Any apps or ways to receive MMS from Google Voice 'texts' yet?

CheathamHill

Reaction score
Has a "solution" been found to receive pictures,files, etc via Google Voice or is there an app that integrates both? Not very tech and forum savy so forgive me if this topic has been beaten to death over the months/years

thanks in advance

Xander Crews

Reaction score
I'd love an answer to this as well.

I just went 100% Google Voice and I'd like to mms. Sucks you can't.

magma_camel

Reaction score
I just tell people to send emails instead its pretty much the same now to send an email then a mms

Sent from my NookColor using DroidForums

Xander Crews

Reaction score
I just tell people to send emails instead its pretty much the same now to send an email then a mms

Not a good solution.
Not everyone in the world owns a smart phone with a data plan. Some of my friends and most of my family do not have smart phones.

And if someone sends an mms to my phone, I don't get it. I don't even get a notification I received anything. It just disappears into the cloud somewhere.

In today's tech world, you don't offer texting without mms functionality. It's been a few years since Google Voice has been released...and still no mms?
Come on.

Google Voice should AT THE VERY LEAST forward any mms to gmail so you can get it. At least I would get the image then.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nope. You can't force GV to transfer MMS if it doesn't support it.

In today's tech world, you don't offer texting without mms functionality.
You can make up whatever arbitrary rules you want but clearly Google isn't following this one.

Google Voice should AT THE VERY LEAST forward any mms to gmail so you can get it. At least I would get the image then.
Have you suggested/promoted this feature request directly with Google? Don't assume that they read forum rants.

Xander Crews

Reaction score
Nope. You can't force GV to transfer MMS if it doesn't support it.

In today's tech world, you don't offer texting without mms functionality.
You can make up whatever arbitrary rules you want but clearly Google isn't following this one.

Have you suggested/promoted this feature request directly with Google? Don't assume that they read forum rants.

I'll rephrase...
What good is the non-mms texting feature in GV in today's smartphone world?

And yes, I have suggested the feature to Google using their feature request page:
Suggest a feature for Google Voice - Google Voice Help

I suggest anyone who wants GV to support mms to request it using that link. It only takes 2 seconds.

tennvol

Reaction score

Not a good solution.
Not everyone in the world owns a smart phone with a data plan. Some of my friends and most of my family do not have smart phones.

And if someone sends an mms to my phone, I don't get it. I don't even get a notification I received anything. It just disappears into the cloud somewhere.

In today's tech world, you don't offer texting without mms functionality. It's been a few years since Google Voice has been released...and still no mms?
Come on.

People can send a mms to a email address. They don't need a smartphone to do so. My wife has a old school LG dumbphone and sends mms to my email all the time.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

Xander Crews

Reaction score

Not a good solution.

Come on.

People can send a mms to a email address. They don't need a smartphone to do so. My wife has a old school LG dumbphone and sends mms to my email all the time.

Hmmm...I never knew that. Good to know, thanks.
But that still doesn't solve the problem of me sending a photo text using GV to someone's phone.

It would be great if everyone in the world used an Android phone and we could all just use Google Talk instead of mms, sms.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It would be great if everyone in the world used an Android phone and we could all just use Google Talk instead of mms, sms.
They don't have to use Android to use Google Talk. In any case, IM such as Google Talk and SMS/MMS are entirely different beasts.

Kieldar

Reaction score
Sending pictures to people

Just as dumbphones can send pictures to email address, you can email to phone numbers. For example, to send a picture to a Verizon phone, send the picture in an email to [email protected], with the 10 X's being the person's 10-digit phone number. See here for the list of email address that correspond to different carriers:
How to send email to a phone « SMS 411Kieldar

Natey2

Reaction score

Disabling it is a configuration option via Verizon's website. Premium MMS can be very expensive for people who are not aware.
Has anyone looked at alternatives like textPlus and TextFree? They are free, provide you with a texting number so your real phone number is not disclosed, and I believe the former can send pics/audio.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app.

Xander Crews

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of using a 3rd party apps like textplus that give you a separate phone number for texting. It's inconvenient to ask other people to carry around two different numbers and use one to send me texts and one to call me. That's simply not I want to ask people to do.
And if that number did allow people to actually call me using that number, I wouldn't want to switch to some unknown 3rd party to rely on providing me with a phone number. Who knows how long they will be around and how reliable they are? What if they go out of business in a year? Then what happens to my phone number?
Google isn't going anywhere. I'm 100% confident that Google Voice will be around for a long, long time...so I don't have to worry about my number going away or the service suffering from poor performance.

Sending mms isn't a huge problem as I can always send an email with the image, although I wish sending mms was an option on Google Voice. It's easy to simply email images from a smart phone to someone, and the images look far better when received in an email as opposed to a text anyway. But the drawback there is that those people I send images to who do not have smart phones won't get the image right away since they can't check email from their phone, they have to check their email using a computer. For example...my wife is a non-smart phone user...she doesn't want to use a smart phone...doesn't want to pay for another data package (understandable). So if I email her an image, she won't get it until she checks her email...and if we're on vacation or something, she may not check her email for days.

And sending/texting an image to a verizon email address is inconvenient. I don't want to maintain a separate text/email for everyone I want to send an mms to. But, of course, it is an option...it's just a hassle.

Maybe I'm being picky, but I just want things to be as quick and simple as possible with mms...and yes, I could always pay for the texting service, but that's the whole reason I went to Google Voice in the first place.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, you have to pick your poison until Google adds it to GV.

shanc21

Reaction score

Does your wife have a data plan though? Some people have texting on their phone but not a data plan. I suspect that they can't send MMS to an email address without having a data plan or incurring data charges per usage, which some people don't want to do.