anti virus/malware question

joshxdroid

Reaction score
I have tried some of the anti virus app available on the play store, i found out that avg bogs down my system to a turtles pace both on my android and my pc. I found that avast slows my system, and i have tried others but haven't seen any evidence that they actually do anything. So my question is, can someone tell me that they've seen a program that actually find threats, and one that doesn't bog down my system. (if there is a discussion on this topic, please point me to it)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I use lookout, but they're all pretty good. Your best bet is to use them and delete them. These apps alter how the system operates.

So once a month I download, use and delete it. Ymmv:)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

jtc303

Reaction score
I use lookout as well... no complaints... ad network detector by lookout too... very good

OP
J

joshxdroid

Reaction score
94lt1 said:
I use lookout, but they're all pretty good. Your best bet is to use them and delete them. These apps alter how the system operates.

So once a month I download, use and delete it. Ymmv:)

Excellent, thanks for the suggestion.

chuck54

Reaction score
Do these apps protect against spyware? Iv wanted spyware for awhile, not for anything illegal but just wanted to see what was being said about me....

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2

Johnnytron

Reaction score
... These apps alter how the system operates...

Could you elaborate on this a little?

I run lookout all the time and have not noticed anything, but that might be because I'm sure of what changes I'm looking for..

OP
J

joshxdroid

Reaction score
Johnnytron said:

I run lookout all the time and have not noticed anything, but that might be because I'm sure of what changes I'm looking for..

Also one other thing i wouldn't mined someone elaborating on is, has anyone ever had one of these anti viruses actually locate a threat? I never have

jch81

Reaction score
I thought someone said on here one time that the way Android OS were made that they couldnt get viruses? Maybe I dreamed it idk.

T0M65

Reaction score
I use AVAST on my RAZR and haven't noticed a change in speed or lag. I think it's just as responsive as my wife's RAZR without it.

Android and iPhones can certainly get malware. It's not just a Windows thing, ya know. ;)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2

Put simply, these apps, for lack of a better term. Sort of take over the phone... they alter the phones behavior..

So say they don't.. I know for a fact that when left installed on my devices, they acted strangely, had more force close issues... stuff like that. They would also lag, and seemed very glitchy and unstable. Ymmv

ambrown

Reaction score
I've used Lookout since I got this phone and have been fairly well pleased with it's performance. It's lightweight and doesn't hinder the speed if my phone (except when downloading a new app, but even then it's not bad). I did try AVG and I would recommend you stay far far away from the mobile app, it's a horrible app and uninstalling seemed to cause some problems.

I haven't tried any other anti-virus/malware apps.

That said, the best thing you can do to prevent malware from being installed on your phone is to be aware of what you're downloading and who you're downloading it from. There is no Android "virus" out there right now that acts in the way a computer virus would. The things you have to look out for are malicious apps that steal personal info. Even apps like Lookout just scan against known malware and only get a hit if the rogue app has already been identified.

A good example of a malicious app was the "Netflix" app that was suspiciously in the Android Market before the official Netflix app was. The developer wasn't Netflix and typical of bad apps it was something like "littletroller9899934"(not really but thats an example of a less reputable developer posing as the one putting out a well known brand app). The fake "Pinterest" app hit before the real one as well and it's only goal was to capture log on info.

So really the best thing to do is be smart about what you're installing on your device. I did also find ad detection apps very helpful in finding out what the apps on my phone are collecting/can collect about me. Lookout's "Ad Network Detector" was helpful, as was "Addons Detector", in finding out what data apps are collecting. Just be aware that any app that is ad supported will show up on those services. But it helped me know that an innocuous Shakespeare's Hamlet app had WAY more permissions than was needed to display text and show me ads.

Sent from my Droid Incredible (2.3.4) on the Droid Forums app.

Johnnytron

Reaction score
Ah, okay. Valuable info from both the above posts, thanks. I have never experenced a force close with outlook, and it "scans" every app I download. But, to answer the other question, no, it has never identified or reported a rogue app or virus.