Antivirus App bad for Motoralo Droid

upsman79

Reaction score
Downloaded app Anitvirus a couple weeks ago and had no issue until 2 day ago. I went to go to my maps link and that was it. The phone went crazy. I could not maks calls and all my messages came four or five times. I went to the Verizon Store and they asked me if I had that app because I was the third in two days. I took it off and all is well. SO, If YOU HAVE DOWNLOADED ANTIVRUS APP ON MOTOROLA DROID REMOVE BEFORE YOU HAVE THE ISSUES I HAD!!!!

jasonb

Reaction score
I had an anti-virus app on my droid for the first couple weeks and then deleted it because I felt it wasn't really needed.

mikesugarvictor

Reaction score
I used this program for a while with no issues, then recently updated and had the same crazy issues, so I uninstalled.

caldin

Reaction score
phones can get viruses, that's why they made an AV for the phone.

droid d'oh

Reaction score

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Some reading about viruses on Android. Basically saying the program can only screw up itself so AV's are really not neccesary. I copied and pasted for your review.

A central design point of the Android security architecture is that no application, by default, has permission to perform any operations that would adversely impact other applications, the operating system, or the user. This includes reading or writing the user's private data (such as contacts or e-mails), reading or writing another application's files, performing network access , keeping the device awake, etc.

An application's process is a secure sandbox. It can't disrupt other applications, except by explicitly declaring the
permissions it needs for additional capabilities not provided by the basic sandbox. These permissions it requests can be handled by the operating in various ways, typically by automatically allowing or disallowing based on certificates or by prompting the user. The permissions required by an application are declared statically in that application, so they can be known up-front at install time and will not change after that.

stanrc

Reaction score
Wrong. Android which is based on Linux CANNOT get viruses.

phones can get viruses, that's why they made an AV for the phone.

Well I wouldn't say that it CAN'T get viruses, I believe that the viruses/malware that are out there are designed to run on windows. People aren't coding viruses to specifically attack phones yet, although I don't see it being too much longer before they try.

Also the iphone rick roll wasn't really a virus, it was because people jailbreak their phones and then don't realize that a default password is set to ssl into it. All the guy did was take advantage of that.

caldin

Reaction score
and it's not correct to say that a linux based OS for a phone can't get viruses. like the mac before recent times, it's not widely used enough for people to code viruses for that specific OS. now mac has viruses, and Linux is just as capable of having viruses coded for that OS as well. anything that uses computer code can have a virus, it's just whether somebody cares to code a virus for it or not.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Some reading about viruses on Android. Basically saying the program can only screw up itself so AV's are really not neccesary. I copied and pasted for your review.

A central design point of the Android security architecture is that no application, by default, has permission to perform any operations that would adversely impact other applications, the operating system, or the user.
An application's process is a secure sandbox. It can't disrupt other applications, except by explicitly declaring the
permissions it needs for additional capabilities
See the bold, ever notice that before you install an app from market place the program is REQUIRED to give you a list of what it will have access to, that's the loophole, pay attention to those disclaimers, many of the programs get access to stuff they have no need for, and short of not installing the app there is NOTHING you can do about it (i.e. many games get access to your phone, which includes call history, possibly contacts ect.)

and it's not correct to say that a linux based OS for a phone can't get viruses. like the mac before recent times, it's not widely used enough for people to code viruses for that specific OS. now mac has viruses, and Linux is just as capable of having viruses coded for that OS as well. anything that uses computer code can have a virus, it's just whether somebody cares to code a virus for it or not.
Thank you, I'm so tired of people saying Linux and MAC (which is Linux) is so 'safe'... For the last two years MACs were the FIRST of the three OS to be hacked at the annual HackerCON conventions... ANY OS can and will be hacked, it's just a matter of what's 'worth the time' for the hacker and that comes down to usage. With people using these phones to access their bank accounts, online selling sites ect. these phones could (with enough numbers) be well worth it.

Now, with that said the AV that is available now seems pretty useless. And with so many updates all the time it will not be able to keep up anyway. Just be smart with what you are doing and keep an eye out for news concerning security vulnerabilities.

Last edited:

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Rather than debate it to death why not just admit that at this time you don't need an Anti-Virus program.

izu516

Reaction score
It's not that Linux or Android can't get viruses. It's that Android has no viruses. Therefore, Antivirus apps for Droids or any other Android phone aren't possible at this point and those out there are redundant.