antivirus for droid

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That's actually a misnomer. More malware than it is a virus. And I have my doubts as to whether lookout could have helped you with that one.

There is, as of now, no need for an anti virus on android, as there are no viruses. There is of course this one reported case of malware. Best advice is only download apps from the marketplace, never from text messages, and pay attention to the comments for each app as well as the permissions it is asking for.

tappin and a talkin

OP
Hawaiian Princess

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
im always weary of any tech devices, including Apple products, for we never know how and when they will hit. not to say wikileaks already happened LOL. it was joke...
but I agree only from the market is what I was referring too in regards to this subject.
thanks for the input

Aloha from Hawaii ... Droid 2 Global

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hawaii was asking what people use, which is the best etc. I was just telling her what works for me. I claimed to be expressing an opinion not the Gospel Truth. This is a forum where people can express their opinions, learn and exchange information.

So please don't tell me how wrong I am for trying to do so, just because I am new.

As far as reading, yes Android is based on Linux. But it is not entirely linux. There are some parts that are based on C and Java, which have had viruses.

Lastly, If I have a question that others share too, and I find a good answer I am going to post it.

I am sorry you feel you are the only one qualified ever to give advice about anything and everything Android, but I don't share that belief.

Good Day!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

He isn't the only one qualified, but he knows what he is talking about. Antivirus programs at this given time are pointless, becausen they are scanning for something that doesn't yet exist. The reason it is hard to get a virus to work on linux, or unix for that matter, is b/c you have to give it permission to do it's harm.

Also, android does it's job of managing task very well. Especially since the 2.1 era. You by using a task killer are therefore working against androids internal task management system. Apps being open more often than not do not run, but rather are frozen in the memory. Only really badly coded apps do otherwise.

Listen to the people who are well established in this community. They more often than not know what they are talking about.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
and juice defender? go or no go?

Aloha from Hawaii ... Droid 2 Global

JD has mixed results. The premiss of it actually would save battery, so try it and see how you fair, but many don't use it and get at least a work day out of it.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
If you can hack it you can virus it! Yes! I needed to see some fearmongering without knowing the real facts!

Hawaii, do you know anything about Linux? If not, you should look into it. In essence any Linux virus requires Root access to affect the system. The only thing Android users really have to worry about is malware, and that's up to YOU to prevent. Antivirus software on the Droid is about as needed as a .750-caliber handgun for personal defense while shopping in a grocery store.

Cdjones187

Reaction score
I laugh every time I see a antivirus app for android. Everyone already explained why so no need to go any further.

As per Task killers goes. I dont believe they work one bit. The ones that claim to be able to "one click" kill/kill all processes have never worked for me. They continue to run.

I use Autokiller, its a memory optimizer that works along side android built in task manager. For ME, this application works wonders. I always have 50+mb free ram with the Akiller set to "ULTIMATE". I believe it just modifies androids task manager.

Along side with cache mate (which i paid for because I like it and it works) my ram/rom stay clean and freed up as much as possibly without taking away from the phones performance.

As for juice defender, I also bought it. I came to the conclusion its just one more app running (constantly) that takes up resources and really in the end takes away from batter life. Just use the power widget to control whats being used on your phone. Extended controls is a even better alternative to the build in power controls. You can set "profiles" per say for a bunch of different settings depending on your wifi/external power/3g,2g connection/data/sync etc....

Hope this was helpful. Any other questions and I'd be pleased to give you my opinion. Though I like to think I'm right %98 of the time ;]

OH AND, if anyone thinks they can build a virus for android PLEASE send it to me and I'll personally test it on my laptop running Android 2.2

Last edited:
OP
Hawaiian Princess

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
*note to self* do not ask any more questions and certainly do not post anything on Droid Forums. For it may have been repeated so many times and only annoy people who's already answered "many times".

THANKS EVERYONE....im done

Aloha & Bye from hawaii

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
*note to self* do not ask any more questions and certainly do not post anything on Droid Forums. For it may have been repeated so many times and only annoy people who's already answered "many times".

Aloha & Bye from hawaii

Don't let a few grumpy people ruin your stay! This place is usually a lot better then this..

*cracks the whip*

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Aloha & Bye from hawaii

Don't let a few grumpy people ruin your stay! This place is usually a lot better then this..

*cracks the whip*

He's right... :)

Now everyone play nice :icon_ banana:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I swear, it must be the season as to why people are being so grumpy lately!

Hawaii, you have my apologies for any affront I may have caused and on behalf of the forum for others. :)

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Aloha & Bye from hawaii

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience thus far. I hope we can improve upon that in the future. We are just trying to help although some people refuse to listen to reason/proven facts.

The main thing you have to watch out for is simple apps like a flashlight app that needs to control hardware also wanting to have access to your location services and have full internet access and access to your contacts. These are signs that the app is either very poorly written or is most likely malicious.

The only way we learn is by asking questions so ask away.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

GromitDroid

Reaction score
I apologise about being all defensive and huffy as well.
I don't know everything which is why I am here to learn.

And yes, there is a huge difference between malware, spyware, and a virus. Unfortunately though at the end of the day they are still nasty bug-a-boos that you wish you never picked up in the first place. So for me, personally, I perfer to have my shield up to protect against boogies. I understand this extra "security" is 99.9% unnecessary, but that is how I roll. My android security blanket so to speak.

That said I understand you guys feel it is an unecessary resource hog and I respect that...

Mutual understanding and respect that is all I am hopping for...and a totally sweet phone.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

bookie

Reaction score
I only use lookout cause it helps find my phone when it gets lost in the couch cracks by making it scream lol

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App