Any App to SD solutions?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 3' started by cyber3dx, Oct 14, 2011.

1. cyber3dx

cyber3dx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Boy, I'd sure like to move some apps to the Ext SD Card. Anything out there?

2. REMilk

REMilk Member

Ratings:
    +7
    My understanding is that on the Droid 3, you cannot move apps to the ext-SD card, but you can move them to the int-SD (Media area).

That being said, I, and several others, have reported that there seems to be a problems with moving apps to the Media Area of the int-SD card. This problem shows up in several ways, you wake your phone up or power/down power up ant the apps are messed up. When you go to Menu/Settings/Applications/Manage Applications/ the app name was been replaced by a cryptic name such as com.appname...... If you try to run the app, the message 'App not found' pops up.

This problem was been around for several months. I first encountered it on my OG Droid and I encountered it on my Droid 3. I no longer move apps from 'phone storage' to 'media area.'

Good Luck,
    Bob

3. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    Curious, why would you want to move apps to the sdcard-ext? Is the D3 short on app storage space?

4. REMilk

REMilk Member

Ratings:
    +7
    The Droid 3, in my case, with approximately 2GB of available space for apps and other items, has more than sufficient storage space. Remember, this space is used not just for app storage, it is used for cache areas. It may also be the area that is used to store text messages.

Based on the app count from "1-Tap Cleaner", I have 215 apps installed and approximately 1.25 GB space.

The reason folks want to move apps from 'phone area' to 'media area' frees up space in the 'phone area'. You might add more apps and text messages to this area.

Bob

5. cyber3dx

cyber3dx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmm, I thought my apps were placed in the Int SD Card (which is full). Didn't know apps had their own place. interesting.

6. REMilk

REMilk Member

Ratings:
    +7
    The apps are place in the 3 GB "phone storage" area of int-SD card.

7. JohnnytheK

JohnnytheK Senior Member

Ratings:
    +34
    How do you free up the Media area, I've got 1.3G free in the app partition but only 156M in the media area?
    I've looked in managed apps menus and nothing is set to media area so how come nearly all the 4G is used up?
    I only a have a few audio books and only a few podcasts.

8. REMilk

REMilk Member

Ratings:
    +7
    This area is also used for pics and videos taken with your Droid 3. I recommend that you take the time and look and see what it there.

Use the included-Droid 3app "Files', the select 'Internal Phone Storage'.

Move pics and videos from this area to you SD Card.

Browse and delete any files that you do not need.

By moving pics and videos and deleting unneeded files, you should be able to reclaim space.

Bob

9. JohnnytheK

JohnnytheK Senior Member

Ratings:
    +34
    Thanks, I knew that but only freed up another 150M. All big memory apps are on the other partition or the 'real' SD card.
    I deleted a bunch of ebooks and that didn't do anything until swapped batteries this morning and now I got 500M free.
    Still seems like a lot of memory is used up and I'm not sure what it is. I'll re-check the audio books bet they're quite large.

10. Cegtalk2u

Cegtalk2u New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use App2SD....I can move many but not all my apps on my sd card.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

11. REMilk

REMilk Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Since you are running a Droid 3, I do not think the apps have been moved to the user-installed SD Card, but rather to the 'media area' of the internal storage.

Not all apps have been developed to run outside of the phone storage area, In addition, widgets should not be moved, nor should any home screen replacements/launchers be moved out of the phone storage area.

Moving apps out of 'phone storage' to, depending on the Droid, 'media area' or SD card will help with your phone storage area problems. Just be forewarned, that many folks have had a problem with "disappearing apps", which affects apps moved from the 'phone storage area' to the SD-Card or 'media area'.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011