Any fix for USB Connect Yet?

mikespe

Reaction score
Is there a fix/work-a-round to be able to connect the D1 to a computer via usb? I have tried a few other kernels (using Juiced 250-1000 now) including the deprimed which worked for the usb but slowed the speed down dramatically!!! Anyone figure something out?

Thanks!

b-jammin21

Reaction score
I have a work around.

Take out your sd card and load it into a card reader and then plug that card reader into a usb port. Lol that's the best solution I've found thus far.

Apprazer

Reaction score
Not helpful, I know, but I'm running 3.3.1 on a d1 with stock kernel and have never had a USB connection problem. The times I only have debug available, I unplug and plug-in the USB cable and it connects fine. All other issues that I've had, and there have been a few. I had to wipe and flash the rom several times before I got a stable install of 3.3.1.

I'm trying primes kernels right now, but I really have no problems stock

hrdnhvy

Reaction score
Staying with the stock kernel is the only thing that kept my usb working, no matter what kernel i tried killed the usb, for some, disabling debugging while connected to the pc enabled the usb transferring....as much as I love UD over most other roms, the combination of the buggy usb & the led feature not working, I jumped over to a diff rom until those are fixed, but I know ill be back to UD eventually, I always am....lol...though I have found some additional features while rom browsing that I would love to see in UD, that would make an already great rom even better.

OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone...I really love UD as well & I really don't want to switch. I am one of those that gets his phone all set up the way I like it & leaves it...only adding applications or changing the wallpaper every so often...

I hate having to wipe before flashing a new ROM but I know it's important to do so. I thought about trying CM7 but I heard it's not running on the D1 (or having issues or something...?).

What other good Gingerbread ROMs are out there that can at least be similar to UD?

Thanks again!

Apprazer

Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone...I really love UD as well & I really don't want to switch. I am one of those that gets his phone all set up the way I like it & leaves it...only adding applications or changing the wallpaper every so often...

That's exactly the way I want it, but BD keeps putting new versions of UD and I have to flash ...

I hate having to wipe before flashing a new ROM but I know it's important to do so.

I really don't understand it because I wipe (not 3 but) 4 times (data,system and davlik) every time I flash a rom including updates to UD and I get different results each time. Once, the market would not update certain (big memory) apps, then titanium would not install, then I kept losing wifi, themes. I just kept wiping and reflashing 3.3.1 until I finally saw some stability.

I thought about trying CM7 but I heard it's not running on the D1 (or having issues or something...?).

What other good Gingerbread ROMs are out there that can at least be similar to UD?

Since I was having a bunch of issues with UD, I kept reading up on CM, thinking I was going that way but it doesn't sound ready. Right now CM is not a stable D1 rom, but they're committed to making it work.

I believe liquid and chevy have GB roms, but IMO BD is way ahead of the pack. Beyond froyo, development for the D1 is limited.

BTW, I have Prime's kernel running with comp cache, USB and wifi tethering and things are running stable and cool.

OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score

That's exactly the way I want it, but BD keeps putting new versions of UD and I have to flash ...

I hate having to wipe before flashing a new ROM but I know it's important to do so.

I really don't understand it because I wipe (not 3 but) 4 times (data,system and davlik) every time I flash a rom including updates to UD and I get different results each time. Once, the market would not update certain (big memory) apps, then titanium would not install, then I kept losing wifi, themes. I just kept wiping and reflashing 3.3.1 until I finally saw some stability.

I thought about trying CM7 but I heard it's not running on the D1 (or having issues or something...?).

Since I was having a bunch of issues with UD, I kept reading up on CM, thinking I was going that way but it doesn't sound ready. Right now CM is not a stable D1 rom, but they're committed to making it work.

I believe liquid and chevy have GB roms, but IMO BD is way ahead of the pack. Beyond froyo, development for the D1 is limited.

BTW, I have Prime's kernel running with comp cache, USB and wifi tethering and things are running stable and cool.

HOW DID YOU GET THAT KERNEL TO WORK? Sorry to shout but I have asked several times in the thread for the deprime kernel and NO ONE will answer my question. Did you use Prime or Deprime? I am more than willing to try it again but I just want it not to be sluggish like it was when I first installed the deprimed....USB worked great with it but I had NO SPEED & my Quadrant score was very low with it. The guys in the other thread basically told me that Quadrant was crap & never answered my questions....EVERYONE uses Quadrant from what i understand....

