction score
lol my paypal is waiting for root...cant wait to pay someone to do something moto should have already done ...unlock this beast

kanundrum

Reaction score
Ive been trying my self but no where near the knowledge of these folks so just trying various items with out trying to brick my phone :)

Big D

Reaction score
Last time took months. That's the time frame I'm hoping for. Earlier is gravy.

But I'm sure the Woodman will do it.

Raptor007

Reaction score
We are all here for you Woodyman. Hopefully once it hits the stores tomorrow we will get even more users on board and hopefully some additional devs. Root may take a community effort to get it done.

neilrl79

Reaction score
working on it and trying new things, all current exploits are patched, so were trying to find something fresh!

and hey I'm honored I got a thread named after me! lol, i'll keep you guys posted

Have you guys found any new news with root?

Hey woody, i was wondering how devs go about trying to get root. I've tried to do some research but the only results i get are explanations of what root is or how to root specific devices. If it's too complicated too explain, then that's cool, but, i'm really interested in the process. Thanks man.

JKingDev

Reaction score
working on it and trying new things, all current exploits are patched, so were trying to find something fresh!

and hey I'm honored I got a thread named after me! lol, i'll keep you guys posted

Have you guys found any new news with root?

Hey woody, i was wondering how devs go about trying to get root. I've tried to do some research but the only results i get are explanations of what root is or how to root specific devices. If it's too complicated too explain, then that's cool, but, i'm really interested in the process. Thanks man.

I had asked Woody the same thing as I was interested in possibly putting my own programming knowledge to work.

Ultimately, you are looking for a security flaw in the OS to exploit. It is the same thing virus writers do. You are trying to find a "bug" in the OS that makes it for some reason give elevated privileges to processes that were not supposed to have it, ultimately your user processes. Try reading about how specific root exploits work.

Android Root Source Code: Looking at the C-Skills – Intrepidus Group - Insight

These security flaws are bad and patched quickly because a person with malicious intent could exploit them for bad reasons. They are good for us though because they allow us to get root on unlocked devices. If bootloaders were not locked we would not need to exploit security holes in the OS to gain root access.

JKingDev

Reaction score
What baffles me though is how these rooters (and virus writers alike) find these security flaws. I guess with lots of linux and android ROM development experience you know where good places to look are.

Jon

kanundrum

Reaction score
Well I assume it would be based on the actual linux kernel which is

linux 2.6.35.7

CVE for Linux exploits are here:

Linux Kernel version 2.6.35.7 : Security vulnerabilities

then you would just start with that.

I do some pentesting for work and this is usually our process.

On Android though its all about what applies to the kernel/os.

I found a few exploits on 2.6.35.7 but I am trying to backup everything I have before trying them out incase I DOS my phone LOL.

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Best of luck to you!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Heelfan71

Reaction score
wonder how many PM's he gets every day asking how much longer etc. :icon_eek:

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
Yes sorry took me so long, wasn't around much yesterday or today, trying to work on the D3 and building a deck which is taking a lot of my time presetnly, which I had more time but you all know how it works..

if you have any questions based on what was said just PM me or email me and i'll be happy to answer any questions.

I had asked Woody the same thing as I was interested in possibly putting my own programming knowledge to work.

Ultimately, you are looking for a security flaw in the OS to exploit. It is the same thing virus writers do. You are trying to find a "bug" in the OS that makes it for some reason give elevated privileges to processes that were not supposed to have it, ultimately your user processes. Try reading about how specific root exploits work.

Android Root Source Code: Looking at the C-Skills – Intrepidus Group - Insight

These security flaws are bad and patched quickly because a person with malicious intent could exploit them for bad reasons. They are good for us though because they allow us to get root on unlocked devices. If bootloaders were not locked we would not need to exploit security holes in the OS to gain root access.