Any fellow droiders have an older Sony LCD Rear Projection?

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
If not, nevermind; if so please read concerning great replacement deal.

I've got a 2004 50" Sony LCD rear projection. It's got a defect known as an "optical block defect" that Sony is offering a sweet replacement. They will offer you a 40 inch LED, 46 inch LED or a 55 inch LED really cheap. These are the brand new 2011 models; 3D, 1080p, very very thin LED panels. I went for the 55 inch and once they recieve the picture of my TV showing the defect and the S/N sticker they will charge my CC and ship it for $610.00 which includes shipping but not local sales tax. I checked it out at Best Buy yesterday and man what picture quality. The 3D is pretty decent, but I don't really care about that.

Check into it if this applies to you. If not, nevermind.

grgguy

Reaction score
Can you elaborate on this please . Is there a link to check model #'s against . I have a 55 " sony , last model they made I believe

OP
DessoThumbs

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
Can you elaborate on this please . Is there a link to check model #'s against . I have a 55 " sony , last model they made I believe

Is it the rear projection LCD? Do you have "cloudy like discoloration" that you can see on the picture - mostly at the edges that work their way in? They can also look like colored smuges. Usually blueish, yellowish or greenish. Mine is mostly yellow around the perimeter with some purpleish blue smduges more in the center. The purple smudges have been evident in lighter background pictures for several months now.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score

Is it the rear projection LCD? Do you have "cloudy like discoloration" that you can see on the picture - mostly at the edges that work their way in? They can also look like colored smuges. Usually blueish, yellowish or greenish. Mine is mostly yellow around the perimeter with some purpleish blue smduges more in the center. The purple smudges have been evident in lighter background pictures for several months now.

DUUUUUUUUUUUDE! that's me exactly. OP, post a link, post a link!

OP
DessoThumbs

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
Yes to all

Google SonyListens or Sony Listens. Sorry, I'm at work.

You'll need to email them with model/serial number/description of your problem and your phone number. They called me the next day and made the offer pending me sending the picture/sn sticker/written description. They went ahead and took my CC info and said it will be charged and shipped upon verification. Needless to say I sent it certified the next day. GOOD LUCK and let me/us know your results.

610 for a 2200 tv ain't too shabby. :)

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Yes to all

You'll need to email them with model/serial number/description of your problem and your phone number. They called me the next day and made the offer pending me sending the picture/sn sticker/written description. They went ahead and took my CC info and said it will be charged and shipped upon verification. Needless to say I sent it certified the next day. GOOD LUCK and let me/us know your results.

Thanks, I got the Google goodness going before this post. I also found this very comprehensive (read a very long read) site. But the pics are me all over. I was suffering in silence. Oh the things you learn of DF!

Sony LCD Rear Projection TV Problems

grgguy

Reaction score
That is a very long read , I'll wait till this evening . But thank you very much.

OP
DessoThumbs

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
Yes to all

Thanks, I got the Google goodness going before this post. I also found this very comprehensive (read a very long read) site. But the pics are me all over. I was suffering in silence. Oh the things you learn of DF!

Sony LCD Rear Projection TV Problems

Yeah, my daughter's boyfriend (he IS good for something!! LOL just kidding he's a great guy) said his dad's TV; the 60 inch version of mine, had bad problems and called tech support to find out how to go about paying for the repair. He was tickled when they told him of the replacement deal. SO WAS I. LOL

There's a facebook page called "I have a defective Sony TV" that SONY is all over, trying to save face. Lots of replies. I jumped in too and a SONY rep instantly replied they are determined to make it right.

Last edited:

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I emailed Sony. They asked me to call in, and then emailed back 3 choices of TVs. I picked a 46" for $50. The same model is at my local BBY for $899. Great looking picture when compared to the others on the wall. Not a bad deal to replace a 4-5 yo 42" TV. I just sent the pics of my TV and serial number sticker to Sony as requested. They said I should get my new TV in 3 weeks.

Thanks for posting Desso

OP
DessoThumbs

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
I emailed Sony. They asked me to call in, and then emailed back 3 choices of TVs. I picked a 46" for $50. The same model is at my local BBY for $899. Great looking picture when compared to the others on the wall. Not a bad deal to replace a 4-5 yo 42" TV. I just sent the pics of my TV and serial number sticker to Sony as requested. They said I should get my new TV in 3 weeks.

Thanks for posting Desso

Your welcome.

I believe that Sony's offers are based on the year/model of the defective tv you have. I was offered the 40, 46 and 55 inch. I chose the 55 for 610. It's about 2200 at best buy and to me has the best PQ in the store. Just got a Bose sound system, 2 3D glasses, 3 high speed hdmi cables and the wifi dongle. Just waiting on my TV now! :)

Vyvid

Reaction score
This makes me wanna find one on CL lol jk

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

OP
DessoThumbs

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
UPDATE: My new KDL-55EX720 is on its way via DB Shenker. Estimated delivery, tomorrow. Yay! Has anyone had anything delivered by this freight company?

Also, have any earlier posters to this thread followed up with your replacement?

Got Avatar 3D ready for viewing tomorrow night, hoping I don't get a headache from it.

OP
DessoThumbs

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
GOT the replacement today. No tweaks yet; striaght out of the box and playing TW2012 for the first time.

setup-1.jpg