Antivirus App bad for Motoralo Droid

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by upsman79, Jan 3, 2010.

1. upsman79

upsman79 New Member

Downloaded app Anitvirus a couple weeks ago and had no issue until 2 day ago. I went to go to my maps link and that was it. The phone went crazy. I could not maks calls and all my messages came four or five times. I went to the Verizon Store and they asked me if I had that app because I was the third in two days. I took it off and all is well. SO, If YOU HAVE DOWNLOADED ANTIVRUS APP ON MOTOROLA DROID REMOVE BEFORE YOU HAVE THE ISSUES I HAD!!!!
  2. jasonb

jasonb New Member

I had an anti-virus app on my droid for the first couple weeks and then deleted it because I felt it wasn't really needed.
  3. stanrc

stanrc New Member

You don't need an AV for a phone.
  4. mikesugarvictor

mikesugarvictor New Member

I used this program for a while with no issues, then recently updated and had the same crazy issues, so I uninstalled.
  5. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

True ^^^^^^^^^
  6. caldin

caldin New Member

phones can get viruses, that's why they made an AV for the phone.
  7. SSHGuru

SSHGuru New Member

Wrong. Android which is based on Linux CANNOT get viruses.

8. droid d'oh

droid d'oh New Member

9. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

Some reading about viruses on Android. Basically saying the program can only screw up itself so AV's are really not neccesary. I copied and pasted for your review.

A central design point of the Android security architecture is that no application, by default, has permission to perform any operations that would adversely impact other applications, the operating system, or the user. This includes reading or writing the user's private data (such as contacts or e-mails), reading or writing another application's files, performing network access[​IMG], keeping the device awake, etc.

An application's process is a secure sandbox. It can't disrupt other applications, except by explicitly declaring the
    permissions it needs for additional capabilities not provided by the basic sandbox. These permissions it requests can be handled by the operating in various ways, typically by automatically allowing or disallowing based on certificates or by prompting the user. The permissions required by an application are declared statically in that application, so they can be known up-front at install time and will not change after that.
  10. stanrc

stanrc New Member

Well I wouldn't say that it CAN'T get viruses, I believe that the viruses/malware that are out there are designed to run on windows. People aren't coding viruses to specifically attack phones yet, although I don't see it being too much longer before they try.

Also the iphone rick roll wasn't really a virus, it was because people jailbreak their phones and then don't realize that a default password is set to ssl into it. All the guy did was take advantage of that.
  11. droid d'oh

droid d'oh New Member

lol, norton will slow your sh** way down
  12. caldin

caldin New Member

and it's not correct to say that a linux based OS for a phone can't get viruses. like the mac before recent times, it's not widely used enough for people to code viruses for that specific OS. now mac has viruses, and Linux is just as capable of having viruses coded for that OS as well. anything that uses computer code can have a virus, it's just whether somebody cares to code a virus for it or not.
  13. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

See the bold, ever notice that before you install an app from market place the program is REQUIRED to give you a list of what it will have access to, that's the loophole, pay attention to those disclaimers, many of the programs get access to stuff they have no need for, and short of not installing the app there is NOTHING you can do about it (i.e. many games get access to your phone, which includes call history, possibly contacts ect.)

Thank you, I'm so tired of people saying Linux and MAC (which is Linux) is so 'safe'... For the last two years MACs were the FIRST of the three OS to be hacked at the annual HackerCON conventions... ANY OS can and will be hacked, it's just a matter of what's 'worth the time' for the hacker and that comes down to usage. With people using these phones to access their bank accounts, online selling sites ect. these phones could (with enough numbers) be well worth it.

Now, with that said the AV that is available now seems pretty useless. And with so many updates all the time it will not be able to keep up anyway. Just be smart with what you are doing and keep an eye out for news concerning security vulnerabilities.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  14. SSHGuru

SSHGuru New Member

Rather than debate it to death why not just admit that at this time you don't need an Anti-Virus program.
  15. izu516

izu516 New Member

It's not that Linux or Android can't get viruses. It's that Android has no viruses. Therefore, Antivirus apps for Droids or any other Android phone aren't possible at this point and those out there are redundant.
  16. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Bingo. No one's said Android can't get a virus, but there are ZERO confirmed viruses for the OS. So what exactly would the benefit be of an anti-virus on Android when there aren't any viruses to infect the OS?
  17. izu516

izu516 New Member

The answer: Malware
    A quick lookup of this app on my Droid Eris shows that it asks for Internet access. That's fine - for updating (nonexistent) virus databases right? However, it also asks for your Browser bookmarks, contacts, texts, system settings, LOCATION, running apps...suddenly this app gets a lot more intrusive. Coupled with the fact that there aren't any viruses for Android, what else could this app be?
  18. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Just delete the anti-virus and move on. There's nothing confirmed that will damage the Android OS. Cite me an example, with proof and I'll give in. Short of that there is no need for an anti-virus on your Droid.

Even if the Android OS merely 'hosts' a virus and transfers it from PC to PC, your PC's anti virus software should do it's job and pick it up on it's own.
  19. izu516

izu516 New Member

Actually, I just looked at its Permissions from the Market. I didn't download it :D.
  20. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

This is common for MANY apps on the MarketPlace. Look more, there are a LOT of apps that gain access to stuff they have no reason for (i.e. I tried d/l BatteryWidget last night and it will NOT work, least on the Droid w/o location data... give me a ****ing break). Lots of games want too much access as well.

And NO I'm not saying you need the AV, just be mindful of what your installing, this is likely how the malicious people will break in when they do.
Search tags for this page
app to delete droid x viruses
does a anti virus on droid x2 screw up your phone

download update formotoralodroid

how install os in motoralo