Any downside if Goggle Nexus turns out to be a Verizon orphan?

rjsurfer

Reaction score
If and when this phone gets here will there be any downside if it turns out to be the last Google Nexus phone that Verizon sells? I'm thinking that this delay has caused a rift between the Google and Verizon and just maybe Verizon will decide to never sell another Google branded phone.

I'm looking long term, things like accessories, updates to both hardware and software etc.

Ron W.

jmcdonald

Reaction score
Also considering that Google has purchased Motorola, will this make Verizon go to only selling Samsung and HTC phones? Verizon really needs to know their role - they are just a pipeline to the internet. They don't make phones and really shouldn't be dictating to us what we can or cannot do with our phones.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

stikss

Reaction score
Uh.... I highly doubt that Verizon and Google have a rift nor will Verizon stop selling Google / Android based products.... it would be devastating to Verizon and their future product line if they did. This hasnt been the only issues with the Nexus brand and the provider. They've all had to tweek and remove proprietary software if they wanna sell the Nexus.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Lenagainster

Reaction score
Any phone you get with a new contract or contract renewal means you will be stuck with it for 20 months. In that time, newer, faster, better phones will be coming out all the time. You may not want to stick with a Google phone. The chargers have become standardized on many phones, using a micro-USB port. They have car mounts that hold a variety of different phones, unlike some car-docks that are only good for one or two different models from the same manufacturer. I wouldn't let someone's guess on the future relationship between VZW and Google determine your choice of phones. Base it on all the reading you do of the reviews for all the top phones from users and technical sources.

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
Should be very interesting with this whole google wallet thing. Obviously google is going to want their software on all phones that run android and right fully so. ISIS and GW can not coexist.

I think Google's next step is to release a mobile network that will be the feature of all Motorola Android phones.

Google should just buy T-Mobile and dump millions in to it to make it the fastest and most reliable network. I'd have no problem switching to a Google network so long as the coverage was reliable.

Sent from my NookColor using DroidForums

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree that Google should move into the wireless industry, they have the capitol and they have the following. I just hope this doesn't turn into a huge battle between them and Verizon, it could be ugly. Verizon is about the only wireless company that can tell Google to shove it sadly and I imagine they have no problem doing it.

wolstonc

Reaction score
Should be very interesting with this whole google wallet thing. Obviously google is going to want their software on all phones that run android and right fully so. ISIS and GW can not coexist.

I think Google's next step is to release a mobile network that will be the feature of all Motorola Android phones.

Google should just buy T-Mobile and dump millions in to it to make it the fastest and most reliable network. I'd have no problem switching to a Google network so long as the coverage was reliable.

Sent from my NookColor using DroidForums

Google wouldn't make a network of Motorola Google phones, because it'd alienate their non moto partners, which has been hard enough to avoid.
And a Google cellular network probably won't happen, as the DOJ would be all over it more than they already are to Google.
Personally I just wish for a Google isp, but don't see it happening soon.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

aramos87

Reaction score
They've actually been testing Google branded sim cards over in parts of Europe.. maybe it could happen eventually.. who knows.. like someone said.. they have the Capitol and definitely the following.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
After this Nexus fiasco, I personally don't see a "Google experience" phone coming to Verizon again.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I think people are starting to get a bit paranoid over this phone.

But hey... I'm not one to turn down some juicy conspiracy theories :D

DHO

Reaction score
If you go chat with people in the stores, they will tell you this happens with most of their phones. Verizon sends an email, retracts it, sets another date, retracts it.
Remember the bionic, it was delayed ~6 months to fix battery issues, there were how many release dates? Verizon will make so much money from the gnex, hopefully they will be motivated to release a nexus every couples years, even if it is a hassle.

And who cares if Verizon orphans it as long as we get AOSP builds :)

nbucko

Reaction score
Personally I just wish for a Google isp, but don't see it happening soon.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

http://www.google.com/fiber/kansascity/faq.html

S
ounds like its going to be a while before it actually happens and then I'm actually in a suburb of Kansas City, about 25 miles east of the Kansas/Missouri state line so it will even longer before it actually gets to me assuming it takes off.