Any Help with Hot Spot Issue?

Agrajag

Reaction score
Guys,

I know the mantra so no need to preach (though I'd expect few here having rooted our phones and wiped the ROM would go that way).

Once in a while I want to use my phone as a hotspot. This is one of my gripes with the option Verizon presents. I maybe do this once a month for a matter of minutes at a time. That sort of usage should be included.

Anyway, I use Wifi Tether and it's been great but now I ran into an issue. I'm spending weekends on the beach with a Kindle and it refuses to see the hotspot (the ad-hoc versus infrastructure issue). I read that there's a way to get a true hotspot that any app will see. There was talk of a 3G Hack but that seems to have vanished now.

Are others getting this to work reliably/easily and, if so, how?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think the radio in the original Droid is capable of infrastructure wireless. Can connect to, but not create.

Hotspot was not available as an option for this phone.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
I've never tried the built in one, but I have used this and it works great.

Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

Guys,

I know the mantra so no need to preach (though I'd expect few here having rooted our phones and wiped the ROM would go that way).

Once in a while I want to use my phone as a hotspot. This is one of my gripes with the option Verizon presents. I maybe do this once a month for a matter of minutes at a time. That sort of usage should be included.

Anyway, I use Wifi Tether and it's been great but now I ran into an issue. I'm spending weekends on the beach with a Kindle and it refuses to see the hotspot (the ad-hoc versus infrastructure issue). I read that there's a way to get a true hotspot that any app will see. There was talk of a 3G Hack but that seems to have vanished now.

Are others getting this to work reliably/easily and, if so, how?