Thanks so much for posting!

phonetool

Reaction score
My USB wouldn't hook up directly after a flash to 7.0.2, either.
I found I had to uncheck USB Debugging and then it immediately hooked up.
I also had the problem again after flashing to the DePrimed kernel.
Same thing- no USB.
As soon as I unchecked USB Debugging, up popped the android logo notification of connection.

Once I'd done it, I could change USB debugging to either setting and it would hook up. Color me stumped.

I also found that hooking the phone to two different Windows machines (XP and Win2k) I had to go through the same thing with USB Debug, even though I'd just done it and it worked fine on the other machine.

Maybe it's a Windows issue?
No clue.

Anyway, try Home/Menu/Applications/Development/USB Debugging [ on/off ]
and see if it works for you.

OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score
My USB wouldn't hook up directly after a flash to 7.0.2, either.
I found I had to uncheck USB Debugging and then it immediately hooked up.
I also had the problem again after flashing to the DePrimed kernel.
Same thing- no USB.
As soon as I unchecked USB Debugging, up popped the android logo notification of connection.

Once I'd done it, I could change USB debugging to either setting and it would hook up. Color me stumped.

I also found that hooking the phone to two different Windows machines (XP and Win2k) I had to go through the same thing with USB Debug, even though I'd just done it and it worked fine on the other machine.

Maybe it's a Windows issue?
No clue.

Anyway, try Home/Menu/Applications/Development/USB Debugging [ on/off ]
and see if it works for you.

I just tried this and whether Debugging is checked or unchecked it shows Debugging is connected? Now THAT is very strange! I am using the Juiced 250/1gHz kernel now...I got rid of deprime when it was running so slow...

Thanks!

allan1

Reaction score
if i enable usb in rz recovery my computer will recognize it. that's what i've been doing til its fixed. im using a rz zepius kernel on my phone and i don't want to change it.

armopride07

Reaction score
Peteralfonso.com. he released new kernels today that are believed to fix any USB issues. Hit up the link and check them out

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score
Peteralfonso.com. he released new kernels today that are believed to fix any USB issues. Hit up the link and check them out

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

That did it! Thank you! But I have to wait & see about battery life with this kernel...It seemed to drop 10% in about 30min...I used the 1gHz standard voltage one...I might try the low voltage one later today to see how it does....

Thanks for sharing this!

Apprazer

Reaction score
HOW DID YOU GET THAT KERNEL TO WORK? Sorry to shout but I have asked several times in the thread for the deprime kernel and NO ONE will answer my question. Did you use Prime or Deprime? I am more than willing to try it again but I just want it not to be sluggish like it was when I first installed the deprimed....USB worked great with it but I had NO SPEED & my Quadrant score was very low with it. The guys in the other thread basically told me that Quadrant was crap & never answered my questions....EVERYONE uses Quadrant from what i understand....

Thanks so much for posting!

I uninstalled all my speed testing tools. As long as my phone does what it's supposed to do, is consistently stable, smooth and cool, I don't care what my Q score is.

I tried running the re-primed version of his kernel, but I don't know enough about this stuff to really tell you what I may have done differently. My understanding is that no two phones are alike and how each responds to a rom or kernel is likely going to be different. I just keep backing up and flashing until I get the desired consistency.

cbroussard99

Reaction score
USB Working on UD 3.3.1

I got my USB working using one of Pete's new kernels. I also noticed from another post that if you are using Swapper 2 you have to disable it in order to use the USB connection to your CPU.

OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score
Well I've been using peter's kernels for a little over 24hrs now & while the USB DOES work the battery life SUCKS big time! I had the governor on interactive as he suggests in his blog and after 6hrs of LIGHT USE I'm at 20% battery!!!! That's NOT acceptable to me. I switched the governor to ondemand to see how that works. I'll do that for 24hrs or so to see what happens. If I had a choice between USB or battery life I'll take battery life any day. I can use Dropbox to transfer files if need be...

I don't know how these guys age getting 18+ hours from this kernel?

Any other suggestions guys? Thanks