Any info on WIREFLY?

Co_Mntn_Man

Reaction score
I want to purchase a new Droid. The best deal I have found is from a company called Wirefly. Their price is crazy cheap compared to a straight upgrade from Verizon.

Does anyone have any experience in dealing with them? I have done a search and have found lot's of bad 411 on the net.

Jeremy556

Reaction score
It is a bit more work than ordering from Verizon, as you will have to call and talk to them, verify your Verizon account details, etc. You will also get an activation fee from Verizon.

Wirefly

Reaction score
@Co_Mntn_Man,

I'm glad you're doing your research on the purchase of a new Droid. While going to the carrier retail store has its benefits so does shopping through Wirefly... like no activation fees on Verizon upgrades.

We have an outstanding customer service record that we are proud of. We have helped millions of people set up or upgrade their cell phone service, and save money in the process. We offer a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee, with free shipping both ways on returns. Unfortunately, the world of cell phone contracts can be confusing, and confusion can lead to complaints – even accusations that we are running some kind of a scam – particularly when the deals seem too good to be true.

The confusion is usually related to one of the following:

1)Credit approval. After we take your order for a new account, we must get approval from the carrier before your phone can be activated and shipped. If you have insufficient credit history, the carrier may reject the order, or ask us to collect additional information. We try to make this clear, but when the carrier rejects the order, we often take the blame.

2)Deposits. Sometimes, based on a credit check, the carrier will approved the order, but only after we collect a deposit. Of course, we would rather not have to ask for this. When we do, sometimes we are accused of “bait and switch” tactics.

3)Upgrade eligibility. We offer upgrades that let current customers get a discount on a new phone when they renew their contracts, provided that they are eligible. Sometimes the customer does not pass the eligibility check with the carrier, and we are accused of “bait and switch” tactics.

4)Rebates. Cell phone rebates can be confusing. People don’t like them. That’s why Wirefly has not offered rebates on any products since 2007. We don’t even offer rebates from the carriers. All of our prices are simple and straightforward, with no rebates or gimmicks.

5)The equipment discount. The cell phone that we give away for free might have cost Wirefly $250. It’s only free after the Equipment Discount. That’s why, when you order from Wirefly, you agree to be charged this amount if the carrier reports to us that you broke your cell phone contract, or if you return a phone and it’s been damaged in some way. This protects the carriers from fraud, and protects Wirefly from scams.

It is of Wirefly's core brand promise to deliver the following:

We would love the opportunity to earn your business and solve all of your wireless needs.

Wirefly Terry

Last edited:

TomSr

Reaction score
My son bought his Droid at Wirefly and was completely satisfied with all aspects of the transaction.

uphighguy

Reaction score
Just this week, I seriously tried to buy an HTC Droid Incredible 2 from Wirefly for the Verizon network: it would have been a 2-year renewal of my contract with the company.

The 2-year renewal contract Wirefly quoted me was $10 more per month more than the Verizon renewal would have been--so if I'd gone with Wirefly's contract instead of Verizon's, I would have paid $240 more over the life of the 2-year contract.

Wirefly's phone was free, while Verizon's, given my discounts, cost me $99. $240-$99=$141 savings from renewing my contract directly through Verizon instead of Wirefly.

I wondered how Wirefly could afford to give away free phones; now I know: Verizon has to be kicking back some of that extra $10 a month on the 2-year contract.

Do the math before getting into bed with these guys.

Wirefly

Reaction score
Just this week, I seriously tried to buy an HTC Droid Incredible 2 from Wirefly for the Verizon network: it would have been a 2-year renewal of my contract with the company.

The 2-year renewal contract Wirefly quoted me was $10 more per month more than the Verizon renewal would have been--so if I'd gone with Wirefly's contract instead of Verizon's, I would have paid $240 more over the life of the 2-year contract.

Wirefly's phone was free, while Verizon's, given my discounts, cost me $99. $240-$99=$141 savings from renewing my contract directly through Verizon instead of Wirefly.

I wondered how Wirefly could afford to give away free phones; now I know: Verizon has to be kicking back some of that extra $10 a month on the 2-year contract.

Do the math before getting into bed with these guys.

Actually we offer the same plans as the carrier, VZW in this case. The extra $10 per plan, is the $9.99 you pay for the 2nd line on a family plan. So if you currently have a family plan, then instead of it being the rate plan + $9.99 for the second line, we just show you the price for both. Let me know if you have any other questions that I can assist you with.

cvansickler

Reaction score
Wirefly is a SCAMMM!!! Stay away - Buy from anyone else but Wirefly.

Here's the story:purchased a new phone and 2 year phone contract through Wirefly for my Grandmother. At the time she had a 1000 minute family plan. With my grandfathers passing she no longer needed the family plan so we purchased a 500 minute classic plan. Even though i have physical proof that we purchased a 500 minute classic plan, Wirefly defaulted the plan back to a family plan. Wirefly then asked for a death certificate to prove my grandfathers death which I provided. It didn't make a difference.

