Any good math/science/engineering apps out there?

edthesped

Reaction score
any difficult problem would require paper and pencil so an app with difficult problems is kind of pointless

You may need to change "any" to "many" Over the years I have written many simple routines to handle difficult problems eliminating the need to put pencil to paper to find a solution.

vico512

Reaction score
Droid48 if you're an RPN guy...

I'll have to take a look at that one.

On my Dell Axim, I have an HP-15C emulator -- IMHO the best of the RPN emulators that I've seen. I sweat thru a lot of exams with the HP15C.

I'd love to find one for the Droid.

Vic (new Droid user)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm currently an engineering student and I was looking around for some fun apps to play with on my droid. I have the following (pertaining to math & science)

-coles calculus review ( just cheat sheets for calc and trig)
-math alarm clock (do math problems to silence your alarm)
-TED (some science news app)

but thats really it. I mean im on the advanced math (completed my calc stuff a while back so the cheat sheets are only good for when i forget some integral ) and the math alarm clock is just a pain (my brain doesnt work when i just wake up so some of those are hard to solve for even me lol (fail) )

I was just seeing if anyone out there was able to find some that were interesting to play with or any engineering-related ones in general

Thanks guys

btw its aerospace for anyone who was gonna ask :) (hence the plane avatar)

lil off topic
where you going to school at and what job are you particularly looking to get.

edthesped

Reaction score

On my Dell Axim, I have an HP-15C emulator -- IMHO the best of the RPN emulators that I've seen. I sweat thru a lot of exams with the HP15C.

Vic (new Droid user)

That thing pre-dates my education but a quick search turned this up...

RpnCalc Pro

It might be close to what you are looking for...

Ghostwheel

Reaction score

Vic (new Droid user)

That thing pre-dates my education but a quick search turned this up...

RpnCalc Pro

It might be close to what you are looking for...

The HP48 was also RPN, and I sweated through a lot of exams with that one in the early 1990s - everyone seemed to love it for its graphing, but my favorite feature was that it would differentiate AND integrate (some pretty complex functions, too). I just downloaded the Droid48 app, an HP48 emulator as recommended above, but I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

zakany

Reaction score
I still have my HP-15C. Got me through engineering school, license exam, and my career so far. Not bad for a 27-year-old calculator. Still have its soft case.

vico512

Reaction score
I still have my HP-15C. Got me through engineering school, license exam, and my career so far. Not bad for a 27-year-old calculator. Still have its soft case.

Yeah, those things are becoming rare. I lived and slept with mine back when I was doing the numerous theory courses at the FAA Academy in OKC. Wish I still had it -- someone "borrowed" it many years ago.

Blackmoth

Reaction score
Sure, you could download a calculator emulator or app the the previous posts are talking about.

But for quick unit conversions (ie meters to feet) AND advanced unit conversions (ie Joules to BTU's) use Wolfram Alpha's App.

Hell, use wolfram alpha.com. Sometimes it feels like cheating, but resources are resources.

The App simply links you up to the website, but I find it handy.

P.S. Wolfram Alpha can do some amazing things:

1) Differential Equations: y'' = 5y + 10y - Wolfram|Alpha'
2) Eigenvalues: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=eigenvalues++of+{{1,+1,+1},+{2,+2,+2},+{3,+3,+3}}
3) Laplace Transformations: laplace transform of y'' = 2y' - 2y +2 - Wolfram|Alpha

jungajuice

Reaction score
Calculus Tools
com.andymc.derivative

That's been my project for the past several weeks.

Not nearly Wolfram, but it's standalone. :)

OP
Abe21599

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Calculus Tools
com.andymc.derivative

That's been my project for the past several weeks.

Not nearly Wolfram, but it's standalone. :)

not bad but i really need stuff that has more post-calc classes

ie fourier, laplace, ODEs, PDEs..

cyber3dx

Reaction score
Are there any formula capable apps?

I still use my Sharp EL-5100 which allows me to input and store many formulas and run calculations with any number of variables. Is there an app out there that does that for me? I can't seem to find any.

My Sharp is so old I am afraid its gonna die on me someday.

chrs

Reaction score
I still use my Sharp EL-5100

My favorite calculator ever! :heart: For a while I had a pc-based emulator for it. I can't find that now though--would need to boot up an old machine to find it I guess.

I posted some reviews of scientific for Android here. My favorites are Mathdroid, HandyCalc, and Arity.

Nandik

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Android
"El Mathador: Grab Math by the horns" . It has multiple challenge levels, sounds like the "mad scientist" level- the highest challenge level would suite you best :)