Anticipating arrival of droid, questions now for when it comes

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by thejas, Jul 31, 2010.

1. thejas

thejas Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all! I am sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum but it is a mult-category series of questions. I have ordered a rooted droid on ebay that is not here yet but before it comes, I have some questions:

1. I am going to use pageplus as my wireless provider (yes esn is clean). As you may/may not know, pageplus has awful limits for data (which is ok by me as i plan to use it mainly in my wi-fi-ridden home). I have heard that the motorola droid tends to b heavy on hidden data transfering regarding multiple applications. Is there a way to start the phone and immediately cut out all 3g or any data on a cell network? I just want to use it on wifi at home.

2. Should I activate/transfer my number to this phone only after I've custom-romed it the way I like?

3. When they say 10 slots for cpu speed, are these automatically switching clocks based on cpu need or are they user-selectable with 10 different mhz levels to choose from?

4. Can anyone recommend the best screen protector? Zagg is basically what I've heard of.

5. What is launcher pro? I've seen it in a few posts and have no clue.

6. I need to adjust my wap settings for pageplus. Is there a way to do this manually? Like my old LG voyager was ##program10000 to adjust these hidden settings. It would be neat if there was an app to do this. Is there one?

Thanks, TheJas

2. kyle94481

kyle94481 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can answer numbers 4 and five for you. I wouldn't want to give you any false info on the others, as I'm not sure about them.

4. As for the best screen protector, yes Zagg is probably the best you can go with in terms of durability. Watch their scratch test videos on youtube and decide for yourself.

5. Launcher Pro is a replacement launcher for your droid. The launcher is basically the screen that you see when you unlock your phone (The one with the apps on it, not the drawer that you can slide out). Heres a link to a video showcasing laucher pro,

3. thejas

thejas Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response! Anyone else with anything to add?

4. kyle94481

kyle94481 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, upon further examination from setCPU yesterday, I can now answer number 3.

3. Each slot is a predetermined speed that the cpu will clock to. In setCPU, you can move the sliders on the main screen (the ones used for changing clock speeds) to these different presets. For example, in the kernel I'm running (P3Droid's 1.1GHz Standard
    Voltage, if you wanted to know.), I can only move the slider from 700Mhz to 900Mhz. I'll try and get a picture later on today for you.

5. thejas

thejas Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I see. Thanks kyle.

6. deaf leppy

deaf leppy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    He's right, but I have a bit more to add.

"3. When they say 10 slots for cpu speed, are these automatically switching clocks based on cpu need or are they user-selectable with 10 different mhz levels to choose from?"
    Using SetCPU, you can create profiles in which the CPU changes mhz levels based on a set of "rules". For example, I have a profile set so that when my phone falls below 50% battery, my cpu clocks down to 600 mhz max, 250 min.
    SetCPU also has CPU governors, which also help control the mhz level.. Meaning, if you're using the "ondemand" setting, and you have 1000 mhz max,
    250 min, the CPU will only use all 1000 when it's needed. If you're screen is off, or you aren't running any apps, it will only be pulling 250mhz until you need all 1000.. At least that's the way I think it works. 99% sure..

As an answer to #2,
    If you're worried about data rates, I would wait to activate until you've already set up your rom and gotten all of the "necessary" root apps (setcpu, Rom manager if you're using Clockwork, terminal, etc..). That way you're definitely using your wifi connection to download the apps..

7. thejas

thejas Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's really cool. It's amazing how customizable things have gotten. I would imagine that this could also potentially make your battery last MUCH longer?

8. deaf leppy

deaf leppy Member

Ratings:
    +0