Any app out there to lock the phone from the screen not

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
if you want to be able to wake the phone by pressing the volume or camera button you should check out a widget called "screen mode widget"

has three options
1: default where you have to press the top button then slide
2: awake stay.... the screen goes black like normal but all you need to do is hit any button and it comes back alive does not make you slide to unlock
3: screen stay. keeps the screen on until you change it

Trip

Reaction score
Garrett beat me to it :)

Heres the barcode for Screen Mode Widget

chart

TightLines

Reaction score
None of these programs seem to accomplish what I'm looking for (just picked up my droid a couple hours ago)

I don't want to get rid of the swipe to unlock feature, I just want to be able to press buttons other than the awkward power button to bring up the swipe to unlock.

Silver Member
Reaction score
Haha, its just awkward.

try it with headphones in. makes it even harder to press
or while it's in the car dock.

my preferred method is to slide the keyboard open to turn the display back on. if the display goes black while the keyboard is open, any key will turn the display back on.

if the display turns off on you and you are able to catch it quick enough, you won't get the lock screen.

synctek

Reaction score
I assume the powerbutton is used because it is out of the way and flush with the phone edge, which helps to reduce unintentional screen activation and save battery life. My only complaint about having to hit the power button is while its plugged in to the car AUX port. If I want to change songs, I have to maneuver my thumb to hit the button, then swipe, then change toonz - all while driving. I decided it wasn't safe and just a pain in the @$$ so now I just set the screen not to shut off at all when I listen to tunes in the car [GREAT BATTERY by the way]. One of the app developers could develop display profiles widget for the Droid like on the (blackberry (for sound) that applies to the display time-outs, with a bit more control.

synctek

Reaction score
Ok - ScreenModeWidget fixed my issue - thanks garret........I need to pay better attention to the threads :icon_eek:

hart.jordan

Reaction score
I also use ScreenMode Widget... it seems this is what you are asking about, it gives you the option to have the phone act 3 different ways.