Antivirus App bad for Motoralo Droid

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's not that Linux or Android can't get viruses. It's that Android has no viruses. Therefore, Antivirus apps for Droids or any other Android phone aren't possible at this point and those out there are redundant.
Bingo. No one's said Android can't get a virus, but there are ZERO confirmed viruses for the OS. So what exactly would the benefit be of an anti-virus on Android when there aren't any viruses to infect the OS?

izu516

Reaction score
So what exactly would the benefit be of an anti-virus on Android when there aren't any viruses to infect the OS?

The answer: Malware
A quick lookup of this app on my Droid Eris shows that it asks for Internet access. That's fine - for updating (nonexistent) virus databases right? However, it also asks for your Browser bookmarks, contacts, texts, system settings, LOCATION, running apps...suddenly this app gets a lot more intrusive. Coupled with the fact that there aren't any viruses for Android, what else could this app be?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So what exactly would the benefit be of an anti-virus on Android when there aren't any viruses to infect the OS?

A quick lookup of this app on my Droid Eris shows that it asks for Internet access. That's fine - for updating (nonexistent) virus databases right? However, it also asks for your Browser bookmarks, contacts, texts, system settings, LOCATION, running apps...suddenly this app gets a lot more intrusive. Coupled with the fact that there aren't any viruses for Android, what else could this app be?

Just delete the anti-virus and move on. There's nothing confirmed that will damage the Android OS. Cite me an example, with proof and I'll give in. Short of that there is no need for an anti-virus on your Droid.

Even if the Android OS merely 'hosts' a virus and transfers it from PC to PC, your PC's anti virus software should do it's job and pick it up on it's own.

izu516

Reaction score
Actually, I just looked at its Permissions from the Market. I didn't download it :D.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

This is common for MANY apps on the MarketPlace. Look more, there are a LOT of apps that gain access to stuff they have no reason for (i.e. I tried d/l BatteryWidget last night and it will NOT work, least on the Droid w/o location data... give me a ****ing break). Lots of games want too much access as well.

And NO I'm not saying you need the AV, just be mindful of what your installing, this is likely how the malicious people will break in when they do.