Any cure for a really tiny scratch?

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
I'm super careful with my trusty Rezound. It's always either in my shirt pocket or the charger but somehow I managed to get a really tiny scratch that runs vertically on the screen. Is there anything I can use to "buff out" the scratch. It's not a wide enough scratch to justify replacing.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I'm super careful with my trusty Rezound. It's always either in my shirt pocket or the charger but somehow I managed to get a really tiny scratch that runs vertically on the screen. Is there anything I can use to "buff out" the scratch. It's not a wide enough scratch to justify replacing.

I would advise against trying to 'buff out' any scratches. There are kits designed to fill in super-fine scratches on CDs with polymers which may help to reduce the appearance of scratches. Any abrasive scratch removers (such as RareOx - Cerium Oxide or other oxides), work by taking a thin layer of the surface off, essentially making the glass thinner and at the depth of the scratch. Since most glass on cell phones is now treated to minimize scratches, using such abrasives will actually remove the treated surface making the untreated glass beneath more susceptible to future scratching. The best solution is to apply a laminate scratch protector which will both hide the scratch and add a layer of protection from future scratches.

If you want to give it a go, here's a link.

http://www.gtglass.com/glass-scratc...ing-compound?gclid=CKexwZS-kq4CFUFN4Aod8CGNKQ

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

flamewalker

Reaction score
Word of advice... Some screen protectors can be a pain to install without bubbles and the like. Make sure you have a clean area to work with and I would recommend a couple cheap ones... Forget where I got mine (extreme screen protectors or something like that) but I got 3 for like $5...messed up the first one and did good on the second, and have a spare :p

One speck of dust under it can ruin the whole install. Just take it slow and be patient :) Also I'd advise avoiding anti glare ones as they just ruin the look of the phone, Imo. Try to find clear ones.

And yes as other have pointed out the protectors can sometimes hide, or at least significantly reduce the look of certain scratches and dings. I got a couple knicks from dropping mine the day I bought it before I got a protector... And I don't even notice the dings anymore.

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Well, I sent away for it and hope it does the job. For what that stuff costs, it'd better LOL.

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
No luck. Didn't do a damned thing. Going to try to return it. It did nothing.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can use clear finger nail polish, or clear coat. Take a pointed toothpick, put just a drop on it. Once you've done that blot even the drop off so its just the moist wood. When you touch the tip of the tooth pick to the scratch it will usually wick right into the scratch. If it doesn't look right immediately you can still wipe it back off with alcohol and a cotton ball. Cosmetics saves the day, again!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Tooth paste.. Not the gel... Regular toothpaste and your finger tip...

The question is, can you feel the scratch with your finger nail? If so it's pretty deep.. Use toothpaste and your fingers pressure... Buff it down.. And then you have this to consider..

You've scratched it once.. You can scratch it more often.. I'd put a clear protector over it.. Its gonna hide the scratch that's there, and prevent further scratches...

Or you could use a filler, similar to the one made from eye glasses and dvd/cd's..

gerrya

Reaction score
If you buff it you will wish you did nothing. There is somekind of coating on the screen that will come off if you buff it and look worse than the scratch. I did it and ended up changing the digitizer. Once I changed the digitizer I put a realook screen protector on it and I think thats the best screen protector out there.

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
can you feel the scratch with your finger nail?

No. I can't feel it at all. It's such a tiny scratch (about 2" long) you can barely see it I can't feel it at all.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
No. I can't feel it at all. It's such a tiny scratch (about 2" long) you can barely see it I can't feel it at all.

Frankly I wouldn't obsess about it. It's like a ding on a new car...at first it bothers you immensely but after a while it's just a part of the look and you get used to it not bothering you anymore.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2