The escalation team "supposedly" looked at this several times. Somehow I don't think that this happened.

Not only did my grandmother not get the plan that she wanted (they reverted her back to the family plan), Wirefly charged her $400 for the balance of changing the plan ---- which she did not do.

Wirefly proposes all of these fantastic deals on phones and plans. They messed up and my grandmother got screwed. I caught them several times stating things that didnt happen. I have physical paper proof that they messed up. It still didn't matter. STAY AWAY - STAY VERY FAR AWAY.

I am a 40 year old business executive - it is hard for me to believe that there are still business out there that conduct business this way.

I will be telling everyone I know - every blog (this is the 4th blog today) I can think of to stay away from this company.

Messing with my Grandmother will cost them way more than the $400 that they charged her.

Colby

Wirefly

Reaction score
Hey Colby,
What you are saying doesnt seem right. I understand and would be upset if I were in your shoes as well. Please send me your grandmother's order number, via PM, so that I can review her order to see what happened. If we can make this right, I would like to do that. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

uphighguy

Reaction score
Actually we offer the same plans as the carrier, VZW in this case. The extra $10 per plan, is the $9.99 you pay for the 2nd line on a family plan. So if you currently have a family plan, then instead of it being the rate plan + $9.99 for the second line, we just show you the price for both. Let me know if you have any other questions that I can assist you with.

In my case, I was upgrading only one line of a family plan--the principle line. So despite the claims of the Wirefly rep above, I would have been paying $10 extra for that one line.

Wirefly

Reaction score
Do you have an order number? I am happy to review your order and see why the price changed.

uphighguy

Reaction score
Do you have an order number? I am happy to review your order and see why the price changed.

Sorry, I don't. This was back in June, and I canceled the order when I discovered it would cost me $10 more per month than the Verizon plan, and that I was better off, even paying for the phone, than going with the Wirefly plan. The price that came up was the price computed on the Wirefly website.

cvansickler

Reaction score
order number

the order number was 593733582. Since my grandmother had dementia, and I am quite savvy on the internet I thought that I would save her as much money as possible. She is living on my deceased grandfathers teaching pension and social security.

This was not even remotely close to what she signed up for. I would appreciate any help that you can provide. I have spoken with John, Mika, Robert and a few other people at your escalation team and that didnt lead anywhere. Even with the death certificate.

Hey Colby,
What you are saying doesnt seem right. I understand and would be upset if I were in your shoes as well. Please send me your grandmother's order number, via PM, so that I can review her order to see what happened. If we can make this right, I would like to do that. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Wirefly

Reaction score
Colby,
Sorry for the delay in responding. I am having your order reviewed. Can you please PM me your contact information or email it to me at [email protected]? I have our activations manager reviewing the order and will need to make sure we can call you regarding this issue.
Thanks!
-Kim

Roberta.mccowan1

Reaction score
Wow, Glad to have read this.

We were about to order 22 new phones with plans for one of our offices. We cannot afford to have Wirefly mess up on 22 phones and plans. If they did the same thing to our order that would be an additional $8800 cost to the companies bottom line. My boss would not be happy.

I would be very interested to see if Wirefly is able to resolve this issue.

Roberta

Here's the story:purchased a new phone and 2 year phone contract through Wirefly for my Grandmother. At the time she had a 1000 minute family plan. With my grandfathers passing she no longer needed the family plan so we purchased a 500 minute classic plan. Even though i have physical proof that we purchased a 500 minute classic plan, Wirefly defaulted the plan back to a family plan. Wirefly then asked for a death certificate to prove my grandfathers death which I provided. It didn't make a difference.

The escalation team "supposedly" looked at this several times. Somehow I don't think that this happened.

Not only did my grandmother not get the plan that she wanted (they reverted her back to the family plan), Wirefly charged her $400 for the balance of changing the plan ---- which she did not do.

Wirefly proposes all of these fantastic deals on phones and plans. They messed up and my grandmother got screwed. I caught them several times stating things that didnt happen. I have physical paper proof that they messed up. It still didn't matter. STAY AWAY - STAY VERY FAR AWAY.

I am a 40 year old business executive - it is hard for me to believe that there are still business out there that conduct business this way.

I will be telling everyone I know - every blog (this is the 4th blog today) I can think of to stay away from this company.

Messing with my Grandmother will cost them way more than the $400 that they charged her.

Colby

Roberta.mccowan1

Reaction score
Wow, is right.

We were about to order 22 new phones with plans for one of our offices. We cannot afford to have Wirefly mess up on 22 phones and plans. If they did the same thing to our order that would be an additional $8800 cost to the companies bottom line. My boss would not be happy.

I would be very interested to see if Wirefly is able to resolve this issue.

Roberta